Seed of Corruption
|Seed of Corruption|
Seed of Corruption is a binary spell, so it will either be completely resisted (no explosion) or land for full damage.
Previously, any damage (including that from other party members) could detonate SoC. Since Patch 5.0.4, it can now only be triggered by damage done by the warlock, though if they have all three dots on the target, a couple of ticks is usually sufficient for detonation. Pet damage does not contribute. Furthermore, detonation also counts as damage that triggers other SoCs, leading to a cascade of explosions that contributes to massive burst AoE.
Tips and tactics
In instances, Seed of Corruption is most effective on large groups of mobs with relatively high health. Detonation will occur more quickly on a mob with full DoTs. If they won't live long enough for a few SoC to detonate, multi-dotting is a better choice.
While soloing, it is difficult to use SoC because of the amount of time required to set up a large cascade, especially when taking spell pushback. If the group of mobs is large enough to warrant the use of SoC, it is probably too large for a single warlock to handle.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.2.5 (2017-06-13): Seed of Corruption damage reduced by 20%.
- Patch 7.1.5 (2017-01-10):
- Damage is now 215% (was 138%).
- Now costs 1 Soul Shard (was 4.5% mana).
- Hotfix (2016-09-28): "Seed of Corruption will now properly detonate and spread if the target dies while still affected."
- Hotfix (2016-09-23): "Seed of Corruption damage increased by 15%."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): No longer deals damage over time. Detonation now deals 75.8% more damage and applies to all affected targets. Now requires 217.5% more damage to be detonated.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14):
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Explosion radius has been reduced to 10 yards, down from 15.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Seed of Corruption will now stack with , as well as . Damage required to set off the explosion will now only be counted by the casting Warlock.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Damage has been increased by 20%.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Damage has been increased to be more comparable to other area-of-effect abilities.
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): Seed of Corruption detonation will now obey line of sight.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): This spell will now interact properly with town guards when bystanders are hit by its detonation in a duel.
- Patch 2.0.1 (2006-12-05): Added.