Emperor Shaohao (last emperor)
|Theater of operations|
The Pandaren Empire was the central government of the pandaren people in their homeland of Pandaria. It did not include lands west of the Serpent's Spine. The last Emperor of Pandaria was Shaohao. After he disappeared, the power in Pandaria shifted to the local level instead.
The Pandaren Empire dates back 12,000 years, 2,000 years before the sundering of the world. Denizens of a wondrous and fertile land, the pandaren once labored under the oppressive thumb of a monstrous race of ancient warlords known as the mogu. Through tenacity, diplomacy, and a unique form of unarmed combat, the pandaren staged a successful revolution that deposed the mogu and established a pandaren empire that would prosper for centuries.
During the bleak days that preceded the sundering of the world, when demons flooded onto Azeroth and threw the entirety of the mortal realm into jeopardy, the last Emperor of the pandaren discovered a way to protect his land from the devastation by traveling across his empire, to the temples of the August Celestials, and there allowing himself to be possessed by the Sha Primes, and then exorcised of them, and his corresponding negative emotions with them. Free of his negative emotions he began a ritual to sever Pandaria from the rest of Azeroth and move it out of harm's way. Though he eventually succeeded by becoming one with the land, he had failed to account for one final emotion; pride. Feeling Pandaria needed no help from outsiders, Shaohao had become possessed by the Sha of Pride, and when he became one with his land, the presence of this final Sha Prime within his soul caused Pandaria to become enveloped in an impenetrable barrier of mist; concealing it for ten thousand years from the outside world. After Emperor Shaohao disappeared, the power in Pandaria shifted to the local level. With all threats walled off there was no longer a need for an emperor anymore, making Shaohao the last Emperor of Pandaria.
The Pandaren Empire has been ruled by pandaren, jinyu and even hozen emperors. The majority of known emperors appear to have been pandaren, but this may or may not reflect the empire's lengthy history.
- Shu Blindeye
- Thunderpaw dynasty
- Emperor Rikktik
- Emperor Ku
- Rassharom (possibly jinyu empire)
- Emperor Shaohao (last)
In the RPG
The Pandaren Empire was founded before the Great Sundering of the world. It shared resources and mystic knowledge with the haughty night elves of central Kalimdor. As the night elves' obsession with the forces of magic drove them to the brink of madness, the gentle pandaren severed ties and left the night elves behind forever. The pandaren clans, or shao'dins, traveled far across the seas and established crude but beautiful cities of stone and sturdy bambus reed on an island they named Pandaria. They lived in peace for many generations until the Sundering. Some, including pandaren wardancers, then ventured forth from Pandaria, wandering Kalimdor and other lands on journeys of discovery. Wielding thin, delicately balanced blades, the pandaren wardancers quickly established themselves as some of the deadliest swordsmen of the world. A splinter group of pandaren arrived on Kalimdor in the aftermath of the Third War and has established itself in the Stonetalon region of the Barrens.
Note: The Pandaren Empire was originally an April Fools joke back when Warcraft III was still in beta, with the Pandaren being announced as a fifth race. The text, originally posted on the Battle.net site, was eventually re-adapted for the RPG. For the complete Pandaren Empire April Fools information see Pandaren (April Fools).
Notes & trivia
- Despite the lack of a central pandaren government in modern times, some otters are a protected species.
- Hailing from the secretive Pandaren Empire, the mighty brewmasters travel the world in search of exotic ales and the finest brewed spirits.
- ^ a b c Dave Kosak on Twitter
- ^ Mists of Pandaria Zone Preview: Vale of Eternal Blossoms - World of Warcraft (Retrieved 9/24/2012)
- ^ The Burdens of Shaohao — Part 1: Doubt: "[Shaohao] soaked back to his home in the Jade Forest ..."
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 91: "The Zandalari ranks then pushed into the Jade Forest, a dense jungle that had become the heart of the newly established pandaren empire."
- ^ Captured Nectarbreeze Farmer quotes
- ^ The Emperor's Burden - Part 8
- ^ Meet the Pandaren[dead link - archived copy]
- ^ Mount Journal entry for , , and
- ^ The Blank Scroll
- ^ Manual of Monsters, pg. 76
- ^ Alliance & Horde Compendium, pg. 21
- ^ http://classic.battle.net/war3/neutral/pandarenbrewmaster.shtml