|Race||Void terror (Demon)|
|Status||Killable (WoW), Deceased (Lore)|
This ravenous demon broke free of its cage and gained access to the western wing of the prison, devouring all the inmates held there. Occu'thar's gluttony resulted in a body too bloated to escape its environs, effectively turning the prison wing into its new holding cell.
- Focused Fire — Occu'thar sets his gaze on the location of a random player, then inflicts 35,000 Fire damage every 1 sec to players within 12 yards of the targeted location.
- Searing Shadows — Occu'thar inflicts 105,000 Shadow damage to players in a 60 degree cone in front of him, and increases Shadow damage taken by 100% for 30 sec.
- Eyes of Occu'thar — Occu'thar forms an Eye of Occu'thar on every player for 10 sec. The eyes bore into their target hosts with the Gaze of Occu'thar.
- Gaze of Occu'thar — The Eye of Occu'thar gazes at its target host, inflicting 6,000 Shadow damage every 1 sec for 10 sec.
- Occu'thar's Destruction — After an Eye of Occu'thar remains attached to a player for 10 sec, it fully bores into the host and detonates with Occu'thar's Destruction, inflicting 25,000 Shadow damage on all players.
Managing Searing Shadows
Searing Shadows is periodically cast on the tank. It does significant damage to the tank, so the tank should be willing to spend a short-cooldown defensive ability when he sees the casting bar. The second tank needs to taunt off the tank suffering from Searing Shadows before the next Searing Shadows is cast. A tank who gets blasted by Searing Shadows while still suffering the +100%-damage-taken debuff from the previous Searing Shadows blast will probably die without using a major defensive cooldown and massive healing.
That said, the other tank doesn't need to taunt immediately. The most common reason to delay the taunt is if the spare tank is suffering from Eyes of Occu'thar and needs to group up for the AoE.
Managing Focused Fire and Eyes of Occu'thar
Occu'thar alternates between Focused Fire (creates a puddle of pain and doom) and Eyes of Occu'thar (creates an eye-bomb on each player who is not the current tank).
Tactic 1: All the DPS forms a single pile. When Focused Fire is cast they all run to a designated second location and wait for Eyes to spawn. AoE down the eyes. When the Focused Fire is cast again, return to the first location. Alternate throughout the raid. This tactic has the drawback that the entire raid is taking damage while they evacuate the Focused Fire puddle.
Tactic 2: A location is designated for Eye AoE (common choices are a Raid Beacon or just "on the butt"). DPS splits into two piles who stand clear of the Eye killing zone. You want to prevent the Focused Fire puddle from overlapping with the Eye killing zone (The puddle has a radius of 12 yards, so be at least that far away). When Focused Fire is cast, group in the Eye killing zone. Wait for Eyes to spawn. Kill Eyes. Split up into Focused Fire piles again. This tactic has the drawback that inattentive players can cause the Focused Fire puddle to overlap the Eye killing zone.
Tactic 3: Designate specific player as the Eye gathering point (possibly using a Raid target icon). All DPS spread out and stay out of Focused Fire. When Focused Fire is cast get out of the puddle, then group up on the designated player and wait for Eyes to spawn. AoE down the Eyes. Spread out and repeat. This tactic can break down if the designated player dies. It also makes AoE healing ineffective.
If the inactive tank gets an Eye, he must group up with DPS and delay taunting until the Eye is destroyed. As long as he taunts off the active tank before the active tank suffers a second Searing Shadows, the raid will be fine.
The loot is randomly chosen from:
- Tier 12 hand and leg items
- Ruthless Gladiator PvP set and PvP offset items; neck, back, wrist, hands, waist, legs, feet, rings and trinkets.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2011-07-14): "The Eye of Occu’thar shared cooldown on Focused Fire has been increased, while eye health has been decreased."
- Hotfix (2011-06-29): "Eye of Occu’thar damage and health is now properly scaled for 10- and 25-player versions of the dungeon."
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Added.
| Preceded by:
Lead Inmate of Baradin Hold
| Succeeded by:|