Shadow Word: Death
|Shadow Word: Death|
- As words go, it's frequently the last.
Shadow Word: Death is a level 75 Shadow priest talent. It is a Shadow Word - a Shadow-based direct damage spell that deals instant damage, and an "execute" ability, only usable on targets below 20% health. It also generates 15 Insanity, or 30 if the target dies, and has 2 charges.
Tips and tactics
- Shadow Word: Death (SW:D) is a useful means of dealing instant damage, especially while on the move, although its health requirement limits its usefulness to that of an execute ability.
- Shadow priests will usually want to use SW:D as often as possible, both to generate Insanity and to deal excellent mobile damage almost matching that of .
- Shadow Word: Death is a basic Priest spell in Hearthstone. The flavor text reads: "If you miss, it leaves a lightning-bolt-shaped scar on your target."
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Shadow Word: Death is no longer a baseline ability for Shadow priests, and instead is now available as a level 75 Shadow priest talent.
- Patch 7.1.5 (2017-01-10): Generates 15 Insanity untalented (was 10).
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): Now learned at level 50 (was 46).
- Hotfix (2013-09-13): "Landing a killing blow with Shadow Word: Death should no longer incorrectly grant 2 Shadow Orbs."
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Now deals 15% more damage.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Redesigned. Shadow Word: Death no longer deals triple damage to targets below 25% health, and no longer inflicts backlash damage on the caster if the target is not killed by the spell. For Shadow priests: Now generates 1 Shadow Orb. If the target does not die, the cooldown is reset, but this additional Shadow Word: Death does not grant a Shadow Orb. This effect has a 6 sec cooldown.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Shadow Word: Death damage done has been increased by 12%.
- Hotfix (2010-12-07): "Low-level priests will now properly take Shadow Word: Death backlash damage when casting Shadow Word: Death."
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Range increased to 40 yards, up from 30 yards. Cooldown reduced to 10 sec, down from 12 sec.
- Patch 3.0.3 (2008-11-04): The self-damage from this spell can no longer be reflected or redirected.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): Cooldown increased to 12 sec and will now properly damage the casting Priest when it is reflected.
- Patch 2.0.1 (2006-12-05): Added.