As , first emperor of the mogu, began to unify his people under a single banner and subjugate the other races of Pandaria, he knew that the mantid would never bow to his authority. He commanded his slaves to construct the Serpent's Spine, a magnificent wall that spanned the length of the empire. It took many generations to build but Lei Shen knew that fear would motivate his subjects. The fear of the mantid moved mountains, raised armies, secured his empire, and built his wall.
Recently, the mantid and the yaungol have laid siege to the wall, in an effort to break through to launch an assault on the lands east of the wall. The mantid have managed to damage the wall at the border with the Valley of the Four Winds and started to unleash their deadly assault upon the land, mainly at Stoneplow. The yaungol have made it past the Ox Gate and have started to settle in Kun-Lai Summit.
There are few notable settlements upon the wall:
- The Lion's Redoubt, a tower held by the Alliance.
- Serpent's Spine Horde Tower, a tower held by the Horde.
- The Gate of the Setting Sun, key gate of the wall, which has also come under attack by mantid trying to move into the Vale of Eternal Blossoms.
- Shado-Pan Fallback, held by the Shado-Pan, focused on cleansing Firebough Nook which has been attacked by sha-infested yaungol.
- The Ox Gate, the northernmost gate and path between Kun-Lai Summit and the Townlong Steppes.
The Serpent's Spine as seen in The Burdens of Shaohao
Serpent's Spine running along the western edge of the Valley of the Four Winds
- Serpent's Spine is a reference to the Great Wall of China.
- Serpent's Spine is also a name of one of Everquest's expansions, EverQuest: The Serpent's Spine.
A view of the Dread Wastes from the Serpent's Spine