|Location||Heart of the Shadowlands|
Oribos, the Eternal City (pronounced oh-ree-bus and also known as the Undying City) is a very ancient city located at the heart of the Shadowlands. All souls who enter the Shadowlands are first sent here to be judged by the Arbiter before being sent off to their appropriate afterlives. Constructed by the First Ones and predating all memory, the Eternal City serves as a nexus between the various domains of the Shadowlands and is a gathering point for power brokers, wheelers, dealers, and anima traders. Oribos is the central player hub of the Shadowlands.
With the Arbiter having gone mysteriously dormant and with all incoming mortal souls being damned to the Maw, Oribos and its Attendant and Broker inhabitants welcome members of both the Alliance and the Horde to the citadel, but force them to set aside their differences while inside its walls as the city is considered sacred neutral ground.
- Vestibule of Eternity in Bastion
- Bleak Redoubt in Maldraxxus
- Starlit Overlook in Ardenweald
- Pridefall Hamlet in Revendreth
- Waystone to Oribos in the Maw
Flowing through the very center of Oribos is the soul stream. This is made up of all the mortal souls entering the Shadowlands, which are now all flowing into the Maw. Brokers offer their wares in the Hall of Curiosities, while profession trainers can be found in the Hall of Shapes and a bank can be accessed in the Hall of Holding. From the Ring of Transference, travelers can use portals and flight master's services to reach the other Shadowlands zones, while portals back to Orgrimmar and Stormwind City in the land of the living are available at the city's entrance. The Arbiter herself resides in a sacred chamber atop the very crown of Oribos, where she has judged every mortal soul crossing into the Shadowlands since the dawn of time.
Maps and subregions
- Main article: Oribos NPCs
Various notable characters from Warcraft history show up in Oribos, incuding:
- Bolvar Fordragon, Calia Menethil, and Taelia Fordragon (at the Enclave)
- Baine Bloodhoof, Thrall, and Jaina Proudmoore (after freeing them from Torghast)
- Highlord Darion Mograine (patrols)
- Thassarian and Koltira Deathweaver ( looking at the Maw)
- Admiral Taylor
- Sunwalker Dezco
- Ol' Emma and Philia Fintallas in the Hall of Holding
- Griftah in the Broker's Den
Notes and trivia
- If a player dies in Oribos, they will automatically resurrect at the touchstone next to Fatescribe Roh-Tahl as soon as they Release Spirit.
- If a player jumps off the edge of the city, they will be magically halted in mid-air and teleported back to up to the nearest ledge after a few seconds.
- Emissary Ba'silk refers to the city as an "ancient engine".
- The name "Oribos", as well as its symbol, are inspired by the real-life ouroboros symbol, depicting a snake or dragon eating its own tail as a representation of the cycle of life and death.
- The pronunciation of Oribos is also similar to the correct pronunciation of Erebos, the region of the Greek underworld where the dead first arrive immediately upon death.
- Oribos is made of a strange ore the Brokers have not found anywhere else, but found also in a held by a champion of Maldraxxus as well as some found within Tred'ova.
- Pre-release screenshots
- Concept art
- Patch 9.0.2 (2020-11-17): Added.
- ^ a b c Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-01. World of Warcraft: What’s Next Panel Recap. Retrieved on 2019-11-02.
- ^ a b worldofwarcraft.com - Shadowlands
- ^ Opulence Ba'hare#Quotes
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-01. BlizzCon 2019 - World of Warcraft: What's Next. Retrieved on 2019-11-02.
- ^ a b c Blizzard Entertainment 2020-05-21. Shadowlands Preview: Oribos. Archived from the original on 2020-05-21.
- ^ The Art of World of Warcraft: Shadowlands, pg. 25