Sha of Fear
|Location||Terrace of Endless Spring|
The Sha of Fear is one of seven prime sha. It was sealed by in ancient times. The sha primes were freed by the Alliance-Horde War arriving in Pandaria. The Sha of Fear escaped its prison in Niuzao Temple and proceeded to corrupt the Mantid of the Dread Wastes. After Klaxxi-aligned adventurers killed , the Sha prime retreated to the Terrace of Endless Spring.
The Sha of Fear is the fourth and final boss of the Terrace of Endless Spring as well as the end encounter for Tier 14. During the fight, the raid group will periodically be forced apart to battle both the Sha of Fear and its Terror Spawn adds, and the Shadows of the Golden Lotus. On heroic, the raid must contend with the Sha of Fear and even more dangerous adds on its home turf.
- 1 Background
- 2 Spells and Abilities
- 3 Strategy
- 4 Loot
- 5 Related Achievements
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Videos
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Patches and hotfixes
- 10 References
- 11 External links
The Burdens of Shaohao
While traveling through the the Dread Wastes, was paralyzed by fear when he saw his friend, the Monkey King, stuck in the vines of a tree with three mantid below. Remembering the words from , he looked to the land and found the courage to use the sap, which the mantid hold dear to them, against the three and rescue the Monkey King.
Mists of Pandaria
Soon after rising from his prison, the Sha of Fear takes control of the mantid empress and essentially becomes the ruler of the Dread Wastes. After escaping when the empress is killed, he challenges the heroes to meet him at the Terrace of Endless Spring in the Veiled Stair, where he is the final boss.
The Sha of Fear is the physical manifestation of terror in Pandaria. Imprisoned by the legendary pandaren emperor Shaohao long ago, the entity has been newly strengthened by rising conflict across the island.
Spells and Abilities
The Sha of Fear looms atop the terrace, attempting to consume the pure light still emanating from its center. He goes Berserk after 15 minutes. This timer resets to 10 minutes the moment the Sha retreats to the Dread Expanse.
- Pure Light — A narrow column of uncorrupted light still projects skyward from the center of the terrace. When a player stands in this light it bends, forming a protective wall that extends back from this Champion of the Light in a 'V' shape. This attracts the attention of the Sha, who fixates on the Champion.
- Breath of Fear — The Sha inflicts 450,000 (LFR: 225,000 /: 675,000) Shadow damage to all enemies over 1.5 sec. Affected enemies are feared for the duration. Players standing behind the Wall of Light are unaffected.
- Eerie Skull — The Sha throws a skull at a player's location, inflicting 82,500 (LFR: 45,375 /: 107,500) Shadow damage to enemies within 3 yds of the impact point.
- Ominous Cackle — The Sha cackles ominously and teleports a group of players to one of the outer shrines to battle a former guardian of the terrace.
- Reaching Attack — The Sha strikes at a distant target, inflicting 50% weapon damage as Shadow and increasing Shadow damage taken by 25% for 25 sec. This ability is used when no targets are in melee range. 1 sec cast.
- Lei's Hope — With the Sha's recent retreat to the Dread Expanse, the light in the terrace seems to glow more brightly. Attack and casting speeds are increased by 15% within the Terrace of Endless Spring.
The Sha periodically summons a pair of Terror Spawns to attack players. Each Terror Spawn is protected by a bulwark of dark energy that deflects spells and attacks that strike the front of the creature.
- Dark Bulwark — Dark energy forms a shield in front of the caster, deflecting spells and attacks made from the front.
- Penetrating Bolt — Hurls a bolt of dark magic at an enemy player's location, inflicting 89,250 (LFR: 49,000 /: 117,600) Shadow damage to those within 4 yards of the impact point and increasing Shadow damage taken by 25% for 15 sec.
The Outer Shrines
- Dread Spray — The caster rapidly fires sprays of Dread Bolts at enemy targets for 8 sec. The caster is immune to taunt for the duration. Each spray of Dread Bolts fires in a cone in front of the caster, inflicting 75% weapon damage as Shadow and afflicting the target for 8 sec. At 2 stacks, the target is feared for 4 sec.
- Death Blossom — The caster spins in a circle, unleashing a hail of bolts in all directions for 6 sec. Each bolt that strikes an enemy inflicts 82,000 (LFR: 46,000 /: 168,000) Physical damage.
- Sha Globe — Globes of Sha energy are knocked out of the possessed crossbowman as he loses health. Touching a globe will consume it, inflicting 30,000 (LFR: 16500 /: 39,000) Shadow damage but refilling the player's primary resource over time. If not consumed within 8 sec the globe will return to the bowman, healing him for 5% (LFR: 2% /: 8%) of his maximum health.
- Fearless — Defeating any of the possessed crossbowmen returns the group to the central terrace and grants them 60% increased damage and healing along with 150% movement speed, and complete immunity to Fear effects for 30 sec.
On heroic difficulty the Sha of Fear retreats to the Dread Expanse at 66% remaining health, dragging players along with him. This watery wasteland is a place of the Sha's making where he has access to a new set of abilities.
- Fading Light — The last glimmers of light from the terrace heal players as they are extinguished, restoring 90% health and mana over 6 sec. In addition, all player cooldowns are reset.
- Pure Light — The uncorrupted light from the terrace binds itself to the current champion and takes on a new form. It grows stronger, granting the champion immunity to fear and horror effects and 30% reduced damage taken.
- Implacable Strike — The Sha unleashes an Implacable Strike in the direction of his current target that inflicts 860,000 Frost damage to enemies up to 20 yards away. 3.5 sec cast
- Naked and Afraid — The Sha strips the gear from his current target before performing Implacable Strike, reducing the target's armor and chance to dodge and parry by 100% for 40 sec.
- Waterspout — The Sha agitates the water under several players, creating a series of waterspouts. Each waterspout takes 1.5 sec. to form and explode, inflicting 205,000 Frost damage to enemies within 2 yds. 1.5 sec cast.
- Huddle in Terror — The Sha terrifies several players, causing them to cower in fear and inflicting 75,000 Shadow damage every 1 sec. for 15 sec.
- Submerge — The Sha disappears below the surface of the Dread Expanse for a short time, then emerges under a random player inflicting 768,750 Frost damage to enemies within 12 yds. The Sha summons an increasing number of Dread Spawns each time he submerges.
- Sha Spine — The Dread Spawn emits Sha Spines. Each spine inflicts 61,500 Shadow damage to random players.
- Gathering Speed — The Dread Spawn periodically gains 100% movement speed. This effect can stack up to 5 times, but is reset when a new Champion of the Light is chosen.
- Eternal Darkness — The Dread Spawn kills his current target if he is able to get within melee range. 1 sec cast.
One tank must always stand within the Pure Light to create the Wall of Light safe zone. The second tank should also stand within the Pure Light, as the boss will fixate on whoever is within the Pure Light when the current tank is sent to one of the Outer Shrines by Ominous Cackle (the second tank must always be standing within the Pure Light before Ominous Cackle goes off, otherwise Reaching Attack will quickly start wiping the raid). No other player should stand within the Pure Light, otherwise the boss may fixate on them instead.
The tank active on the boss will need to keep an eye out for when Thrash is coming up. Active mitigation abilities should be timed for Thrash, particularly on heroic.
Healers should stay within the Wall of Light at all times. Ranged will spend the majority of the fight within the Wall of Light, but will need to venture outside to help kill adds. Melee will mainly be attacking the boss from behind and helping with adds, and consequently will be outside the Wall of Light for most of the time; however, they will need to be inside whenever Breath of Fear is cast.
The adds (Terror Spawns) are shielded from the front and can therefore only be attacked from behind. DPS will need to venture outside the Wall of Light safe zone to deal with them before they overwhelm the raid by sheer numbers. However, it is critically important that DPS keep an eye on the Breath of Fear timer and make it back to the Wall of Light before Breath of Fear is cast, as anyone caught outside will likely die.
Players should spread out at least 3 yards to prevent splash damage from Eerie Skull. Penetrating Bolt from the Terror Spawns can be easily side-stepped so long as the Terror Spawn numbers are kept under control.
Ominous Cackle will always send one tank, one healer and three DPS (chosen randomly) to one of three Outer Shrines (the Outer Shine strategy is detailed below). This places the following constraints on raid composition:
- In 10-man difficulty (both normal and heroic), this forces the raid composition to be two tanks, two healers and six DPS.
- In 25-man difficulty (both normal and heroic), Ominous Cackle is cast every 45 seconds (it is cast every 90 seconds in 10-man and LFR). Unless DPS is powerful enough to deal with the Outer Shrine in under 45 seconds, three tanks and at least six healers are required.
The Outer Shrines
The group sent to one of the Outer Shines will be faced with a Sha-posessed pandaren, and must defeat him before Ominous Cackle removes the last remaining tank from the Terrace (failing which, Reaching Attack will start wiping the raid). In LFR and 10-man, the group will have 90 seconds. 25-man groups running with three tanks will also have 90 seconds, but will have only 45 seconds if the group decides to run with only two tanks (which requires the group to have insane DPS).
Besides the typical duties of tanking and spanking the pandaren, the group on the shrine must vacuum up the Sha Globes before they return to the pandaren and heal him up. This is less important on LFR (each globe will heal for 2%), but is significantly more important on normal (5% healing), and is pretty much mandatory on heroic (8% healing). The Sha Globes do minor damage to the player vacuuming them up, so players should be careful not to vacuum up any Sha Globes if their health is low.
Dread Spray can be avoided with practice (required for the achievement), but does not do major damage. The fear from players failing at Dread Spray can be dispelled.
Death Blossom can easily kill unprepared players, particularly on heroic. The three DPS and the healer should line of sight Death Blossom behind the pillars on the edge of the shine, while the tank pops a cooldown, eats the damage, and continues to vacuum the Sha Globes. Death Blossom damage is Physical, so the tank should be able to eat the damage without too many problems.
Once the pandaren is defeated, the group can click a portal to return them to the main fight on the Terrace. The returning group will receive a buff (Fearless) which gives them increased damage, increased movement speed, increased healing, and complete immunity to Breath of Fear for 30 seconds; consequently, the three returning DPS players should use this opportunity to mop up the Terror Spawns on the main platform (the returning healer can head straight for the Wall of Light, and the returning tank needs to head for the Pure Light puddle in time to take over tanking the boss on the following Ominous Cackle cast). They will not need to worry about running into the Wall of Light to avoid Breath of Fear while they have the Fearless buff, but it is important that they monitor how much time remains on their buff so that Breath of Fear does not catch them out after the buff duration ends.
The Dread Expanse
- Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it.
- You will know fear!
- Breath of Fear
- Ominous Cackle (last 2 quotes are the same by all 3.)
- Cheng Kang yells: The fear clouds my mind. I...cannot resist.
- Jinlun Kun yells: No one can stand against the fear. You will perish.
- Yang Guoshi yells: Its power is so strong. It forces me to destroy you.
- Seek shelter, lest I strike you down as the Sha commands!
- You face your fear. A moment's... peace.
- Killing a player
- Drown in terror.
- Heroic mode
- You think it is so easy to vanquish your fears?
- Dread rises! It seeks the light. It hungers.
- Huddle in Terror
- Huddle in terror!
- Sha of Fear Fury Warrior, LFR
- Sha of Fear (1080p) - Elemental Shaman
- Sha of Fear Normal - Melee POV (Rogue) - Live Servers, Live Commentary, Ventrilo, 1080p
- Sha of Fear (1080p) - Mage, Boss voice, vent
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2012-11-06): "The Sha of Fear's Ominous Cackle will no longer sometimes send players to the same platform twice in a row."
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Added.