|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 5.0.4.
- For a general definition, see aura.
The paladin's auras, blessings, hands and seals are the four buffs that combine to give the class its flexibility. The auras are area of effect buffs; they affect all party and raid members within 40 yards of the paladin. A paladin may only have one aura active at one time. They are free to cast, with the only cost being the global cooldown. As such, it is wise to always have one aura or another running. Auras persist through death.
- You may not change auras while silenced or incapacitated; however, they are not counted as magic, and cannot be dispelled. The only exception to this is the druid's spell, which causes the aura to have no effect for the duration of the debuff.
- Auras do not stack. If two paladins in a party are using the same aura, only the greater of the two will be in effect, the other is effectively wasted. As with blessings, it is essential that the paladins coordinate to have two different auras running, rather than overlapping with the same one.
- does not stack with most resistance buffs.
There are many different auras available to paladins. Only the Devotion Aura is available to a newly-created paladin character; additional auras become available through training. The various auras are as follows:
As with all paladin buffs, usage of Auras is highly situational, and it is unwise to always rely on a single aura for all situations. Indeed, switching auras in combat is frequently beneficial. However, one thing that may not be immediately obvious is that most auras (in fact, all except Crusader) only benefit a player that is actively under attack (usually your tank). To clarify, the added armor from Devotion Aura is only useful to your combat classes, if your tank is doing their job, the casters will not be under attack and will have no need for it. The same is true for Concentration Aura; if your casters are never attacked, the question of spell interruption will never arise.
If you are soloing, you of course have free choice over your aura. Popular choices are Devotion or Retribution, mostly depending on the enemy at the time. Concentration Aura is also useful.
Improving auras with talents
The auras can be improved through the following talents:
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): . and merged into .