||The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 5.0.4.
- This includes items and quests that can no longer be obtained or are now deprecated.
- The in-game information in this article is kept purely for historical purposes.
- Reactive Barrier (2 ranks)
- Frost, Tier 5
- Gives the caster a 50/100% chance for the Ice Barrier spell to automatically cast with no mana cost upon taking damage that lowers the caster's life below 50%. This effect obeys Ice Barrier's cooldown, and will trigger the cooldown when activated.
Reactive Barrier is a Mage talent in the Frost tree. It causes [Ice Barrier] to be cast automatically upon taking damage that lowers the mage's life below 50%.
- This is considered a highly optional talent, largely because it has a number of pros and cons. While the talent potentially provides quick, free and helpful assistance, it removes direct control over Ice Barrier, potentially wasting its cooldown and leaving the mage vulnerable. When compared to the direct benefits of other available talents, many mages choose to spend their points elsewhere.
- Procs from this talent will automatically cast Ice Barrier even when the mage is CCed. It can therefore save the mage in situations where he may otherwise be powerless to respond.
- It does NOT trigger the GCD, thereby saving time in the heat of battle.
- Because it is automatic, the mage can focus on other spells.
- When procced in this way, Ice Barrier costs no mana.
- When procced in this way, Ice Barrier can be cast while mounted without dismounting the mage.
- By casting automatically, it prevents the mage from deciding when to use Ice Barrier.
- Although it does not trigger the GCD, it does trigger Ice Barrier's cooldown. By triggering at times that may not be ideal or particularly useful, Ice Barrier may not be available when the mage needs it most.
- Reactive Barrier procs upon taking damage that lowers the mage's health below 50%; only attacks that cause the mage's health to cross this line will trigger Ice Barrier. Once below 50% health, no attacks will cause it to proc.
- Perhaps the main reason not to talent Reactive Barrier is the variety of other useful talents to spend the 2 talents points in.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Removed.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Is now triggered by any damage which causes the mage's health to be below 50%, even if the mage was already below 50%.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Added.