- For the ship in Stranglethorn Vale, see The Riptide. For the subzone in Throne of the Tides, see Riptide (subzone). For the makrura tribe, see Riptide (group).
Similar to a druid's spell, Riptide is both a direct healing spell and a heal over time spell. The direct heal and each tick of the heal over time effect have independent critical effect chances, with an initial critical heal having no effect on the healing over time component.
Tips and tactics
- Its low mana cost and high amount of healing done over time make Riptide one of the Restoration shaman's best healing spells. Its main disadvantage is the six second cooldown.
- returns mana every time the spell crits, further increasing mana efficiency.
- causes Riptide to decrease the casting time of your next or increase the critical chance of your next .
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2017-06-13): "Riptide heals for an additional 30% in PvP situations."
- Hotfix (2016-07-22): "Casting Riptide directly after a Chain Heal will now award two stacks of Tidal Waves."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Direct healing increased by 81%, heal over time increased by 66%.
- Patch 6.2.0 (2015-06-23): No longer increases 's effectiveness by 25% on the primary target.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Riptide's healing has been adjusted to put significantly more of it into the initial heal. The initial heal amount has been increased by 70%, while the periodic healing amount has been reduced by 20%.
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Mana cost has been reduced by 25%.
- Patch 4.3.0 (2011-11-29): Periodic healing coefficient has been increased by 50%. The initial direct heal is unchanged.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): This spell has a new icon and a new sound effect.
- Patch 3.0.3 (2008-11-04): Healing done increased. Now triggers Tidal Waves.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.