Pepe is a small bird that (most of the time) lives in the commander's garrison. Pepe can also be found out in the world of Draenor, and finding Pepe's four costumes is the objective of the achievement .
- Players can right-click him, thereby causing him to ride on their heads for 1 hour. The effect does not persist through death.
- Pepe — You've got a friend!
- Since Pepe is a critter, he can be affected by various toys:
- Another version of Pepe can be found atop the crow's nest of one of the Transport ships in the Lunarfall / Frostwall Shipyard. This version of Pepe cannot be targeted or interacted with and does not appear to serve any actual purpose.
- Pepe was created by 3D artist Jordan Powers. Powers first created Pepe almost two years prior to the release of Warlords, to "help breathe some life into a 3D project". Powers began including the little bird in all of his work, later giving him a name and eventually a personality.
- Pepe's "birthday" is February 24, 2013, when he was first revealed on Powers' Facebook. Powers accompanied the image with the comment, "My scene was looking kinda dull, so I added a bird to it. I have named him, 'Pepé' and he is TOTALLY BOSS."
- Since his discovery by players in the garrison, Pepe has gone on to become a celebrated icon in the community, with players frequently including the tiny bird in selfies, as well as in various memes on social media. One notable example of this popularity was a series of fan art images created by ZHArDoom (扎尔杜姆) that envisioned the bird dressed as, at the time, all thirty-three playable characters in Heroes of the Storm, and which was featured in a blog post on the official Heroes of the Storm website. Pepe was also featured in a cameo role in one of the first full Hearthstone television commercials. This popularity appears to have been responsible for the later expansion of the character with the addition of the NPCs and achievement, as well as the Pepe plush toy, the release of which was announced in a special blog, accompanied by an #IFoundPepe Twitter hashtag campaign.
- The official Pepe plush is available from the Blizzard Gear store, and can grip onto various surfaces such as hats and monitors, mimicking Pepe's tendency to sit on adventurers' heads.
- On October 14th World of Warcraft's official Facebook page uploaded an album titled #IFoundPepe including a lot of pictures with both the in-game Pepe and the plush version.
- was added in Legion, allowing the fishing bobber to be replace by a wooden Pepe.
- is a cloak that drops in Battle for Mount Hyjal. There is likely no connection to Pepe the bird aside from the name.
- The Pepe craze apparently reached even Suramar's nobility during the events of Legion.
- Patch 6.2.3 (2015-11-17): Pepe should now remain with players that enter into a Timewalking dungeon.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Added.
- Pepe (diver)
- Tiki Pepe
- ^ Jordan Powers' Twitter profile. Retrieved on 2014-11-22. - "3D Artist for World of Warcraft. Nerf blaster enthusiast. Connoisseur of bad sci-fi movies. Creator of Pepe."
- ^ a b c Jordan Powers on Tumblr. Retrieved on 2014-11-22.
- ^ File:Pepe early facebook.jpg
- ^ Vaeflare 2015-05-02. The Fan Art of ZHArDoom. Retrieved on 2017-01-13.
- ^ https://twitter.com/cataclyst78/status/606259459770359809
- ^ It’s All About Pepe: New In-Game Outfits and Plush! (2015-10-13).
- ^ http://gear.blizzard.com/index.php/default/pepe-plush.html
- ^ https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.520150098147113.1073741853.117810281714432&type=3
- ^ Ly'leth Lunastre#Court of Stars - In lighter news, there is a new fashion trend sweeping the palace. There is an obsession with placing ornamental orange birds on their heads. Baffling, truly.
- It’s All About Pepe: New In-Game Outfits and Plush! (2015-10-13)
- Jordan Powers on Tumblr (2014-11-21)