|This article or section needs to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality.|
|Level: 40 - 60|
Battle Pet Level: 13 - 14
Southern Khaz Modan
Contested territory (PvP realms only)
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Notable characters
- 4 Quests
- 5 Cataclysm
- 6 Resources
- 7 Wild creatures
- 8 Before Cataclysm
- 9 Notes & trivia
- 10 Gallery
- 11 Patch changes
- 12 See also
- 13 References
- 14 External links
Just as Blackrock orcs and their allies dominate Burning Steppes, so Dark Iron dwarves dominate the Searing Gorge. A large population of Dark Iron dwarves, War Golems, and Elementals resides in this dark, mountainous area.
The climate is very similar to Burning Steppes, as it was the same catastrophe that blackened both: the summoning of . The Searing Gorge is a part of Khaz Modan. Before being shattered by the summoning it was a mountainous region, part of the Redridge Mountains.
Large mining operations take place in The Cauldron, a giant excavation site forming a huge rift in the middle of the Searing Gorge. The Slag Pit lies within The Cauldron and is an underground mining site rich with multiple types of ore. The mining work is mainly done by slave labor, which consists for the most part of captured enemies.
Ever since the Dark Iron dwarves' capital, Thaurissan, was destroyed by the summoning of Ragnaros, they have searched for a landmass to control for their filthy, industrious works. The Searing Gorge was the obvious choice due to a low military presence, scarce population, few settlements, and high vulnerability. The dwarven garrisons were soon overrun by a massive Dark Iron invasion which forced them to retreat to Loch Modan and seal the passage.
For many years the area was sealed, and adventurers could only enter by traversing through Blackrock Mountain or by obtaining the , following a series of quests. More recently, the Horde garrisons stationed at Kargath, in the Badlands, having grown curious about the use of the area for tactical purposes, have cut a narrow pass through the mountains south of their encampment, and with the events of the Cataclysm, the gates from Loch Modan have been re-opened.
Maps and subregions
|Blackchar Cave • Blackrock Mountain • The Cauldron • Dustfire Valley|
|Grimesilt Dig Site • Firewatch Ridge • Pyrox Flats • The Sea of Cinders • The Slag Pit|
|Stonewrought Pass • Tanner Camp • Thorium Point • Thorium Advance • Iron Summit|
Dungeons and raids
There are none actually located in the Searing Gorge. However, Blackrock Mountain lies between it and the Burning Steppes. It is home to Blackrock Depths (Level 52-60 Instance), Blackrock Spire (Level 54-60 Instance), Molten Core (Level 60 Raid Instance), Blackwing Lair (Level 60 Raid Instance), Blackrock Caverns (Level 80-83 Dungeon), and Blackwing Descent (Level 85 Raid Instance).
- Stormwind, Elwynn Forest
- Ironforge, Dun Morogh
- Thelsamar, Loch Modan
- New Kargath, Badlands
- Iron Summit, Searing Gorge
- Morgan's Vigil, Burning Steppes
- Flame Crest, Burning Steppes
Flight paths from Iron Summit
|Zone Name||Faction||Level Range||Direction||Access subzone||Access method|
|Loch Modan||10-20||Northeast||Stonewrought Pass||By foot through the Stonewrought Pass|
|The Badlands||44-48||West||By footor by Horde flightpath from Thorium Point to Kargath|
|Blackrock Mountain||52-60||South||Blackrock Mountain||By foot|
|Burning Steppes||49-52||South||Blackrock Mountain||By foot through Blackrock Mountain or by flightpath from Thorium Point to Morgan's Vigil or Flame Crest|
- Main article: Searing Gorge NPCs
Searing Gorge is home to several characters of note. At Thorium Point, seeks aid in the battle against the golems, spiders, and incendosaurs of the region. attempts to create fiery flux with the help of trustworthy individuals. And from his guarded spot nearby, Kalaran Windblade sends bold adventurers into the holdings of the Dark Irons in an attempt to burn down all of their sentry towers.
- Main article: Searing Gorge storyline
CataclysmThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
- The Thorium Brotherhood has built a settlement in this area called Thorium Point.
- Badlands border - a new camp has been established by the Thorium Brotherhood called Thorium Advance
- Blackrock Mountain – northeast of Blackrock is a new neutral encampment, Iron Summit, headed by a dwarf whose allegiances are questionable, to say the least; the camp of is now populated by Dark Iron dwarves
- Dustfire Valley - the camp formerly run by Dark Iron dwarves has been abandoned
- 's camp, near Thorium Point, is now home to the Dark Irons
- Tanner Camp - now empty
- The Slag Pit - the lowest reaches are now inhabited by Searing Flamewraiths led by a level 50 elite flamewaker,
- Magma Elementals are new mobs added to the area; Incendosaurs now live above ground, in and around the new camp of Iron Summit (see above)
- Other – the area between Searing Gorge and Dun Morogh is now a deep chasm; the wandering Shadowsilk Poachers of the Undermarket don't appear to roam through the gorge any longer
Prior to the Cataclysm, the Alliance entrance to the Searing Gorge in Loch Modan was locked. Players had to obtain the via a quest line culminating in , although rogues with lockpicking of 225 could simply pick the doors, and players (especially Horde) could always enter through the Badlands. With the Cataclysm, the key and the quest to obtain it have been removed, and the entrance is now unlocked.
The zone was also changed from a level 43 - 52 zone to one suited to level 47 - 51 characters.
Notes & trivia
- Players taking the flight to Ironforge from Stormwind can observe many subzones of this area.
- If you were to die in one of the Blackrock Mountain Instances, it would take you to the Thorium Point Graveyard. It is convenient as it is not far from the Flight Point.
- Patch 7.3.5 (2018-01-16): Level scaling implemented, previous zone level: 47 - 51.
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12): Fire Elementals in Searing Gorge should be easier to find.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07): Searing Gorge has a new quest hub for both Alliance and Horde players called Thorium Point.
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05): Closed a hole in the world in the Searing Gorge.
- Patch 0.8 (2004-07-07): Opened and itemized.