||The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 7.0.3.
- This includes items and quests that can no longer be obtained or are now deprecated.
- The in-game information in this article is kept purely for historical purposes.
- Searing Totem
- Level 16 shaman ability
- 3% of base mana
- Instant cast
- Summons a Fire Totem with 5 health at the feet of the caster for 60 sec that repeatedly attacks an enemy within 0 to 25 yards for (20% of spell power) Fire damage.
- "The wood whispered to me as I conjured it. It said that it did not fear flame." —Grennan Stormspeaker
The Searing Totem is a shaman ability, available at level 16.
- When dropped, the Searing Totem will randomly select an enemy within 25 yards of it and continuously attack that target until A.) the Searing Totem expires, B.) the target leaves its 20-yard radius, or C.) the target dies. If B or C occur, the totem will randomly choose another target in range and begin attacking it. If there are no targets within range, it will do nothing until an enemy comes in range. Also note that the totem will only engage hostile targets on its own; it will ignore neutral targets, unless you engage them first.
Tips and tactics
- Reliable source of extra damage, and is useful in situations where the other damage totem ( [Magma Totem]) isn't and/or when the [Fire Elemental Totem] is unfeasible.
- It is useful primarily in single-target, prolonged fights (e.g. boss fights). You should avoid using it in situations where it could accidentally hit a target that shouldn't otherwise be hit (such as something that has been CC'd).
- Very useful in PvP for an extra bit of consistent damage. Most players will ignore the totem, knowing it will go away when you die and not wanting to take the time to target it.
- Always useful in a boss fight, assuming the boss doesn't have adds which get CC'd.
- Most of the time, if you drop the totem while you are in melee, it will start out attacking the target you have selected. This may be a function of closeness, or may be a function of who you have selected at the time. It is suspected that it simply picks the closest target when it doesn't have one.
- The totem of has only 5 hp, making it trivial to destroy.
- Dangerous to use when it can break a CC effect, or when it may pull an as-yet-unpulled group of creatures.
Although this is an "Incendiary Totem" in the TCG
, the artwork is used to represent a Searing Totem in Hearthstone
- Searing Totem is one of the four totems that have a chance to be summoned by a Shaman's "Totemic Call" Hero Power in Hearthstone.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Removed.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Searing Bolt now has a 2-second cast time (up from 1.5 seconds), but casts faster with Haste, and its damage has been increased by 120%.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): No longer prefer to target enemies that are afflicted by Flame Shock or Stormstrike effects.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): Searing Totem (Rank 4) now does the proper damage for its rank.
- Patch 1.3.0 (2005-03-07): Damage slightly increased.
- Patch 0.7 (2004-06-15): Damage increased.