- For the Warlords of Draenor currency, see . For other uses of the word Oil, see Oil (disambiguation).
The term oil refers to a variety of liquid substance items used for different purposes. Certain types of oil are used as ingredients for alchemy recipes, as potions, or applied by enchanters to provide buffs. Other types of oil are used as resources, particularly in Warcraft II and Warlords of Draenor.
"Oil" without any adjectives frequently refers to a black, thick flammable liquid used as fuel, similar to real life petroleum (also called "oil"). During the Second War large oil pools found beneath the surface of the sea were harvested both by the Alliance of Lordaeron and the Old Horde. Special platforms were constructed by both sides to drill for oil, and oil tankers were used to haul it to the land. Oil was commonly used in the construction and powering of ships, but was also utilized by the Alliance in the development of both experimental flying craft and extremely powerful weapons. Gnomish inventors were responsible for perfecting the technique of extracting various chemical compounds out of oil to make gunpowder and explosives.
This section concerns content related to the original World of Warcraft.
In the years following the Third War, oil was used once again, although not as widely this time by goblins. After the Shattering, the eastern part of the now-sunken Thousand Needles, the Shimmering Deep was harvested by goblins for it. The prospectors referred to oil as the "black gold", also calling it "Tanaris Tea".
This section concerns content related to Mists of Pandaria.
This section concerns content related to Warlords of Draenor.
During the late stages of the War in Draenor, when the Iron Horde was enslaved by the Burning Legion, the Alliance and the Horde used oil in a similar way to their predecessors - to fuel their warships. It was thus essential in the two factions' naval invasion of Tanaan Jungle, and was one of the resources harvested by garrison generals who spearheaded this offensive. At this point, oil was harvested not only from water but also from beneath the earth, and Apexis Crystals were used by diviners to reveal oil deposits there.
Alchemist buffing oils
- , 200
- when applied to a melee weapon it gives a 10% chance of casting at the opponent when it hits; lasts 30 minutes
- (quest reward - cannot be created)
- increases your attack speed by 10% for 30 seconds; cooldown is five minutes
- , 205
- does 50 fire damage to any enemies within a 5 yard radius around the caster every 3 seconds for 15 seconds
- (drop - cannot be created)
- Increases armor by 50 for one hour
- , 165
- when applied to a melee weapon it gives a 15% chance of casting III at the opponent when it hits; lasts 30 minutes
Enchanting buffing oils
- Some sort of oil can be applied on armor for sneaking.
In the RPG