As part of the Unified Community Platform project, your wiki will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Read more here.
Server:Altar of Storms US
† Brazilian servers
Altar of Storms is a US EST PVP server which opened on 05/18/06. It has close to a 1.5 to 1 activity ratio between Horde and Alliance in the evenings, with less than a minute queue times for Battlegrounds. Being a Medium / Low population server, it has no wait to log into the game. Pre-WotLK progression and ranking has been given its own page.
- Altar of Storms Official Forums from WorldofWarcraft.Com
- AoS Census from WarcraftRealms.Com. Need more Alliance players.
- AoS Horde and Alliance Faction Activity from WarcraftRealms.Com
- AoS Progression from WowJutsu.Com
- AoS PvE Progression by Rajaa on the AoS Realm Forums
- Cynosure vs. Illidan Stormrage | 12/13/2007 06:06:15 PM EST. It's the final countdown.
As of 12/08/2008 for lvl 70-80:
Total Alliance: 2,612 - 37%
Total Horde: 4,482 - 63%
A to H Ratio: 1 : 1.7
Activity Ratio: 1 : 1.5
Although Horde outnumber Alliance 2 to 1 on this server, during "primetime" (6 pm to 11 pm est) it is a more manageble 1.5 to 1 ratio. If you are Alliance, try to travel with a buddy for backup, and watch out who you gank while you are levelling up.
- 1 Guilds
- 2 Firsts
- 3 Progression
- 4 Arena (PVP)
- 5 Brief History
- 6 Videos
- 7 World PVP
- 8 Pre-Burning Crusade Progression
- Heroes Inc Website
- Live or Die Website
- Mal Katai Website
- Para Bellum
- Manus Domini Website
- Atonement Website
- Caustic Website
- Cirrose Hepática Website
- Cynosure Website
- Dark Tide Website
- Epidemic Website
- Lok Tar Website
- Ministry of the Fallen Website
- Nêmesis Website
- Order of Shadows Website
- Pretentious Website
- Sanctu Maleficus Website
- Simbolic Logic Website
- The Sunshine Bunch Website
- Valence Website
Realm First! Level 70 & 80
Realm First! Level 80: <Cynosure> Blackwal
- 11-15-2008: Blood Elf and Paladin: <Cynosure> Blackwal
- 11-15-2008: Forsaken and Warrior: <Instability> Basicslol
- 11-16-2008: Troll and Mage: <Nightmare> Snowsong
- 11-16-2008: Shaman, <Cynosure> Honashnee
- 11-16-2008: Orc and Hunter, <Instability> Bloodylol
- 11-16-2008: Human, Thermia
- 11-16-2008: Druid, <Rápture> Belias
- 11-16-2008: Priest, <Instability> Jinanjuice
- 11-16-2008: Tauren, <Instability> Xerxius
- 11-16-2008: Warlock, <Nation of Death> Ashorius
- 11-16-2008: Gnome, <Zombie Jihad> Gnomoguapo
- 11-16-2008: Dwarf, <Zombie Jihad> Auralya
- 11-17-2008: Rogue, <Cynosure> Saurox
- 11-17-2008: Death Knight, <Instability> Tramaz
- 11-18-2008: Draenei, <Emerald Dawn> Grimlocke
- 11-18-2008: Night Elf, <Para Bellum> Amraz
Realm First! Level 70:These are a list of the first 10 players (assorted by faction) that have reached the new highest rank of Level 70. The first player to hit level 70 on this server was the Alliance player Kirios of the guild <Malicè> (1/20/2007)
DISCLAIMER: These rankings are based on user monitoring and word-of-mouth, so they might not be entirely accurate.
Realm First! Professions
- 11-13-2008: Grand Master Miner, <Lordaeron Philharmonic> Vakerik
- 11-13-2008: Grand Master Skinner, <Ascended> Mojoo
- 11-13-2008: Grand Master Angler, <WolVerines> Trenchtown
- 11-14-2008: Herbalism 450, <Misery> Chow
- 11-14-2008: Grand Master Engineer, <Lordaeron Philharmonic> Vakerik
- 11-15-2008: First Aid Grand Master, <Instability> Erkdance
- 11-15-2008: Grand Master Jewelcrafter, <Coalition> Masvita
- 11-15-2008: Grand Master Blacksmith, <Coalition> Tumus
- 11-16-2008: Grand Master Enchanter, <Coalition> Ceruibash
- 11-16-2008: Grand Master Alchemist, <Cynosure> Huzzari
- 11-21-2008: Grand Master Tailor, <Arkham> Psydin
- 11-23-2008: Grand Master Leatherworker, <Gêhênna> Rokosh
- 11-23-2008: Cooking Grand Master, <Dark Serenity> Iwachiten
NOTE: In an effort to keep pace with current progression rates, please reference [~ttp://www.wowprogress.com/pve/us/altar-of-storms WoWProgress]if you are interested in the servers PvE progression.
Burning Crusade PvE progression saw its share of guilds come and go. Four Horde guilds (Cynosure, Epidemic, Valence, and Lok Tar), and one Alliance guild (Bloodsky) would clear Black Temple prior to patch 3.0.2(Echoes of Doom, a.k.a. the WotLK patch). Bloodsky would disband prior to the release of WotLK. No guilds of either faction would clear SWP prior to the patch, with Cynosure being furthest progressed (M'uru killed). Following the patch, many guilds that were previously unable to push into MH/BT would find success with the major nerfs to the endgame content. The following is a list of important dates in BC PvE progression:
(3/12): <Epidemic> downs Nightbane.
(3/18): <Heavy Hitters> downs Nightbane.
(3/18): <Lok Tar> downs Prince Malchezaar.
(3/21): <Epidemic> downs Gruul.
(3/22): <Sinister> downs Shade of Aran and Prince Malchezaar.
(3/23): <Lok Tar> downs Terestian Illhoof, Netherspite, and Nightbane.
(3/31): <Lame> and <Heavy Hitters> merged to form <Well Endowed>.
(3/31): <Well Endowed> downs High King Maulgar.
(4/05): <Eye of the Dragon> downs High King Maulgar.
(4/09): <Eye of the Dragon> downs Nightbane.
(4/10): <Epidemic> downs Magtheridon. (4/12): <Eye of the Dragon> downs Gruul.
(4/13): <Well Endowed> downs Gruul.
(4/16): <Lok Tar> downs High King Maulgar.
(4/16): <Mythical> downs Nightbane.
(4/21): <Well Endowed> reforms as <Lame>.
(5/??): <Epidemic> and <Lok Tar> merge to form <Epidemic>.
(5/31): <Sinister> downs Terestian Illhoof, Netherspite, and Nightbane.
(6/16): <Eye of The Dragon> and <Mythical> merge to form Cynosure.
(10/05): <Cynosure> downs Kael'thas Sunstrider.
(10/29): <Cynosure> downs Archimonde.
(12/10): <Cynosure> downs Illidan Stormrage.
(1/6/08): <G Quit> downs Morogrim Tidewalker.
(1/7/08): <G Quit> downs Lady Vashj
(1/12/08): <G Quit> downs Kael'thas Sunstrider
(1/14/08): Newly reformed <Epidemic> downs Al'ar.
(1/14/08):<Epidemic> downs Morogrim Tidewalker.
(1/16/08):<Epidemic> downs High Astromancer Solarian.
(1/18/08): <Archetypes> (composed of former Sinister, Repercussion and Sanctu Maleficus members) downs Fathom-Lord Karathress.
(1/28/08):<Bloodsky> downs Archimonde thus clearing Mount Hyjal.
(2/04/08-2/07/08) <Epidemic> downs Lady VashjKael'thas Sunstrider and Rage Winterchill thus clearing SSC/TK.
(3/03/08): <Heroes Inc> downs Gruul.
(3/??/08): <Archetypes> and <G Quit> disband.
(3/31/2008): <Bloodsky> is the first Alliance guild to kill Illidan.
(5/6/2008): <Epidemic> is the second Horde guild to kill Illidan, but failed the looting phase.
(7/28/08): <Valence> becomes the third Horde guild (4th on server) to kill Illidan.
(7/30/08): <Epidemic> downs Kalecgos , the first boss on Sunwell Plateau, becoming the second Horde guild killing him.
August, 2008: <Bloodsky>, the top Alliance guild, disbands.
(8/25/08): <Lok Tar> downs Illidan becoming the 4th horde guild to do so.
Gladiators on Altar of Storms
Gladiator is a Title awarded to Arena participants who place in the top 0.5% of their Battlegroup at the end of a Season. Gladiators were also awarded a . Titles are displayed before the character's name, as an indication of the character's achievements. Altar of Storms' Battlegroup is Nightfall (Forums).
Hall of Fame
From WowArmory.Com's Hall of Fame page: "The Hall of Fame recognizes the best teams of each Arena Ladder season – those teams who finished in the top 0.5% of their team bracket in each battlegroup. In addition to being permanently commemorated here for all to see, every team member who played in at least 20% of his or her team's total games also receives an armored Netherdrake mount and a title as trophies". Select the links to find who on Altar of Storms has made the Hall of Fame! Features all 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3, and 5 vs 5 winners, and their rankings.
The server has seen some tough times. The first four months are still remembered fondly by the oldtimers, with all the activity presented by reroll guilds competing for server firsts when Altar of Storms first opened. The population exploded to a "High" status very quickly. But with a cap on incoming transfers that lasted too long, and the lowbie alt that couldn't transfer their main characters here, players started looking elsewhere to transfer. By September and October 2006, the reroll guilds started transfering off. By late October, Altar of Storms' population was so low that it received the notorious label of a "Recommended" server. Since then, even though the population has rebounded, and progression is happening, because progression has happened at too slow rate a rate for many hardcore members of this realm, the old forum trolls have dubbed AoS a "Dead" server since September 2006.
In spite of the past history, new players to Warcraft, casual players, and hardcore players from servers in worse shape appear to believe the server is fine, using the lively forum discussion and entertaining forum PVP the forum trolls participate in as evidence. The early server struggles forged a close bond between the players. Former players who have transfered still lurk and post on the forums, swapping stories about that first summer when everything was new, or goading and joshing the new players about how no guild compares when giants such as <Hate Plow> and <Mindtrip> walked the realm. "Grats, DS!"
Ever since Patch 2.3 was released in November 2007 with Leveling Improvements many players have started re-rolling new characters, and experimenting with different classes, giving the low level maps — especially the Alliance's Elwynn Forest and Westfall — a wave of tremendous activity. Alliance players will get their first introduction to the opposite faction, the Horde, who are quite active in the Moonbrook section of Westfall. The Horde routinely run Deadmines, and put hits out on the Defias Messenger, The Defias Traitor, and any Alliance member who dares engage them in combat. Likewise, low-level Horde players are often visited by Alliance players who spontaneously organize raids on their Trade channel to the Crossroads via the Booty Bay ferry in Stranglethorn Vale and Ratchet. The Undead starting realms are always being invaded by Alliance members who raid Brill, sometimes taking potshots at the questgivers on their way to the Scarlet Monastery.
Regarding progression: Hordeside, Cynosure paved the way by killing Illidan just before Christmas 2007, and Bloodsky, Alliance-side, has killed Mother_Shahraz and is working their way to Illidan for the first kill Alliance side and the only guild currently in Hyjal and Black Temple.
Numerous casual guilds are having a blast simply kicking around in Karazhan, wiping on Zul'Aman, and dreaming of Gruul's_Lair. Like duelling? For the Alliance, go to Ironforge, and right in front of the bank, you'll always find people dueling, saying hello to their friends, then kick their butts and ribbing them about it, publically. For the Horde, outside Orgimarr is a popular destination for the serious duelist. Many a casual Orgrimarr raid of Alliance players have been smashed by them.
But all in all, Altar of Storms is a realm to see more world PvP than PvE. But, still you may catch a break and get a /wave by an ally instead.
For more information on the early history: View these threads on Forums.Worldofwarcraft.Com / Altar of Storms --
- Altar of Storms (US) needs YOUR help! by Stumble | 09/27/2006 05:57:15 PM EDT
- @Cardd... Enjoy the Video by Vexxin | 10/15/2006 09:49:40 PM EDT. An Alliance player wins a fight, and the flames begin.
- The dirt on AoS guilds | 12/15/2006 02:21:07 AM EST. An early recorded guild flame war.
- Hey, Heavy Hitters by Beard | 01/17/2007 06:27:25 PM EST. Ganking victim calls out a named guild (now defunct).
- The Truth About Things Around Here | 06/19/2007 04:06:58 AM EDT. An early recorded guild flame war.
- Cynosure vs. Illidan Stormrage | 12/13/2007 06:06:15 PM EST. It's the final countdown.
- Mindtrip vs Ragnaros | 6/30/2006
World PVP does occur on Altar of Storms, and consists more than the random skirmishes while leveling up in Stranglethorn Vale or Tanaris, or questing near Halaa. It can be a dangerous place, not knowing if the player of the opposite faction is simply trying to grind out levels, or is looking for a bit of fun. Guilds have to stick together, don't you know. Now that you can level quicker, that lvl 30 up ahead just might have a lvl 70 main character, so it is best to be cautious. Many a victim of a ganking has voiced his or her outrage, only to be met with an unsympathetic ear. PVP simply happens. When doing your daily quests. When you are strolling along Stormwind. When you are in Orgrimmar. Who knows if a rogue is waiting behind you? Things can get a little ... tense.
- Horde invade Stormwind City and Ironforge (Video: 03/18/2008), sometimes rushing to the tram to regroup and summon reinforcements (Video: 1/1/2008 ).
- Alliance forces attempt to raid Orgrimmar (Video: 7/27/2007), rehearsing in the Crossroads and Thunder Bluff (Video: 3/1/2008).
- Some even have tried to set up old-fashioned Tarren Mill vs Southshore battles (#1, #2, #3, #4).
- This doesn't mean you can't group up with a few buddies and go hunting: ( Paymon[A] (9/3/2007) )
Pre-Burning Crusade Progression
Pre-Burning Crusade, the Altar of Storms WowWIKI was created, updated, and moderated by SideShowMel0329. He added the last bit of information on 19:36, 14 January 2007 before updating the entire site for the World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade expansion pack, which was released on January 16th, 2007 in North America, Europe and Australia. You can find the old AoS WowWIKI pages archived:
Old AoS WowWIKIs
- Revision as of 03:07, 19 September 2006 by SideShowMel0329: Four months after the server's opening, the re-roll guilds transfered off.
- Revision as of 19:36, 14 January 2007 by SideShowMel0329: Last version before the major Burning Crusade update.
For more entries, you can select the "History" tab at the top of the page, sorting by the earliest revisions.
Old "Breaking News" Archives
For more infomation, a compilation exists for most Breaking News updates that were provided almost daily by SideShowMel0329 from May 2006 to January 2007. They have been archived by ManicMan11 on the January 2007 version of this site.
Old News around the Web
News relating to Altar of Storms:
- 05/18/2006: New Realms by Tseric in Wow-News: "We are happy to announce the opening of two new realms: Altar of Storms, a PvP realm, and Uldaman, a PvE realm. These realms are located on our latest World of Warcraft site, which feature all new hardware. This will provide an opportunity, to new and old players alike, to begin fresh adventures in Azeroth!"
- 05/18/2006: <Mindtrip> hears about a new server, Altar of Storms (Mindtrip General Forums )
- 06/28/2006: 1UP.Com, "Paid Transfers Begin in WoW", "[...] only five servers (Altar of Storms, Argent Dawn, Demon Soul, Illidan, and Warsong) players can transfer their characters off of, and 51 servers [are] ineligible to receive immigrants: Aggramar, Altar of Storms [...]".
Defunct/ Transfered off AoS Guild Websites
Some guilds are still around in other forms. Some are long gone. But their websites remain. Here they are...In case you are an AoS resident and wanted to track down your old friends and drag them back to this server.