- This article is about the reptilian kind of raptor. For the most notable kind of avian raptor, see Dragonhawk.
- 1 Azeroth raptors
- 2 Draenor and Outland raptors
- 3 Biology
- 4 Traits
- 5 As a hunter pet
- 6 As a companion pet
- 7 Raptors as mounts
- 8 Notes & trivia
- 9 In the RPG
- 10 Speculation
- 11 Patch changes
- 12 Gallery
- 13 References
- 14 External links
Raptors are large, aggressive theropods (this means, they stand upright on two large hind legs in a bird-like fashion). Raptors are found in Durotar, the Barrens, Wailing Caverns, Wetlands, Arathi Highlands, Un'Goro Crater, Stranglethorn Vale, and Dustwallow Marsh. Raptors seem to be very intelligent for beasts. They wear feathers and beads, and in the Barrens (where the smartest raptors are said to dwell) they have a settlement of mud huts decorated with bone ornaments called Raptor Grounds. Evidently, raptor hatchlings can be so vicious as to eviscerate an entire adult cow in less than ten seconds.
Among the Explorers' League, there are those who believe that birds are descended from dinosaurs such as an extinct type of raptor that had feathered arms. The feathers suggest some kind of missing link between the two different kinds of animals.
Relation with trollkind
Longtime allies of the trolls, these jungle hunters form a special bond with their masters. They become steed, guardian, and friend. Speed, cunning and ferocity are the things trolls and raptors admire about each other. They have spread to nearly all of the lands of Azeroth. It is uncertain whether the trolls led them or followed them. The first tamer of raptors was King Dazar, founder of the Zandalari Empire.
Since the dawn of the trolls they have hunted with raptors and used a variety of raptors as mounts. A troll and his raptor are more than just friendship — it is a bond of blood, as both of them need each other. Usually it takes many years to form this kind of bond. A beast caller with a good sturdy raptor commands a lot of respect. Raptors take naturally to the spirits due to their high intelligence.
The savage ferocity of Kalimdor's raptors has enthralled the Darkspear trolls since their arrival. They consider a raptor to be the truest form of a hunter, and as such, the tamed is their mount of choice. A tamed raptor is truly a fearsome beast, as a skilled troll is able to channel the reptilian steed's savagery to suit the rider's will. A tamed raptor is also one of the most auspicious signs of status amongst the trolls; many have died trying to tame these swift and deadly hunter beasts, and to possess one indicates great station. The Darkspear raptor was originally bred by the Drakkari, but has since been cultivated by the Darkspear tribe in Northrend.
Razzashi raptors are among the cleverest predators in the jungle, making them favored by the Gurubashi trolls. The only known Razzashi Raptors were said to have been in the custody of Bloodlord Mandokir in Zul'Gurub. This species of raptor has not been seen in many years. The purebred royal raptors of Zul'Gurub, these mounts have become a rare sight in Stranglethorn Vale. The Gurubashi have been known to fly into a rage at the sight of any non-troll riding one of their precious beasts.
- Avis (rare)
- Chupacabros (rare)
- Dart (rare)
- Gonk, the raptor loa
- Goreclaw the Ravenous
- Ishamuhale (removed)
- King Reaperclaw
- Nychus (rare)
- Razormaw Matriarch (rare)
- Colin O'Rourke's Pet>
- Saurix (rare)
- Subject Four
- Subject Nine
- Takk the Leaper (rare)
- Tenok (rare)
- Teraptor Matriarch
Packs and species
- Bloodfen - Bloodfen Raptor, Lashtail, Razormaw and Screecher.
- Bloodtalon - Bloodtalon Raptor, Hatchling, Thrasher, Scythemaw, Taillasher and
Corrupted Scythemaw. Some of them have been stolen by Naj'tess and turned into Corrupted Bloodtalons.
- Deviate - Creeper, Guardian, Ravager, Slayer and Stalker.
- Goblin experiment - Experimental Raptor and Nine's Baby Raptors.
- Highland -
Highland Raptor, Fleshstalker, Lashtail, Razormaw, Scytheclaw, Strider and Thrasher.
- Jungle - Stalker and
- Lashtail - Lashtail Raptor and
- Mottled - Mottled Raptor, Screecher and Scytheclaw.
- Razormaw - Elder and
- Spiny - Spiny Raptor.
- Sunscale - Sunscale Raptor, Consort, Lashtail, Ravager, Screecher and Scytheclaw.
- Stranglethorn - Stranglethorn Raptor and
- Teraptor - Teraptor Matriarch, Teraptor Hatchling.
- Terrortooth - Deviate, Runner and Scytheclaw.
- Zul'Drak - Drakkari Gutripper, Drakkari Raptor Mount, Drakkari Scytheclaw, Drakuru Raptor and Gundrak Raptor.
- Zul'Gurub - Gurubashi Raptor and
- Zandalari Invaders - Gurubashi Raptor, Gurubashi Riding Raptor, Loa-Infused Bladetalon, Maturing Raptor, Shaol'mara Raptor, Tamed Bladetalon, Trained Amani Raptor, Zandalari Raptor and Zeb'tula Raptor.
Draenor and Outland raptors
In World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, Outland is inhabited by another type of raptor found in the Netherstorm and Blade's Edge Mountains. Their coloration and body shape is quite different from the raptors of Azeroth, as they feature very bright coloration, glowing eyes, and sharp spikes ridging their spine and tail.
In Warlords of Draenor, set before Draenor's destruction, the uncorrupted raptors resemble Azeroth's.
- Peckers the Majestic (Alt Draenor)
- Rek'tor <Colin O'Rourke's Pet>
- Riplash (Alt Draenor)
- Riptar (Alt Draenor)
- Stonescale (Alt Draenor)
- Vileclaw (Alt Draenor)
- Zikk (Alt Draenor)
Packs and species
- Bladespire - Bladespire Raptor and Ravager.
- Bloodtalon - Bloodtalon Raptor. (Alt Draenor)
- Daggermaw - Blackhide, Lashtail and Felsworn.
- Razorclaw - Vicious Razorclaw and Young Razorclaw. (Alt Draenor)
- Scythetooth - Scythetooth Raptor.
- Wastetalon - Desert, Gorgrond and Jungle. (Alt Draenor)
- Wild raptors come in various colors ranging from pink to turquoise.
- Raptors more closely resemble the fictionalized dinosaur of Jurassic Park fame in both shape and intellect rather than actual Velociraptors, though wild ones are more sleek than mounts.
- Level 20 riding raptors are larger than wild raptors, have a large horn protruding horizontally from their forehead and have small fins growing from the tops of their head and hips.
- Epic riding raptors are slightly larger than level 20 riding raptors and are usually decorated with colorful armor and feathers.
As a hunter pet
- Raptors come in a wide variety of bright colors, making them popular to use. Raptors have the special ability .
- Troll hunters will start with a Raptor as a pet.
As a companion pet
- Main article: Raptor Hatchling
Introduced in patch 3.2, there are 8 new Raptor Mini-Pets. Most of then are fairly hard to obtain. The following list has their name and the location they are obtained in.
- - Looted from Dart's Nest - Dustwallow Marsh
- - Dropped by Deviate Guardian, Deviate Ravager (0.1% Drop Rate) - Wailing Caverns
- - Dropped by Gundrak Raptor (0.1% Drop Rate) - Zul'Drak
- - Looted from Takk's Nest - The Barrens
- - Sold by Breanni (Unlimited Supply - 50) - Dalaran
- - Looted from Ravasaur Matriarch's Nest - Un'Goro Crater
- - Looted from Razormaw Matriarch's Nest - Wetlands
- - Dropped by mobs in Stranglethorn Vale
Raptors as mounts
- Main article: Raptor mounts
Raptor are sold by Zjolnir located in south durotar by Sen'jin Village. Samamba the Sen'jin Quartermaster in Icecrown also sells two unique Raptors. There are also several rare raptors all over Azeroth.
|Mount Name||Availability||Required riding skill||Required Level|
|Little Ivory Raptor||Loot card||Riding (75)||20|
|Emerald Raptor||1||Riding (75)||20|
|Turquoise Raptor||1||Riding (75)||20|
|Violet Raptor||1||Riding (75)||20|
|Swift Blue Raptor||10||Riding (150)||40|
|Swift Olive Raptor||10||Riding (150)||40|
|Swift Orange Raptor||10||Riding (150)||40|
|Black War Raptor||PVP||Riding (150)||40|
|Darkspear Raptor||100||Riding (150)||40|
|Swift Purple Raptor||5 500||Riding (150)||40|
|Swift Razzashi Raptor||Bloodlord Mandokir||Riding (150)||40|
|Venomhide Ravasaur||Mor'vek||Riding (150)||53|
|Ivory Raptor||No Longer Attainable||Riding (150)||40|
|Mottled Red Raptor||No Longer Attainable||Riding (150)||40|
Notes & trivia
In the RPG
Raptors come in many colors, from green-striped red to yellow-striped turquoise. A raptor’s tail extends straight out, held aloft by an intricate structure of bony supports, thus allowing its weight to be carried entirely by the back legs. Raptors weigh about 600 pounds and use a combination of speed, grasping forearms, large teeth, and hind legs with ripping talons. They hunt by running at prey, leaping, and ripping with their rear talons as they claw and bite. A raptor has a relatively large brain for a dinosaur, and its pack hunts with cunning tactics.
- There might be an area or an island around Suramar or the Broken Isles where the Nightborne could have found raptors and other dinosaurs. Such as Su'esh, a Devilsaur. And possibly falcosaurs as well, as they recently showed up on the Broken Isles.
- Ravasaurs might be related to the raptors of the Barrens but are much larger. They are highly intelligent, volatile, and with a sense or code of conduct.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Ability changes.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Bonuses equalized.
- Damage had a +10% bonus and now has +5% bonus.
Armor had no bonus and now has a +5% bonus.
- Damage had a +10% bonus and now has +5% bonus.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Major changes.
- Patch 2.2.0 (2007-09-25): Dash is trainable on all raptors.
- ^ Swift Blue, Swift Purple, Swift Olive and Swift Orange Raptors
- ^ Dazar, The First King#Adventure Guide
- ^ Binding Raptors
- ^ http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/race/troll
- ^ Bennie, Scott; Richard Farrese, Bob Fitch. Horde Player's Guide, 217. ISBN 9781588467720.
- ^ Confined Raptor
- ^ Su'esh
- ^ Patch 7.1 Content Preview