- For the critter and battle pet, see Rat (critter).
Most rats are small in size, but some, such as a few monstrous individuals in the Dalaran Underbelly, can grow to enormous sizes. One example is the so-called ratstallion, who has grown large, agile and shadow resistant from years of chain-chugging potions in Dalaran's sewer system.
Rats are oddly edible. Nipsy (who cooks them) and Monty (who captures them) of the Deeprun Tram operate a business in which they make Deeprun Rat Kabobs. Dig Rats inhabit Bael Modan in the Southern Barrens and can be made into tasty . In the lean times when adrift at sea, the sight of a rat was a welcome one.
Unnoticed but to cats and ratcatchers, when Deathwing descended upon Stormwind all the rats beat a hasty retreat from the city. Only of late have they returned. While many people believe black cats to be bad luck, black rats are held in higher esteem.
The Bluewax kobolds of Highmountain frequently capture rats to either eat as food or keep as pets. The rats are tastier than rabbits, and easier to catch. They make both good diggers and good friends, unless they bite, in which case they instead make a good meal.
Even the rats of Lordaeron fell to the apothecaries' plague, chewing upon the tainted flesh of the dead. Where there is carrion, there will always be rats. The rats in Redridge grow fat from feasting on the bounty of the village larders. The bond between yak and yakrat is a strange one, and what the rat gains out of the symbiotic relationship is a mystery.
Annoying and destructive, frostfur rats can be coaxed with enough cheese to become a tolerable companion. Just like the rough and tumble sailors who live dockside, the wharf rats are feral, violent creatures.
As a mount
- is rewarded from .
- is avalible with a 6-month subscription bundle (from Jan. 16 - Feb. 23, 2020) and for purchase from the shop or the In-Game Store for $25/€25.
As a companion pet
- can be fished up in the Dalaran Underbelly.
- , which summons Whiskers the Rat, is a reward from / .
- can be purchased from Griftah in the Hall of Shadows at a cost of 10,000 .
- Leper Rat can be bought from Micro Zoox in Dun Morogh for 2 Pristine Gizmos.
- can be purchased from Marcus "Bagman" Brown in Westfall at a cost of 2 Old Bottle Caps.
Various types of rats can be found as wild battle pets in a variety of zones.
- Black Rats and Rats in various zones
- Blind Rats in Dalaran Sewers
- Carrion Rats in Mount Hyjal
- Fjord Rats in Howling Fjord
- Ghastly Rats can be captured in Lunarfall or Frostwall whilst having the decoration active.
- Frostfur Rats in Frostfire Ridge
- Redridge Rats in Redridge Mountains
- Stowaway Rats in Deepholm
- Tainted Rats in Felwood
- Undercity Rats in Tirisfal Glades
- Yakrats in Townlong Steppes and Dread Wastes
The following battle pets share the same model as rats, even though they are not rats themselves:
- Grotto Voles in Mount Hyjal
- Highlands Mice in Twilight Highlands
- Long-tailed Moles and Mice in various zones
- Prairie Mice in Kun-Lai Summit
Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans
In the RPG
These omnivorous rodents thrive almost anywhere. Rats usually run away. They bite only as a last resort. They are stealthy and good at balancing and swimming.
- ^ Stowaway Rat
- ^ Stormwind Rat
- ^ Black Rat
- ^ Kipp Brightwick
- ^ Bluewax Ratcatcher
- ^ Undercity Rat
- ^ Carrion Rat
- ^ Redridge Rat
- ^ Yakrat
- ^ Frostfur Rat
- ^ Wharf Rat
- ^ Rat
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Monster Guide Web Supplement, 16. ISBN 1300002129.
- ^ Arthaus. Shadows & Light, 145. ISBN 9781588469731.