Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Previously, Rupture was a static damage finishing move that offered the same DPS no matter how many combo points were saved up—additional combo points only extended the duration of rupture. The prevalent strategy was to gauge how many seconds left your target had to live, and to only use enough combo points to match it. However, Rupture was overhauled to improve its scaling and make it a more attractive ability for end-game use. This change was later reverted, making the DPS the same regardless of the number of combo points used.
Tips and tactics
- Save this for longer fights, or fights against highly-armored opponents. Don't waste combo points extending the duration for longer than the fight is likely to last.
- Be careful of using any DoT-type attacks, as it commits you to the fight in that many crowd control abilities will be broken by the damage it causes.
- The ability will not add damage to Rupture (or any other DoT).
- Works well against other rogues who may use to escape, since any damage removes stealth.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2017-02-03): "Damage increased by 4%."
- Patch 7.1.5 (2017-01-10): The damage of the spell no longer scales up based on combo points spent. Now, combo points spent scale up its duration.
- Hotfix (2016-08-22): "Rupture damage has been decreased to 25% Attack Power (was 30%)."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): No longer available to Subtlety rogues. Damage increased by 327%. No longer deals additional Nature damage or grants Energy to poisoned targets, nor causes the rogue to gain additional Energy if a target dies with Rupture active.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14):
- Patch 3.3.3 (2010-03-23): The damage-over-time component of this ability can now produce critical strikes.
- Patch 2.4.0 (2008-03-25): Skeletal and non-corporeal undead (such as wraiths), elementals and mechanical creatures are now susceptible to bleed effects.
- Patch 1.12.0 (2006-08-22): Rupture now increases in potency with greater attack power.