|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 4.0.1.
Combat, Tier 3
Requires melee weapon
Riposte is a 10-Energy attack based on weapon damage. To use this ability, you must have recently parried an attack. This ability can be used on an enemy that wasn't even parried by you.
- Requires you to have recently parried an enemy's attack, which means that the enemy must be hitting you.
Tips and Tactics
- Riposte is most useful against warriors, hunters, paladins, and other rogues; slowing their weapons takes most of their bite away.
- You cannot create macros that automatically check for buffs or debuffs on a target and change abilities accordingly, but you can create a macro that will randomly choose between your main attack and Riposte, like so:
/startattack /castrandom Sinister Strike, Riposte
- Useful in solo leveling, since it's pretty cheap (10 Energy) and lets you take advantage of the +6% parry chances.
- The Floating Combat Text inteface options can be set to display a message when Riposte becomes usable.
- Patch 3.0.3 (2008-11-04): Duration of this effect no longer reduced by other effects that reduce disarm duration.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Now slows the target's melee attacks by 20% instead of disarming them, awards one combo point.
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): Is now subject to diminishing returns in PvP.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): Fixed a data error that caused Riposte to generate more threat than intended.
- Patch 1.8.0 (2005-10-10): Now properly sets its cooldown.
- Patch 1.7.0 (2005-09-22):
- Will now initiate combat when used.
- Fixed a bug where the ability was not usable when a special attack (e.g. Gouge) is parried.
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12): Targets immune to disarm effects will now take damage from Riposte.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07): Fixed a bug where the ability was not usable against a disarmed or unarmed target.
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05):
- Riposte now properly increases the attack power contribution by the percent modifier.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the ability from being used when the target had no weapon or was already disarmed.
- Patch 0.9.1 (2004-08-24): There was a bug with rogue ability Riposte. The UI might still be incorrect.