Seal of Truth
|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 7.0.3.
|Seal of Truth|
Seal of Truth is a Retribution Paladin Seal. Nicknamed "Seal of DoT", it causes single-target attacks to apply a stacking damage over time debuff, which also increases damage from the paladin's attacks.
While active, the Paladin's single-target attacks apply the Censure debuff. The debuff stacks up to 5 times, and is refreshed by each eligible attack.
NotesThis section is flagged for a fact check!
Contrary to the tooltip, Censure's additional weapon damage is caused by each stack of Censure, not only once 5 stacks have been placed. Although described as a percentage of weapon damage, this damage is also highly variable.
The application of an additional stack of Censure (or the refreshing of the Censure stack) on the target is resolved as its own melee attack, separate from the normal melee swing that caused it. Even if the normal melee swing connects, Censure can still miss, be dodged, be parried, or be blocked.
Seal of Truth is considered the primary seal for tankadins. This is because the DoT causes a constant threat-generation which keeps mobs stuck to the tank, preventing them from attacking more fragile players in the group/raid. This is an important feature in situations where various effects may temporarily put the tank out of action (such as a stun), create distance between the mobs and the tank, or even wipe all aggro. The DoT will keep on ticking whatever happens, generating threat without the tank having to do anything (until the debuff expires).
Despite its DoT component, as it takes only a few seconds to place 5 stacks of Censure on a target, Seal of Truth's usefulness is not limited to lengthy encounters.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Removed.
- Patch 6.2.3 (2015-11-17): Damage has been increased by 8%.
- Patch 6.1.0 (2015-02-24): No longer available to Protection paladins. is now replaced by instead of Seal of Truth.
- Hotfix (2015-01-15): "Reduced the damage of Seal of Truth for Protection Paladins by 80%. Protection Paladins should primarily use Seal of Insight for defensive value."
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): No longer available to Holy paladins.
- Hotfix (2012-10-01): "Seal of Truth and Censure now deal 80% less damage for Protection Paladins only."
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Redesigned. Fills you with Holy Light, causing melee attacks to deal 12% additional Holy damage and apply Censure to the target. Replaces Seal of Command.
- Hotfix (2011-12-20): "Horde Paladins should find that Judgement of Truth now properly triggers item procs that it is intended to trigger."
- Patch 4.3.0 (2011-11-29): When Judged, now benefits from a multiplier of 20% per stack of Censure, up from 10%.
- Hotfix (2011-09-09): "The damage dealt by Censure from Seal of Truth has been increased by 40%."
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Fixed a tooltip error that stated swings at targets with Censure fully stacked dealt 9% weapon damage. They actually dealt 15% damage and the tooltip has been updated accordingly.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): All single target attacks (including , , , and ) can now trigger this seal.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Periodic damage from Censure reduced by 25%.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Added. Replaces / .