- Penance damages three times, the first tick occurring instantly upon cast.
- prevents pushback and ensures that the effect of Penance is fully used.
- Penance is one of the only ways for a Discipline priest to deal instant damage.
- Penance is a Rare Paladin ability card in the World of Warcraft: Trading Card Game's Drums of War set that was created prior to the implementation of the Priest spell in World of Warcraft.
- Penance was a basic Priest spell in Hearthstone. It was removed during the game's Alpha and replaced with the card Temple Enforcer.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.2.5 (2017-06-13): 's effects are now included in Penance.
- Hotfix (2016-08-26): "Penance damage is now 190% of Spell Power (was 175%)."
- Hotfix (2016-08-22): "Penance mana cost has been reduced to 2.8% base mana (was 3%)."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): No longer does direct healing but can be cast while moving. Damage increased by 369%.
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): Now deals 10% less damage, but healing done is increased by 10%.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Damage and healing has been increased by 20%, now a cooldown of 9 seconds (was 10 seconds), and has a range of 40 yards for both friendly and hostile targets (was 40 yards for friendly and 30 yards for hostile targets).
- Hotfix (2012-09-18): "Penance's base damage has been reduced so that it now deals significantly less damage at lower player levels, and slightly less damage at level-85."
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Damage increased by approximately 300%. Cooldown reduced from 12 sec to 10 sec.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Mana cost has been increased by 7%, but healing has been increased by 20%.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Mana cost reduced.
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): Cooldown increased to 12 seconds, up from 10 seconds.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Penance can now be cast on the priest himself and the damage has been increased.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.