Tips and tricks
- When tanking a group of mobs, make sure to switch target frequently so that not all of your Rune Strikes hit the same target. Switching to a new target after landing a Rune Strike will help you build more threat on all of the mobs. Most of the time your Death and Decay will take care of a lot of threat, backed up by or maybe , but sometimes DPS still need more threat than your runes can cover.
- Rune Strike causes more threat (and outright damage) per point of runic power than , so there is no place for Death Coil in a DK tank rotations, except possibly for a ranged pull.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Re-added with new effects.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Removed.
- Hotfix (2013-03-12): "Rune Strike now deals 25% more damage."
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now a Blood specialization ability. Weapon damage reduced from 180% to 175% and no longer scales with attack power. No longer requires the death knight to have parried or dodged, and no longer causes a high amount of threat.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Rune Strike will not require a dodge or parry to activate as long as the Death Knight is in Blood Presence.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Rune Strike is no longer an "on next swing" ability; the entire next swing mechanic was removed. Instead, it is an instant strike with a global cooldown.
- Patch 3.3.0 (2009-12-08): Threat generated by this ability increased by approximately 17%.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): Damage decreased from 200% to 150% but threat increased to 150% from 100%.