Statue of the Primus
|Occupation||Leader of the Necrolords|
The Primus is the missing founder and ruler of Maldraxxus and the five houses of the Necrolord Covenant. The most tactical and long-thinking of the Eternal Ones, he was a master strategist who was nearly unbeatable on the field of battle and was notorious for always thinking far ahead of everyone else. The Primus embodied the five traits of the ideal Maldraxxi soldier, traits he also instilled into the five houses: ambition, might, insight, guile, and the relentless pursuit of victory. In addition to his military might, he was also known as a legendary weaponsmith. All Necrolords receive a portion of the Primus' power in order to carry out their duty of defending the Shadowlands from external forces.
At some point, the Primus vanished from his sanctum. In his absence, the leaders of the three remaining houses now ruthlessly fight one another to claim the Seat of the Primus and the position of commanding the armies of Maldraxxus. Before he disappeared, the Primus left behind cryptic messages and prophecies concerning the coming of one who would embody the might of Maldraxxus and save the realm from itself.
In order to have Maldraxxus produce the strongest possible fighting force to defend the Shadowlands from external threats, the Primus devised a system of great houses, barons, and eternal war games (such as the Contest of Conquest) to weed out weakness and allow the army of the Necrolords to continually improve. The Primus himself used his time to hone his tactical and strategic skills beyond mortal constraints. It is said that he once sought out an unknown ally who could show him the infinite timeways and allow him to observe the same battle over and over again to see how slight differences in strategy and troop deployment could change the outcome of a conflict. After eons of such study, the Primus could instantly assess any situation and devise the likeliest path to victory. The Sepulcher of Knowledge contains all the military writings of the greatest minds of Maldraxxus, overseen by the Primus. The Primus had several apprentices, but the only one now remaining is Bonesmith Heirmir.
Ages later, the Primus noticed that the Jailer's influence was seeping outside of the Maw. Suspecting that Zovaal had worked with ancient allies during his original betrayal, the Primus left Maldraxxus to investigate the matter, leaving the margraves and barons of the realm to their own devices. His suspicions ultimately proved true, and the Jailer brought about his defeat. However, due to his tactical genius, the Primus had foreseen a time when the Shadowlands would face grave peril and could only be saved by someone from outside the realm. Thus, before he departed Maldraxxus, he left behind a trail of messages and boons to help mortal outsiders set things right. He placed a standing stone at the center of a lava pool in the House of the Chosen as a challenge of endurance and fortitude. In truth, this stone concealed an unfinished blade with no hilt, forged by the Primus himself and enchanted with five runes representing the five ideal Maldraxxi traits. Once fully empowered, this Blade of the Primus would act as a key allowing a worthy champion to access the Eternal One's sanctum, the Seat of the Primus, and discover the Primus' final message: a warning stating that the only hope for the Shadowlands was for all of the Eternal Ones to stand united once more, prevent the Jailer from escaping the Maw, and protect the Arbiter.
The Primus owned a set of powerful items which adventurers need to place on a statue of him within the Seat of the Primus:
- The , which gave the Primus the power to shape the flesh and bone of Maldraxxus
- The , which has great power
- The 
- The Staff of the Primus
- Maldraxxus storyline
- Main article: Through the Fire and Flames#Notes
- Main article: The Blade of the Primus#Notes
- Main article: Straight to the Heart#Notes
- Main article: In The Flesh#Notes
- Main article: Fit For a Margrave#Notes
- Main article: In Death We Are Truly Tested#Notes
- Main article: The Door to the Unknown#Notes
- Necrolords Campaign
- Main article: Power of the Primus#Notes
- Main article: Bindings of Fleshcrafting (quest)#Notes
- Main article: Pride of Place#Notes
- Main article: Pauldrons of Imperium (quest)#Notes
- Main article: Staff of the Primus (quest)#Notes
- The Primus' exact time of disappearance is unknown, but he has been gone a long time. Baroness Draka (who died and arrived in Maldraxxus during the First War) and Baroness Vashj (who arrived during the Invasion of Outland) both express familiarity with the Primus and are able to recognize his personal weapon style, but it's not clear if they ever personally met the Eternal One. Plague Deviser Marileth's journal implies that his disappearance may have occurred near the same time as the beginning of the anima drought. Similarly, a letter found on Margrave Stradama's body speaking of the Primus' disappearance and an unknown location gestures to both the warning the Primus gives the Maw Walker as well as the warning Margrave Akarek gave Draka.
- The Primus' visage is depicted on the Antiquated Verdigris Coin.
- Though Kel'Thuzad's minions all had the regalia of the Primus, he noticeably does not brag about having anything to do with the disappearance of the Primus, though bragging about everything else that is happening and antagonizing members of the Shadowlands who are familiar with him, such as Kael'thas Sunstrider and Alexandros Mograine.
- There are theories that the Runecarver is the Primus, which given the cinematic where both the Helm of Domination and Frostmourne were extracted from his mind, would place his disappearance at the very latest sometime during the First War or before the Second War, which is when Draka would've possibly met the Primus. Other theories are that Margrave Akarek is not dead and was also the Primus, using two identities to be able to be the master spy he was.
The Primus' statue with the Bindings of Fleshcrafting.
- ^ Cass Marshall 2020-09-24. World of Warcraft’s Maldraxxus is the grittiest zone in the Shadowlands. Polygon. Archived from the original on 2020-09-24.
- ^ a b Blizzard Entertainment 2020-06-11. Shadowlands Preview: Maldraxxus and the Necrolord Covenant. Archived from the original on 2020-06-11.
- ^ a b
- ^ a b : Baroness Draka yells: Though the Primus has long been absent from these halls, the Maw Walker embodies the virtues he instilled in the five houses.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Necrolord - Covenants - Shadowlands. Retrieved on 2020-06-11.
- ^ a b c d e Garth Holden 2020-09-24. A deep dive into Maldraxxus, the defenders of Death. SA Gamer. Archived from the original on 2020-09-24.
- ^ a b c d
- ^ Sybia 2020-09-24. WoW Shadowlands : Interview exclusive de Steve Danuser à propos de Maldraxxus (in French). Millenium. Archived from the original on 2020-09-24.
- ^ : Margrave Gharmal says: The Primus is long gone, Krexus!
- ^ : Plague Deviser Marileth says: In the Primus's absence, civil war is surely on the horizon. Margrave Stradama confides her fears in me. Without anima, our work--and thus our power--has stagnated.
- ^ Afterlives: Maldraxxus
|Voice of the Primus||Visions of the Primus|