May 24, 2016
Team-based multiplayer shooter
Overwatch is a team-based shooter where heroes do battle in a world of conflict. It features a wide array of unique heroes, ranging from a time-jumping adventurer, to an armored, rocket-hammer-wielding warrior, to a transcendent robot monk. Every hero plays differently, and mastering their abilities is the key to unlocking their potential. No two heroes are the same.
References in World of Warcraft
- , a baby version of the character Winston, is a battle pet given to players who bought the Overwatch Origins Edition. Baby Winston appeared in the short Overwatch video "Recall".
- is an item that unlocks the hidden appearance for , the artifact weapon for Holy paladins. It resembles the rocket hammer wielded by Reinhardt, and also grants an effect on similar to Reinhardt's Barrier Field, with the lion's head.
- , the 2016 Feast of Winter Veil gift, resembles the weapon of the same name wielded by Mei, and also has the flavor text "It's A-Mei-Zing!".
- The Ogrewatch Brawler's Guild team is a pastiche of several Overwatch characters.
References in Overwatch
- When inspecting the hieroglyphics in Anubis, you can find the Horde symbol.
- In the Hollywood map, Goldshire Pictures, Goldshire Studios, and Goldshire Way all reference the town in Elwynn Forest.
- The Alliance symbol can be found in a number of locations in Hollywood, including the Goldshire Pictures logo and on a vehicle.
- The cameras in Hollywood display the name "Kilrogg", a reference to Kilrogg Deadeye, a one eyed orc.
- A tablet displaying Hearthstone can also be found in Hollywood.
- On the soda fountain in the Route 66 restaurant, there is a beverage called Dr. Boom, which is a reference to Dr. Boom himself and an Hearthstone legendary card.
- Sombra's Winter Wonderland skin "Rime" has a skull resembling the skull on Frostmourne, the sword of the Lich King, as well the skin color scheme and the radiating cold is a reference to the frost wyrms, while the skin's name could be the shortening of "Rimefang", a boss in the Icecrown Citadel raid.
- Some of Junkrat's quotes mirror those of goblins.
- Tracer's Blink ability is a likely reference to a mage spell of very similar functionality.
- One of the characters in Fighters of the Storm resembles Garrosh Hellscream.
- Rikimaru Ramen Shop has a sign resembling a murloc, a frog-like creature. When shot, the sign lets out sounds characteristic to murlocs.
- Various objects associated with children are often decorated with cartoony depictions of murlocs, such as Timmy's cast from the Cinematic Trailer, and Alejandra's coin purse.
- The sandcrawler the attackers spawn in on Temple of Anubis has a Murloc emblazoned on the side, along with some classic Mrglrglrlgl text.
- The Murloc pictured bears great resemblance to the Bluegill Warrior Hearthstone card, with similar colourings on it's body.
- Mei's mug is designed like the head of a baby murloc.
- Blizzard World is an amusement park full of Warcraft references.