- For the NPC located in the Hall of Shadows, see Pirate (Hall of Shadow).
The term pirate now refers to a much wider selection of traits, and while several groups of criminals branded as pirates do sail the Great Sea and search for treasure, other factions prefer to remain secretive, reserving piracy for the inner ranks of their organizations. Needless to say, most pirates are considered less clean than your average sailor.
Synonym terms for a pirate includes: freebooter, privateer, corsair, buccaneer, raider, sea king, etc.
Many pirates have the buccaneer class, although not all pirates are buccaneers.
Following the Second War and the Invasion of Draenor, Kul Tiran fleets patrolled the trade lanes hunting pirates and marauders on the high seas. Areas directly under the control of pirates are Bloodsail Hold in Plunder Isle and Freehold in Tiragarde Sound in Kul Tiras.
What follows is a list of pirate organizations within Azeroth.
- Blacksail Crew
- Blackwater Raiders
- Bloodsail Buccaneers
- Defias Brotherhood
- Dread Crew
- Dread Fleet
- Great Sea Privateers
- Irontide Raiders
- Fogsail Freebooters
- Northsea Freebooters
- Oona tribe
- Red Blade
- Rotting Mire pirates
- Seawing Saboteurs
- Southsea Freebooters
- Thalo'dan Privateers
- Greenbelly's Raiders
- Briona's Buccaneers
- Virtuous Blades
- Wastewander (formerly)
- Southshore privateer fleet
There are also pirate groups on alternate Draenor.
- The Bonefleet
- Giras the Guileful - His surprise attacks were legend, though he was just as infamous for his gambling addiction. He sails with his ship Snake Eyes and his submarine The Veiled Threat.
- Vhaka the Vile - Cursed for their evil deeds for terrorizing Draenor's seas without remorse, they lash out at the living with their ship The Last Wish and their submarine The Shiv.
- The members of the Hidden that attacked the ship of Greydon Thorne, the Wavestrider, were initially considered to be pirates by the Wavestrider's crew. Makasa Flintwill later brought it and doubted that they were pirates at all.
- Some pirates make reference to Neptulon's Locker, seemingly Azeroth's equivalent of the real-world euphemism Davy Jones' Locker which refers to the bottom of the sea. To be "sent to Davy Jones' Locker" means to be killed in a shipwreck or drowning.
- ^ Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos Game Manual
- ^ Kul Tiran Executioner says: For the crimes of piracy, theft, and murder, the courts have found you guilty. Piracy is one of the most vile of crimes under Kul Tiran law and you will be served justice.
- ^ Garrison Mission: The House Always Wins
- ^ Garrison Mission: For Hate's Sake
- ^ Traveler
- ^ : "[...] any man, woman, or child found consorting with the Blackwater Raiders will be sent straight to Neptulon's locker."
- ^ Bloodsail Oarsman yells: They be on either side of us! Send 'em down to Neptulon's Locker!
- ^ Bloodsail Corsair says: I'll send ye down to Neptulon's Locker, ye three-gallon pufferfish!