Oil platforms, also known as oil derricks or oil rigs, are large structures resting on massive pylons that drill deep beneath the surface to pump oil from concentrated oil patches in oceans and lakes. They are not to be confused with oil refineries, which are used to process gathered oil. Although oil is commonly used in the construction and powering of ships, it has been utilized in the development of both experimental flying craft and extremely powerful weapons.
- Main article: Oil Platform (WC2 Human)
The oil platform needed to be built on oil patches in order for oil to be harvested and refined. Alliance tankers were used to build these oil platforms as well as ferry the oil back to a shipyard or oil refinery where it could be processed and put to use.
- Main article: Oil Platform (WC2 Orc)
The oil platform needed to be built on oil patches in order for oil to be harvested and refined. Horde tankers were used to build these oil platforms as well as return their cargo back to a shipyard or oil refinery so that it could be processed and used as the overseer chose.
In the RPG
World of Warcraft
This section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
Both Warcraft III and the early years of World of Warcraft downplayed the importance of oil in the war efforts of both Alliance and Horde, and as such oil platforms were uncommon in Azeroth, but their number have steadily been growing since Wrath of the Lich King. Interestingly, the yaungol of Pandaria have their own methods of harvesting oil, by using smaller windmill-styled derricks.
- Sludge Fen - Barrens
- Venture Co. Operations Center - Stranglethorn Vale
- South Seas islands - Tanaris
- Fizzcrank Pumping Station - Borean Tundra
- Blue Sky Logging Grounds - Grizzly Hills
- Refinery - Isle of Conquest
- The Slick - Kezan
- KTC Oil Platform - Lost Isles
- Mirkfallon Lake - Stonetalon Mountains
- Crystal Shore - Cape of Stranglethorn
- Fire Camp Ordo - Kun-Lai Summit
- Fire Camp Ruqin - Kun-Lai Summit
- Fire Camp Yongqi - Kun-Lai Summit
- Fire Camp Osul - Townlong Steppes
- Hatred's Vice - Townlong Steppes
- Bilgewater Beach - Krasarang Wilds
- Pinchwhistle Point - Spires of Arak
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Resources of the Land, Oil
- ^ The Destruction of Stratholme (WC2 Orc)
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Alliance Naval Units, Oil Tanker
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Naval Units of the Horde, Oil Tanker
- ^ Magic & Mayhem, pg. 184
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game, pg. 206