|Title||Ruler of the Shen'dralar,
|Race||Night elf (Humanoid)|
|Former affiliation(s)||Kaldorei Empire|
|Location||The Athenaeum, Dire Maul|
Killable / Alive (WoW)
After the Well of Eternity's destruction, Prince Tortheldrin maintained control over the surviving Shen'dralar by imprisoning a demon in the ruins of Eldre'Thalas and letting his subjects siphon its strength. The exposure to demonic power twisted Tortheldrin's mind, and when the creature faltered, the prince ordered the deaths of many of his vassals so only he and his most fanatical followers would be left to enjoy the corrupt energy.
After the destruction of the Well of Eternity many Highborne slipped into lethargy. So it came to pass that Prince Tortheldrin ordered the building of pylons. These pylons should create a force field that could imprison the mighty demon Immol'thar. To feed their hunger for magic the Shen'dralar learned quickly the skill of siphoning the demonic energies of Immol'thar. The energies are used to grant immortality to these Highborne elves. This happened around the time of the exile of Highborne led by Dath'Remar Sunstrider, 7,300 years BDP.
1,200 years before the opening of the Dark Portal, the powers that imprisoned Immol'thar and controlled the pylons began to wane. So Prince Tortheldrin decided to kill some Highborne to maintain his source of unlimited power. At some point, he also killed Illyanna Ravenoak, her pet bear Ferra, and the elf Master Kariel Winthalus. He used his demonic power to bind Illyanna's spirit to her body.
The only way of killing the prince is to destroy the guardians surrounding the pylons to lower the force field. When this is done, destroy Immol'thar. With the Prince's power greatly reduced, you may attack and end him.
In Year 25, the Horde raided Dire Maul and banished its source of corruption, Immol'thar, back into the Twisting Nether. The prince personally rallied his followers and attacked the Horde, only to be killed by them.
- Dual Wield — Prince Tortheldrin wields a weapon in each hand.
- Thrash — Prince Tortheldrin thrashes, attacking two additional times.
- Arcane Blast — Prince Tortheldrin inflicts Arcane damage to a player and knocks them back.
- Whirlwind — Prince Tortheldrin inflicts Physical damage to all players within 8 yards.
- Counterspell — Prince Tortheldrin interrupts the spellcasting of a player and prevents further spellcasting for 15 sec.
- When talking to him before angering him
For 10,000 years I have ruled this kingdom. In that time, I have heard many fascinating tales from those that would walk the hallowed grounds of the House of Shen'dralar.
As I am bound to this place, I often exchange stories with visitors. Do you have a story for me or perhaps you would like to hear a story?
- After killing Immol'thar
- Who dares disrupt the sanctity of Eldre'Thalas? Face me, cowards!
This section concerns content related to Legion.
- Corrupted Remembrance - Ashbringer Hidden Artifact Appearance
- Why not both, your highness? I will tell you the tale of the black drake Nefarian's fall, if you would tell me more about this and the Ashbringer.
Ah, yes. I had heard of Nefarian's demise, but it is indeed a treat to see his grisly end firsthand. Were I not stuck in these halls I might pay his lair a visit.
Perhaps one day.
As for my end of our agreement, the tale of the Ashbringer is one of my favorites, of course.
<The Prince glances at your weapon and smiles.>
But it would seem you are familiar with that particular tale.
- What about this book? Can you tell me what it all means?
A human mage gave me a copy of that book many years ago. He kept trying to convince me to help him, going on about something to do with fighting fire with fire.
I cannot leave this place, as you know, so that was the last I saw of the strange fellow. He went off to reunite with his allies, I presume.
You are not the first to inquire about this book, however, I wonder...
- Who else sought you out?
She was a dwarf If I am not mistaken - and I am not often mistaken.
She came here with a copy of that very book, just as you have today, but had no proof of the black drake's death, and so my lips remained sealed. She was quite eager to learn about the Ashbringer's whereabouts.
Perhaps if you found her, she might be able to enlighten you further.
He was a Tauren If I am not mistaken - and I am not often mistaken.
He came here with a copy of that very book, just as you have today, but had no proof of the black drake's death, and so my lips remained sealed. He was quite eager to learn about the Ashbringer's whereabouts.
Perhaps if you found him, he might be able to enlighten you further.
- Tortheldrin was implied to have known the location of Ashbringer before Naxxramas was implemented. Furthermore, the Shen'dralar Zealots believed that if someone would defeat Nefarian and tell the tale to Tortheldrin, he would reveal Ashbringer's location, as Tortheldrin had a great interest in Blackwing Lair.
Due to his combination of spells, he could be considered a battle mage.