- Not to be confused with Lore (CM).
Sean Copeland, nickname Loreology, is a senior historian and member of the Blizzard Creative Development team. Sean was promoted to a senior historian around March 11, 2014. He was later promoted to lead historian in March 2016, eventually becoming Head of lore in September 2017.
Within the company, historians are "a repository for all Blizzard lore, providing counsel for the game development teams and the Creative Development Story group." As a historian, Copeland handles lore reviews for publications and artwork, researches and documents game events and characters, maintains their lore bibles, conducts lore seminars for employees and takes part in a wide range of meetings from brainstorming sessions to process development. Historians keep track of what Blizzard decides is canon, they do not make the calls.
Sean closed his Twitter in late December 2014 after a period of inactivity. His wife, April, stated that this was due to ongoing health concerns which, coupled with his work, had left him no time to maintain it. She later clarified that it was she herself who was in bad health, not Sean. Some time later, another twitter account @Loreology was created but it's not Sean Copeland.
In December of 2017, Copeland created a new Twitter account called @Llorewalker, but was not active until February 20th, 2018 when he made his first tweet, stating he's back as the team had been asked to be active on Twitter.
- The NPCs Sean Copeland, Historian Llore, and Seanus Copeland are named after Sean "Loreology" Copeland. Copeland uses an illustration of Llore as his avatar on Twitter.
- The item is also named for him.
- ^ a crow on Twitter (2017-09-08). Retrieved on 2018-05-24. “it's always a pleasure to see your friends succeed. Congrats to Sean Copeland (formerly @ Loreology) on becoming Blizzard's Head of Lore. :)”
- ^ Christie Golden on Twitter (2016-08-22). Retrieved on 2018-05-24. “@voidprohibited Sean Copeland's job is to keep track of what Blizzard decides is canon. He doesn't make the calls. He's also my friend.”
- ^ April Copeland on Twitter (2018-02-21). Retrieved on 2018-05-24. “He's here to answer questions. Feel free to ask he just won't have the same time he had before. And just to clear up, he wasn't in bad health its me and we're trying a new treatment. Sean is well!”
- ^ Sean Copeland on Twitter (2018-02-20). Retrieved on 2018-05-24. “I'm back, lore friends! You amazing folks still doing OK? :)”
- ^ Sean Copeland on Twitter (2018-02-21). Retrieved on 2018-05-04. “Thank you, everyone! Our team has been asked to spend a little time here to share our knowledge and passion for our franchises with you. This is an honor, but please know we’re just three people with FT+ workloads. We’ll try to keep this little window open as best we can. :)”