Over the years, a variety of mounts have been removed from the game. While they are no longer obtainable, players who had them got to keep them.
Original epic mounts
These used the old epic mount graphics and as of Patch 1.4 are no longer obtainable. They can be exchanged for the newer variety if desired, but the players who own them prefer to keep their old mounts due to the fact of their uniqueness and non-availability. Having any of these mounts awards the Feat of Strength .
Removed achievement mounts
These mounts used to be rewarded from achievements:
- Achieving awarded the Crusader's White Warhorse to the Alliance, and Crusader's Black Warhorse to the Horde.
- Removed in Patch 4.0.3a
- Completing rewarded Reins of the Plagued Proto-Drake while rewarded Reins of the Black Proto-Drake.
Removed mounts found as loot
These mounts used to be found as loot:
- The Amani War Bear was a reward from Ashli's Bag for completing the timed event in Zul'Aman.
- Removed in Patch 3.0.2.
- A Swift Alliance Steed (Alliance) or Swift Horde Wolf (Horde) dropped from the Argent Crusade Tribute Chest in the Trial of the Grand Crusader if the conditions were met for .
- Removed in Patch 4.0.1.
- The Swift Razzashi Raptor used to drop from Bloodlord Mandokir in the original, 20-player raid of Zul'Gurub.
- The Swift Zulian Tiger used to drop from High Priest Thekal in the original, 20-player raid of Zul'Gurub.
- Removed in Patch 4.0.1, added to Black Market Auction House in Patch 6.0.2.
Other removed mounts
- The was a reward from the BlizzCon 2008 welcome package (or from getting the DirectTV subscription in the USA).
- There was also a War of the Shifting Sands if you had completed (available only if you were the first one to open the gates of Ahn'Qiraj or within the next 10 hours of the gate being opened), it was removed in 3.2.0 when the gates became permanently open for all realms. To date, it is the only legendary mount added to the game to have been available to players. , which could only be obtained during the
- During Brewfest 2007, an could be purchased from Belbi Quikswitch in Dun Morogh or Blix Fixwidget in Durotar for 600 , which allowed players to buy a .
These are mounts that have never been obtainable in the first place, only Game Masters can access/give them.
- The Fluorescent Green Mechanostrider was issued by a GM to a player on the EU servers by mistake, when the player had accidentally deleted his mount.