- "It's just a flesh wound."
- An often life-saving cooldown when being pounded on by multiple enemies, particularly in arenas.
- Pain Suppression is not affected by the global cooldown.
- Pain Suppression cannot be dispelled.
- Can be used even when stunned, serving as a very helpful panic button when surprised by rogues or warriors in PvP. When healing others, this feature also allows the priest to provide a substantial amount of damage mitigation for their target while stunned, such as when opposing players are attempting to CC (crowd control) the priest.
Although a powerful tool, like many of the Discipline priest's abilities, Pain Suppression's strength lies in preventing damage. Timing and anticipation of incoming damage is therefore key to making the most of it. Pain Suppression is best used just before the target takes a large amount of damage; since it is not on the global cooldown, priests can pop this then focus on shielding and healing the target. When used in this way, priests can allow their targets to survive an otherwise overwhelming onslaught. Since it has only an 8-second duration, waiting until the right moment to cast it is critical.
Pain Suppression really shines in a PvP or Arena situation. No one likes to have their enemies healed, so healers are often "target #1" and focused on by many enemies at once, especially in arenas. A common strategy for an opposing group is to all simultaneously blow their most powerful cooldowns and spells on the enemy's healer. To avoid being instantly knocked out of the game, a priest can pop this spell in an attempt to survive the onslaught. If used with any combination of fear, shield, or grenade, and heals; it is possible to survive an otherwise hopeless situation. Hopefully, while the priest was the focus, his enemies will have been destroyed or fairly weakened by teammates.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Cooldown increased from 3 minutes to 4 minutes.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): No longer reduces the target's threat by 5%.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): has been removed. Pain Suppression can now always be cast while stunned.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): No longer dispellable.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Moved to tier 5.
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): No longer can be cast while under the effects of Incapacitate or Cyclone.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Cooldown increased to 3 minutes, up from 2.
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): Is now usable on friendly targets, instantly reduces the target's threat by 5%, reduces damage taken by 40% and its cooldown has been reduced to 2 minutes.
- Patch 2.2.0 (2007-09-25): This talent will now reduce the chance for any buff on the Priest to be dispelled, rather than reduce the chance of dispelling buffs cast while it is active.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): Now reduces damage taken by 65% and increases resistance to Dispel mechanics by 65% for the duration.
- Patch 2.0.3 (2007-01-09): Added.