The rocs of the latter category differ vastly from those in the old world. Whereas the rocs of Kalimdor and Northrend mostly resemble eagles or carrion birds, the Broken Isle rocs are enormous, dread raven-like birds, created when harpies use their foul magics to corrupt the noble giant eagles of the Skyhorn tribe.
- Carrion birds
- are found in sFeralas.
- Fire Rocs and Searing Rocs are found in Tanaris. They are capable of throwing fireballs and appear with fire around them. According to , the fire rocs are extremely valuable due to their unique anatomy, and alchemists will pay expensively for their body parts (even though Driz may occasionally claim the rocs' innards to be dragon parts).
- Birds of prey
- Broken Isles
As a hunter pet
Note that the giant rocs of the Broken Isles are not tamable.
- Windrocs are kaliri-like birds native to Nagrand, but it's unknown if they are a subspecies of roc or their own species, since rocs generally use a different model.
- Feralfen Druids can assume a roc form.
- Elerethe Renferal transforms into a "Nightmare roc" form during her encounter in the Emerald Nightmare raid.
- The roc or rukh is a gargantuan legendary bird in Middle Eastern and Indian mythology, said to be able to carry off and eat entire elephants. The roc is also the inspiration for the name of the arakkoan sun goddess .
- Rocs in the Broken Isles use the same animations as dread ravens and skyscreamers.