Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
A city portal is permanent version of the Portal spell used by mages that appears in a fixed spot in a city. They tend only to appear in cities possibly due to their large power requirements. The exact mechanism of how they work is not known.
Most city portals connect to other cities, but some connect to well traveled points of interest.
According to Barnaby Fletcher, these portals run all day and night and leak tons of magical energy. It crystallizes around the edges and is generally regarded as trash. In Dalaran, this is apparently thrown away and washes down into the Underbelly.
Locations of city portals
|Active, still available for use|
|Active, but restricted in some way|
|Removed, no longer available since a patch|
|Dalaran (Broken Isles)|
- Patch 8.2.0 (2019-06-25): Portals to the Caverns of Time have been added to the Orgrimmar and Stormwind portal rooms and vice versa (from Caverns of Time to Orgrimmar and Stormwind).
- Patch 8.1.5 (2019-03-12): Many portals have been removed and replaced in favor of portal rooms in Stormwind City and Orgrimmar.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Portal area to Stormwind City returned to Dalaran's Silver Enclave.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Portals from Shattrath City and Dalaran to all major cities are removed.
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): Portal areas in all major cities now offer a portal to the Blasted Lands near the Dark Portal.