A Seaforium charge is an explosive created and used by an Engineer that will open locked doors, chests, and lockboxes depending on the level of Lockpicking skill required to open the lock. Only Engineers can use a Seaforium charge.
Seaforium charges gained the ability to open chests and lockboxes in patch 2.1.0.
In general, a rogue's skill is more convenient, because seaforium charges are used up when a lock is opened.
However, an Engineer with some seaforium can be useful when there are no rogues around who can open the lock.
Seaforium is a favorite of sappers everywhere. Dwarves developed this explosive as a safer alternative to the catastrophically dangerous fuels used by goblin sappers during the Third War. The material is putty-like in appearance and can be shaped or molded by anyone without risk of detonation. Seaforium only explodes if an external source (a detonator) provides a significant electrical surge. The detonator is typically attached to a length of copper wire so the operator can stand some distance away, preferably around a corner or behind some other sort of cover. The detonator can also be set to activate automatically, without the wire, after a preset delay period. Seaforium charges come in three basic sizes, small, medium, and powerful.
This is a T-shaped plunger in a red box with lightning bolts on the side. Copper wires connect to the box to a seaforium charge. It is used to detonate a seaforium charge from a distance.
Types of charges
- (Engineering skill 100)
- Opens items with a lockpicking skill of 150:
- (Engineering skill 200)
- Opens items with a lockpicking skill of 250:
- (Engineering skill 275)
- Opens items with a lockpicking skill of 300:
- (Engineering skill 350)
- Opens items with a lockpicking skill of 350:
- (Engineering skill 425)
- Opens items with a lockpicking skill of 400:
- (Engineering skill 525)
- Opens items with a lockpicking skill of 450:
- The name "Seaforium" is a reference to C-4, a real-life plastic-explosive.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): Seaforium now opens locked chests as well as locked doors. The Consortium Vendor Karaaz now sells the engineering recipe for an if you are revered with them.
- Patch 5.1.0 (2012-11-27): now opens items that require lockpicking skill of 400 and below, down from 525.