Quest:The Thunder Forge
|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 6.0.2.
90 (Requires 90)
+250 The Black Prince
The Thunder Forge is the second step of Wrathion's Patch 5.2 legendary quest chain. In order to complete this quest, players must have completed Wrathion's first step, (20 secrets) and (Wrathion exalted). Additionally, players must complete all of the Isle of Thunder solo scenario quests up to and including
The majority of this quest takes place in a relatively difficult solo scenario, which can be started by speaking with Wrathion in the Thunder Forges.
- 1 Objectives
- 2 Description
- 3 Rewards
- 4 Progress
- 5 Completion
- 6 Gains
- 7 Notes
- 8 Progression
- 9 Patches and hotfixes
- 10 External links
- Unlock the Thunder Forge
- Complete Wrathion's Task
Everything is prepared, <name>, and I have selected you to be my champion.
Once you have infiltrated the forge, meet me there. Be ready for a fight!
The Mogu will not appreciate my tinkering with their ancient forge. But we won't let that stop us, hmm?
It is dormant... but you're about to change that. If you're worthy.
- 294,000 XP
- +250 reputation with The Black Prince
Unlocking the Thunder Forges takes place in the fourth stage of the Isle of Thunder storyline, after completing . Players must have completed To the Skies! and all previous solo scenarios in order to see Wrathion at the Thunder Forges.
- Wrathion says: Champion, return now to the Isle of the Thunder King. I will meet you at the forge, where together we will create an instrument of legendary power.
- Anduin Wrynn says: To what end? What are you two working towards?
- Wrathion says: ...world peace!
- Anduin Wrynn says: Using a mogu weapon forge whose powers you barely understand?
- Wrathion says: My dear prince, you and I share the same goals. We only differ in our level of commitment.
- Wrathion says: Come, hero! Let us shape a new Azeroth together!
- Wrathion switches to his black whelpling form and flies off through the window.
Anduin follows up, depending on the faction:
- Alliance: Anduin Wrynn says: My friend, if you blindly trust a black dragon in the search for greater power, are you any better than Garrosh Hellscream? Please - just be careful.
- Horde: Anduin Wrynn says: Champion, I know that our people are at war, but if you blindly trust this black dragon in the pursuit of power, are you any better than your warchief? Please - just be careful.
Head to the base of the stair between and at in the Thunder Forges and speak to Wrathion to begin the solo scenario "The Thunder Forge".
- You made it! Excellent. Now we can begin.
As in the Isle of Thunder storyline, this scenario can only be completed once, so it is documented here.
Stage 1: Speak with Wrathion
- Speak with Wrathion to figure out how to activate the Thunder Forge.
- Speak with Wrathion
Walk forward a few yards to speak with Wrathion:
Stage 2: Forged from Trillium
- Pour the trillium into the molds and begin charging the Thunder Forge.
- Trillium poured
- Wrathion says: The trillium you brought me must be refined for our purposes.
- Wrathion says: This foundry should be sufficient. Help me manipulate the molds.
Go to the nearby Mogu Crucible and click it to proceed.
Stage 3: Activate the Thunder Forge
- Defend Wrathion while the Thunder Forge charges.
- Activate the Thunder Forge
- Slay Forgemaster Vul'kon
At the start of this stage three Shado-Pan appear, a leading two Shado-Pan Warriors, jumping down from the wall along with the mogu.
- Wrathion says: The Shado-Pan are here! They may be of use to us. We should help.
- The Shado-pan Defender has placed a Healing Orb!
- Wrathion says: This foundry should be sufficient. We will empower the metal with an electrical charge.
- Wrathion says: Be ready to fight if we draw too much attention.
- Shado-Pan Defender yells: Thank you for your help, adventurer. We will assist you as best we can in fending off the mogu.
Several waves of mogu will appear as Wrathion charges up the device, occasionally the forge will send out a buff.
- The Thunder Forge has begun to charge an area nearby. Run into it to overcharge yourself!
When near its full charge:
- You are being chased by lightning!
- Forgemaster Vul'kon equips his Staff and begins to channel the powers of lightning!
- Forgemaster Vul'kon equips his Hammer and begins to swing with great force!
Stage 4: Into the Forge
- Talk to Wrathion to start the Thunder Forge.
- Start the Thunder Forge
- Shado-Pan Defender says: The forge is safe, and we must take our leave. Good luck on your quest, adventurer.
- Wrathion says: Excellent! The materials are prepared. Follow me.
- Wrathion switches to his black dragonwhelp form and flies into the main Thunder Forge building, then returns to his humanoid form.
- Wrathion says: How interesting! This forge is built atop of ancient Titan machinery. Lei Shen, you clever, clever tyrant, you!
- Wrathion says: Now if I were a dwarf I would just start randomly pushing buttons. But you and I are here for a purpose.
- Wrathion says: Look at that. How easy it must have been for Lei Shen to build an empire, for he wielded the power to create worlds.
- Wrathion says: The mogu were using only a fraction of the resources available to them. Few among them possessed the cunning of the Thunder King.
Speak with Wrathion:
Stage 5: Corruption Detected
- Defend the Celestial Blacksmith while it forges the Lightning Lance.
- Blacksmith Defended
- Wrathion says: What's this - "Anomaly detected." Anomaly?
- Wrathion says: Look at that. This old Titan technology is acting like a magnet for the sha.
- Wrathion says: You're an expert at destroying sha by now. Clean up this mess!
During the fight the Celestial Defender will drop healing lights announced with:
- The Celestial Defender manifests an area of raw power that will heal allies standing in it!
- The Celestial Defender manifests an area of healing energy!
- The light heals players for about 25,000 a tick.
The Celestial Blacksmith will run between anvils will it becomes overcharged, while also being attacked by the sha. If killed the event will need to be reset.
- A Thundering Anvil has become overcharged! Activate it to Discharge its energy.
- A Thundering Anvil has become overcharged! Click it to cause a Thunder Surge!
Clicking the anvil will cause the smaller sha nearby to be destroyed and stunning the larger one. After several rounds of this, when the blacksmith is finally finished:
- Wrathion says: Perhaps if I overcharge the forge, it will destabilize this sha nuisance? Let's try it.
- Wrathion overcharges the forges, causing all the sha to dissipate.
- Wrathion says: There. Problem solved.
Final Stage: Manifested Corruption
- Defeat the Sha Amalgamation assaulting the Thunder Forge.
- Destroy the Sha Amalgamation
- The sha reappear forming into the Sha Amalgamation.
- Wrathion says: Oh - I may have spoken too soon. The sha grows in strength! Destroy it!
- Wrathion says: You aren't harboring any bad thoughts, are you?
- Wrathion says: I've overcharged the anvils. They will be VERY effective against the sha, but each one can only be used once more!
This fight will take some time, as the boss-level Sha Amalgamation has over 31 million health and the following abilities:
- Shadow Burst — The sha amalgamation builds up shadowy energy to unleash on all targets within 10 yards, dealing 151,049 to 166,950 damage and reducing melee, ranged, and spell haste by 50% for 8 sec.
- Shadow Crash — Fires a missile towards an enemy at range. When this missile lands, it deals 134,871 to 151,328 Shadow damage to all enemies within 10 yards of that location and 50,349 to 55,650 Shadow damage to enemies within the area every 2 sec for 20 sec. 1.4 sec cast.
- Dark Binding — The sha amalgamation lets out an intimidating roar, banishing all nearby celestial enemies for 6 sec. Instant. Telegraphed with a boss emote: (5 sec cooldown)
- The Sha Amalgamation banishes the Celestial Defender. Defend yourself!
- Meteor Storm — The sha summons a deadly meteor storm in the area, causing massive damage to any target who is hit. Instant. Channeled. 15 sec channel.
- Summon Leeching Sha — Summons a Leeching Sha. Instant. Summons a Debilitating Sha with the following ability:
- Insanity — The sha releases violent waves of energy, causing 0 damage to all enemies. 3.26 sec cast. Uninterruptible except by using a forge. If the cast completes, starts a channel that ticks every second: (30 sec cooldown)
- Insanity — Instant. Hits for ~100K Shadow
- The Sha Amalgamation begins casting [Insanity]! Discharge one of the anvils to stop it!
The Celestial Defender will again try to tank the amalgamation, but it occasionally gets banished with Dark Binding. The defender retains the green healing beam as well, but that may not be as useful with the area-denial abilities the amalgamation uses. It will either Shadow Burst when the player is within 10 yards, or Shadow Crash the player's position at range. Don't get hit by either. The amalgamation also unleashes a Meteor Storm that targets points on the ground indiscriminately, and also follows the player around. The amalgamation will also randomly summon a Debilitating Sha with 200,000 health that must be killed immediately.
Champions who typically act as healers should focus on dispelling the defender and then worrying about doing damage.
However, the most important move is Insanity. After a few-second wind-up, the amalgamation will channel Insanity for 60 seconds, which ticks for roughly 100,000 Shadow damage every second. This can only be prevented by using one of the seven overpowered anvils. Insanity is on a 30-second cooldown, and the boss will try to cast it as soon as it's off the cooldown. Each anvil can only be used once, so the champion and defender must get the amalgamation down to 20% health before the eighth Insanity cast kills the player.
At around 20% of total health remaining the lance will be ready to be used against the sha:
- Wrathion says: The lance is finished. Quickly, hurl it at the sha!
- The Lightning Lance is charged. Use it to finish off the Sha Amalgamation!
The lance spawns on the ground near Wrathion's position and is bathed in light. Interact with it, then quickly use the bonus action button to finish off the encounter:
- Throw Lance 45 yd range — Throw the Lightning Lance into the Sha Amalgamation, destroying it.
- Wrathion says: There! Our work is complete - we have forged a masterpiece!
- Wrathion says: We are done here, but the weapon is not yet tempered.
Patch 5.0 - Mists of Pandaria
Patch 5.1 - Landfall
Patch 5.2 - The Thunder King
Patch 5.3 - Escalation
Patch 5.4 - Siege of Orgrimmar
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2014-10-20): "Sha Beast's Dark Bite ability should no longer deal an excessive amount of damage."
- Those already on the legendary cloak quest chain were allowed to progress through it until WoD's release.
- Those already on the legendary cloak quest chain were allowed to progress through it until WoD's release.