The Pet Journal is a window tab found in the Collections interface. It provides listings and details concerning non-combat pets both collected and not collected, as well as allowing players to queue for pet battles as part of the Pet Battle System. It also provides access to the ability, as well as the 'Summon' button used to select a particular pet to be the player's in-game companion.
The left-most pane provides a list of all pets (both collected and not collected), with a search function and a choice of filters.
The top-right pane displays the stats and abilities and other information on any pet which is dragged to that pane.
The bottom-right pane consists of three Battle Pet Slots. Dragging a pet to one of these slots will make it part of your current battle pet team, replacing any pet previously occupying that slot. Each Battle Pet Slot displays a review of the pet, showing the pet's name, type, abilities, level, health and experience. Pets' abilities can also be chosen in this pane. Pets will be displayed in-combat in the order of the slots that they occupy; when battling wild pets, the pet in the first slot will always open combat.
At the bottom-left of the window is the 'Summon' button, allowing a pet to be summoned as the player's in-game companion. At the top-right can be found the ability, while at the bottom-right is the 'Find Battle' button, queueing the player for a PvP pet battle match against another player with a reasonably similar team of pets.
The window also displays the total number of pets owned by the player, and the player's total Battle Pet Achievements score.
For a listing of all known pets see the list of companions.
To summon a random pet from the journal, use
To summon a random favourite pet, use
To summon a specific pet by name (works with either a given name or the default name), use
- Patch 7.3.0 (2017-08-29): A “Summon Random Favorite Battle Pet” button has been added to the Pet Journal.
- Patch 5.1.0 (2012-11-27):
- The quality of each pet is now visible in its slot in the Pet Journal.
- Pets can now be filtered by name, type, rarity and level, and filters will remain in place each time the Pet Journal is viewed.
- It is now possible to search locations in the Pet Journal. For example, searching “Westfall” will display all the Battle Pets that can be found in Westfall.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Redesigned and moved from the Spellbook & Abilities interface to the newly created Mounts And Pets interface. Renamed to Pet Journal from the companions tab.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Redesigned and moved from the character info interface to the Spellbook & Abilities interface.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added to the character info interface, under the pets tab.