Great Dark Beyond
- Main article: Great Dark Beyond
The Great Dark Beyond represents the mortal and the physical universe. It is an infinite living realm composed of innumerable stars, worlds, moons, and mortal civilizations. Azeroth is found in it, and it is merely one of the countless worlds drifting through vast reaches of the Great Dark. Azeroth has a few pocket dimensions.
- Main article: Emerald Dream
The Emerald Dream is an ethereal realm of spirits and untamed nature that exists alongside Azeroth. The titanic keepers forged it to act as a map for the evolutionary path of Azeroth's flora and fauna. As life ebbs and flows across the physical world, the spiritual energies that stature the Dream keep pace with it.
- Main article: Ny'alotha
- Main article: Shadowlands
The Shadowlands are nightmarish realms of decay, labyrinthine spiritual planes teeming with the souls of the dead who have passed from the world of the living. They have existed ever since mortal life arose in the physical universe. Its main realms are Ardenweald, Bastion, Maldraxxus, Revendreth, and the Maw. There is also at least one pocket dimension in it.
- Main article: Twisting Nether
The Twisting Nether is the astral plane between worlds that lies in parallel with the Great Dark Beyond. The forces of Light and Void bleed together at its boundaries, engulfing the Twisting Nether in perpetual strife. Sometimes, the volatile energies that pervade the Nether intrude upon the physical universe, warping reality beyond measure. There are also a few pocket dimensions within.
Light and Void
Light and Shadow are the most fundamental cosmic forces in existence. Although contradictory in nature, they are bound together on a cosmic scale as one cannot exist without the other. Pure Light and Shadow dwell in a realm outside the borders of reality, but shades of their presence are found in the physical universe. Light and Shadow bleed together at its boundaries, engulfing the Twisting Nether in perpetual chaos.
These planes are not known where they are located exactly.
- Dread Expanse is the realm created by the Sha of Fear.
- Realm of Y'Shaarj is a twisted version of Azeroth.
- Twilight Realm is a plane used by members of the Twilight dragonflight.
- Za'qul casts spells which move adventurers into a Fear realm or a Delirium realm.
In the RPG
- Main article: Plane (RPG)
- In the Warcraft universe there have been some quotes about the "Heavens" and "Hell". These are likely flavor lore and in reality are meant to be the Shadowlands as the souls of the death travel there.
- Heavens: It is said that guardians took up swords of light to defend the heavens. It It has also been said that the Light "burns eternal in Heaven".
- Hell: A few references have been made to Hell, as a place where evil individuals go to after death. Sylvanas Windrunner once wished for Arthas Menethil to go to Hell.
- The Old Gods ruled over the primal (first, original) plane until the coming of the titans. This likely means the Great Dark Beyond.
- Murmur came from a dimension of the cosmos unfathomable to mortal minds.
- The Reliquary owns a "Grand Vault" the location of which is a closely-guarded secret. Some believe it is not even on this plane of existence.
- When Garrosh Hellscream had Theramore Isle destroyed with a mana bomb, its arcane power caused anomalies of realities and dimensions ripped asunder. One could even glimpse other worlds.
- The void revenants are a race of parasitic void-beings that tear holes through the planes of reality, consuming and absorbing the energies and beings within.
- Warp Shades partially tear an enemy into another dimension.
- Aluneth is a strange, fickle and powerful entity of pure arcane energy hailing from another realm of existence that was brought to the Nexus when blue dragons at some point while manipulating the fabric of reality tapped into this other realm and made contact with the strange arcane entity.
- Consumers of souls in Brawler's Guilds are seen in an alternate dimension by wearing special goggles.
- Caverns of Time could be its own plane.
- Inner Veil is inside the "spectral realm" in the Kalecgos fight in the Sunwell Plateau raid, it's possibly its own plane.
- The Eye of Eternity is the personal domain of Malygos and as such may be its own plane.
- Portals open into Yogg-Saron's mind that could be its own plane.
- There are five portals within the Chamber of Aspects beneath Wyrmrest Temple two of which are open and lead to the Ruby Sanctum and Obsidian Sanctum. They may be their own planes or unknown locations in the world.
- Frostmourne (Icecrown Citadel) is a location where a player is transferred into if a player survives the Lich King's Harvest Soul ability. It could be its own plane.
- The Nexus Vault is accessed by way of portal and has a specific otherworldly appearance so it maybe its own plane. But Kalec says: "The Nexus Vault lies deep beneath the main spire. You will find its entrance in the lowest chamber of the spire's base." But this may only mean it's former entrance was there.
- Realm of the Mage Hunter is the domain of the eredar lord Balaadur, however the Archive of the Tirisgarde mentions that Balaadur took Ebonchill when its owner got ripped into the Twisting Nether, so it's uncertain if Balaadur's realm is a place in the Twisting Nether or it's own dimension. For comparison the quest has Kruul's Twisting Nether location described as his realm.
- Forge of Aeons a place sacred to the Army of the Light accessed by a Lightforged beacon on the Vindicaar may be its own plane.
- A version of the Chamber of Heart that Wrathion has constructed as a place between places as a way to distance himself from the corruption of the Horrific Visions entered from the Chamber of Heart.
- ^ a b c d e World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 12
- ^ Alex Afrasiabi on Warlords, Garrosh, and alternate Azeroth
- ^ Bashiok
- ^ The Warcraft Encyclopedia/The Warcraft Universe
- ^ World of Warcraft 2019-10-07. Watch the New Developer Content Update Preview (03:20). YouTube. Retrieved on 2019-10-07.
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 11 - 32
- ^ Warcraft: Orcs & Humans manual
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual
- ^ JINX World of Warcraft Paladin Legendary Class Men's Gamer Tee Shirt
- ^ Warcraft: Orcs & Humans manual
- ^ "Path of the Damned: Digging up the Dead", Warcraft III. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ "Legacy of the Damned: Sylvanas' Farewell", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ The Sundering, pg. 156
- ^ Aelnara gossip text
- ^ Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War, pg. 225
- ^ Adventure Guide entry for Xhul'horac
- ^ Archive of the Tirisgarde#Aluneth, Greatstaff of Magna
- ^ Image of Wrathion