May 24, 2016
Team-based multiplayer shooter
Overwatch is a team-based shooter where heroes do battle in a world of conflict. It features a wide array of unique heroes, ranging from a time-jumping adventurer, to an armored, rocket-hammer-wielding warrior, to a transcendent robot monk. Every hero plays differently, and mastering their abilities is the key to unlocking their potential. No two heroes are the same.
References in World of Warcraft
- , a baby version of the character Winston, is a battle pet given to players who bought the Overwatch special editions such as the Origins Edition, Collector's Edition, or the Game of the Year Edition. Baby Winston appeared in the short Overwatch video, "Recall".
- is an item that unlocks the hidden appearance for , the artifact weapon for Holy paladins. It resembles the rocket hammer wielded by Reinhardt, and also grants an effect on similar to Reinhardt's Barrier Field, with the lion's head.
- , the 2016 Feast of Winter Veil gift, resembles the weapon of the same name wielded by Mei, and also has the flavor text "It's A-Mei-Zing!".
- The Ogrewatch Brawler's Guild team is a pastiche of several Overwatch characters.
- The spawnbrothers Genjo and Hanzin of the Shimeji Clan are a reference to the brothers Genji and Hanzo of the Shimada clan.
References in Overwatch
- When inspecting the hieroglyphics in Anubis, you can find the Horde symbol.
- In the Hollywood map, Goldshire Pictures, Goldshire Studios, and Goldshire Way all reference the town in Elwynn Forest.
- The Alliance symbol can be found in a number of locations in Hollywood, including the Goldshire Pictures logo and on a vehicle.
- The cameras in Hollywood display the name "Kilrogg", a reference to Kilrogg Deadeye.
- A tablet displaying Hearthstone can also be found in Hollywood.
- On the soda fountain in the Route 66 restaurant, there is a beverage called Dr. Boom, which is a reference to Dr. Boom himself and a Hearthstone legendary card.
- Sombra's Winter Wonderland skin "Rime" has a skull resembling the skull on Frostmourne, as well the skin color scheme and the radiating cold is a reference to the frost wyrms, while the skin's name could be the shortening of "Rimefang", in Icecrown Citadel.
- Some of Junkrat's quotes mirror those of goblins.
- Tracer's Blink ability is a likely reference to the mage's .
- One of the characters in Fighters of the Storm resembles Garrosh Hellscream.
- Rikimaru Ramen Shop has a sign resembling a murloc. When shot, the sign makes murloc sounds.
- Various objects associated with children are often decorated with cartoony depictions of murlocs, such as Timmy's cast from the Cinematic Trailer, and Alejandra's coin purse.
- The sandcrawler the attackers spawn in on Temple of Anubis has a Murloc emblazoned on the side, along with some classic Mrglrglrlgl text.
- The Murloc pictured bears great resemblance to the Bluegill Warrior Hearthstone card, with similar colourings on its body.
- Mei's mug is designed like the head of a baby murloc.
- Blizzard World is an amusement park full of Warcraft references.