Owls are broad-faced, nocturnal birds known to hunt rodents and reptiles. They look different from most birds in that they have wide faces, short curved beaks, and large, front-facing eyes.
Owls are found throughout Teldrassil, Felwood, and Winterspring. In Alterac Valley, the Alliance has befriended the owls. Owls with dark feathers have been found native to Outland, living in Shadowmoon Valley, but nowhere else. However, the similar-looking windrocs and kaliri do appear in other areas.
They are a symbol of the human region of Tol Barad and are used by the Stormpike clan of dwarves. The owl is also a common emblem of the night elves, and priestesses of the moon and huntresses have the ability to summon magical, spectral owls.
- Barn Owls are found in Duskwood.
- Crested Owls are critters living in Teldrassil.
- Cursefeather Owls can be found in Azsuna.
- Duskstalkers can be found into The Jade Forest.
- Forest Owl appeared on Mount Hyjal during the quest .
- Ghost-Talon Owls and Lunarfall Owls are found in alternate Shadowmoon Valley.
- Hyjal Owl and Hyjal Screechers are found on Mount Hyjal.
- Ironbeak Owls are found in Felwood, also appearing in the hunter variation.
- Ivory Starlings can be found in the Jade Forest.
- Lightwing Hunters can be found in The Jade Forest.
- Lunarfall Owls can be found in Talador.
- Pygmy Owls can be found in Val'sharah.
- Observer Owls are patrolling above The Incursion and Shrine of Seven Stars.
- Shadowwing Owls are found in Shadowmoon Valley.
- Snowy Owls are critters living in Winterspring.
- Strigid Owls are found on Teldrassil, also appearing in the hunter and screecher variations.
- Stormpike Owls can be found in Alterac Valley, acting as the dwarf counterpart to the horde's Frostwolves.
- Sylvan Owls can be found in Val'sharah.
- Tawny Owls are found in the Twilight Highlands.
- Vale Owls are found in Feralas.
- Winterspring Owls are found in Winterspring, also appearing in the screecher variation.
- Alit is a rare owl living in the south-eastern of Western Plaguelands.
- Archimedes is the pet owl of the Garrison.
- Anmarie is the pet owl of Moonbell, the alliance stable master of the Silver Covenant Pavilion.
- Habrok <The Great Owl> located at the Fields of the Eternal Hunt in Halls of Valor.
- Hell-hoot has been terrorizing Winterspring. She was originally called Deathwing, until the locals discovered the name was already taken.
- Hoo is Valeena's pet critter located in Lor'danel on Teldrassil.
- Hootie, in Dalaran, is the owl pet of Seiren, and is also the TCG hunter owl pet.
- Hutihu found in Ashenvale and he is the pet of Su'ura Swiftarrow.
- Jia can be found with the blood elves of Falcon Watch. Since she doesn't look like a kaliri, a windroc or a shadowwing owl, it is probable the blood elves took her with them from Azeroth.
- Olm the Wise is a rare spirit owl found flying around Felwood.
- O'Reily is an owl found in northern Tanaris near Narain Soothfancy's old house.
As a companion pet
- Darkshore Sentinel (pet) is a rare drop from Burninator Mark V or Athil Dewfire in Darkshore.
- and can be bought by Alliance players from Shylenai in Darnassus.
- Snowy Owl can be captured in pet battles in Winterspring during winter (as opposed to the Qiraji Guardling which can be captured in Silithus during summer).
- can be created by Jewelcrafters, but it might in fact be a Skytalon.
- is a reward from , a Frostwall Tavern/Lunarfall Inn quest that takes place in Shadowmoon Burial Grounds.
- is purchased from Marin Bladewing for 500 at revered with The Wardens.
- Long-Eared Owl can be caught in Highmountain and Stormheim.
- is sold by Draemus in Dalaran for 100 Pet Charms.
- Nightwreathed Watcher drops from Nightwreathed Egg, obtained from killing rares in Dakrshore.
- Northern Hawk Owl can be caught in Highmountain.
- drops from Gorebeak in Val'sharah.
As a mount
- is a druid-only mount and a reward from . It can carry other players on its back and the mount's colors change based on race.
- Archdruid's Lunarwing Form replaces , but speaking to Skycaller Faeb allows the player to change it back.
As a hunter pet
- Main article: Birds of prey
In the RPG
- Common owl
- Common owls are nocturnal birds of prey from 1 to 2 feet long, with wingspans up to 6 feet. They combine both talons into a single attack. Owls swoop quietly down onto prey, attacking with their powerful talons. They have good hearing, can move silently, and can see well in areas of shadowy illumination.
- Giant owl
- Snowy owl
Notes and trivia
- Not all creatures that use the owl model in World of Warcraft may actually be owls. A special breed of gemmed birds called Skytalons are found in the Emerald Dragonshrine of Dragonblight, and the windrocs and Kaliri of Outland, while using the same model, may or may not actually be owls.
- In the Warcraft III alpha, priestesses of the Moon rode giant owls that may have inspired the current-day seekers. Flying heroes were later removed from the game, and the priestesses were instead given frostsabers.