- For the sword, see . For the ability formerly known only as Reckoning, see . For the old talent, see .
Reckoning is a cinematic that serves as the finale to the War Campaign in Battle for Azeroth, focusing on the final confrontation between the united rebellion and Warchief Sylvanas Windrunner. It was released with patch 8.2.5 on September 24th, 2019.
- The faction war reaches its inevitable climax at the gates of Orgrimmar as Alliance soldiers stand together with Saurfang's rebels against the Banshee Queen.
- Backed by the combined armies of the Alliance and Horde, Varok Saurfang, Anduin Wrynn, and Thrall approach the Gates of Orgrimmar.
- Thrall: Varok... It's time.
- Saurfang takes notice of Sylvanas's own army gathered atop the gates.
- Varok Saurfang: Those who defend Orgrimmar are Horde as well. Our brothers and sisters.
- Thrall: These warriors have sworn to fight. For you. Many lives will be lost.
- Varok Saurfang: Or perhaps... just one.
- Saurfang steps towards the gates by himself and calls out.
- Varok Saurfang: Sylvanas Windrunner! I challenge... Mak'gora!
- The gates open, and Sylvanas and a single Forsaken banner-carrier step forward to meet Saurfang. Sylvanas looks upon those gathered before her.
- Sylvanas Windrunner: A traitor leading traitors. Why should I accept your challenge?
- Varok Saurfang: You want to make me suffer.
- Sylvanas gives a slight smirk, then gestures for her banner-carrier to hand over two blades. As she turns around to accept them, Saurfang turns to face Thrall, who hands him his axe.
- Thrall: Brother... you cannot win.
- Varok Saurfang: My old friend. You... and I...
- Saurfang places his hand on Thrall's shoulder, who responds soon after.
- Thrall: We don't get to hide.
- Saurfang nods, then turns to face Anduin.
- Anduin Wrynn: I set you on this path.
- Varok Saurfang: And we knew where it could lead. Walk with me the rest of the way.
- Anduin unsheathes Shalamayne from his side, offering it to Saurfang for his duel. Saurfang accepts it with another faint nod. He turns and advances towards Sylvanas with Anduin following slightly behind him. Suddenly, Zekhan rushes out from the crowd and attempts to approach Saurfang, but Thrall holds him back. Saurfang and Sylvanas face each other with their weapons in hand.
- Varok Saurfang: Let it be finished.
- Saurfang charges Sylvanas in an attempt to land the first blow, but she parries him and lands a number of hits on him, which leave shadowy wounds over his body. Saurfang falls to his knees as Sylvanas looms over him and taunts the orc.
- Sylvanas Windrunner: The High Overlord falls. I trusted you.
- Thrall and Zekhan look upon Saurfang from afar.
- Sylvanas Windrunner: And so did they. Death comes old soldier. And all their hope dies with you.
- Saurfang and Zekhan exchange looks for a moment, the former seemingly determined once more.
- Varok Saurfang: You cannot kill hope.
- Saurfang gets up, then begins attacking Sylvanas once again, each consecutive blow parried.
- Varok Saurfang: You tried at Teldrassil. You failed. Hope remains. You set us to kill each other at Lordaeron. You failed. Here we stand. You just keep failing. The Horde will endure. The Horde is strong.
- After Sylvanas knocks him back, Saurfang splits Shalamayne into Shalla'tor and Ellemayne, swinging both back around at her. The first is parried, but the second successfully slices her right eye, leaving behind a small wound across it. An upset Sylvanas visibly recoils from the attack.
- Sylvanas Windrunner: The Horde... is nothing!
- The Forsaken banner-bearer at Sylvanas's side gives her an aggrieved, accusatory expression. Realizing she unintentionally betrayed her true thoughts, Sylvanas seemingly drops her facade and yells towards everyone in her presence.
- Sylvanas Windrunner: You are all nothing!
- Saurfang stands triumphant for a moment, then charges Sylvanas.
- Varok Saurfang: For Azeroth!
- Sylvanas suddenly unleashes a bolt of dark magic at Saurfang, instantly killing him. As his lifeless, steaming corpse falls to the ground, she gloats.
- Sylvanas Windrunner: If you could see yourselves as I see you. Toy soldiers in tin plate. Beasts who howl for honor. Standing as one. Savor it... Nothing lasts.
- Sylvanas raises her hands, with wisps of shadowy smoke enveloping her, as she lifts off and flies away. Zekhan and Thrall rush to the side of Saurfang's body, the former reaching out to touch his necklace.
- Zekhan: What... do we do now?
- Thrall: We bring him home.
- Anduin, Thrall, and Zekhan lift up Saurfang's body. The Forsaken banner-carrier stares at them for a moment, then stamps her banner into the ground twice, and the Gates of Orgrimmar open to them. As the three carry Saurfang's body into Orgrimmar, the rest of the Forsaken atop the walls stamp their banners in an identical fashion, pledging their loyalty to the Horde over Sylvanas.
- Directed by Marc Messenger
- Written by Christie Golden
- Music by Neal Acree
- Editor(s): Joanna Griebel
- Similarly to Zekhan, the Forsaken banner-bearer who allowed the rebellion entrance into Orgrimmar has become popular among fans, generating many nicknames, notably "Tink Tink", referring to the sound of her banner against the ground, which was also tweeted by Blizzard. When further asked what her name was, Blizzard responded: "Bannerbae, First of Her Name, Bearer of Flags, Gatekeeper of Orgrimmar. Nickname: Flaggygirl."