Shadow Word: Pain
- "SWP" redirects here. For the raid instance, see Sunwell Plateau.
|Shadow Word: Pain|
- "Your pain is my pleasure." —Omedus the Punisher
Shadow Word: Pain is a level 3 Discipline and Shadow priest ability, and the only Shadow Word available to Discipline priests. It is a damage over time priest spell with a direct damage component. It deals damage over 16, and a smaller amount (equal to a single tick) instantly.
For Shadow priests, Shadow Word: Pain costs no mana and generates 4 Insanity on application.
- Contemptuous Homily (Discipline)
- Death Throes (Both)
- Depth of the Shadows (Both)
- Searing Dialogue (Shadow)
- Like all damage over time spells, sufficient haste will cause Shadow Word: Pain to gain extra ticks.
- Shadow Word: Pain will not deal its initial damage when applied with via .
Tips and tactics
Shadow priests use Shadow Word: Pain (commonly abbreviated as SW:P) as one of their key damage-over-time attacks, with improving its damage considerably. It should generally be kept active on enemies at all times.
As an instant cast DoT with no prerequisites, SW:P can be useful for preventing rogues from stealthing and dealing damage while on the move.
Unlike most DoTs, Shadow Word: Pain has an initial direct damage component that will interrupt flag captures and similar processes, making it highly useful for this purpose. This makes SW:P the shadow priest's only instant spammable direct damage ability.
In the RPG
This spell envelopes a target briefly in a cloud of dark energy conjured from the netherworld.
- Shadow Word: Pain is a basic Priest spell in Hearthstone. The flavor text reads: "A step up from a spell cast by many beginning acolytes: "Shadow Word: Annoy"."
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 8.3.0 (2020-01-14): Shadow Word: Pain damage reduced by 9%.
- Patch 8.2.0 (2019-06-25): Shadow Word: Pain damage reduced by 9%.
- Patch 8.1.0 (2018-12-11): (Discipline) Damage reduced by 11%. (Shadow) Damage reduced by 5%.
- Hotfix (2018-09-10): "Shadow Word: Pain (Shadow) damage increased by 20%."
- Hotfix (2018-08-07): "Shadow Word: Pain (Discipline) damage reduced by 9%."
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Duration reduced to 16 seconds (was 18 seconds).
- Hotfix (2017-12-05): "Shadow Word: Pain (Shadow) damage reduced by 12%."
- Hotfix (2017-11-28): "Shadow Word: Pain (Shadow) damage reduced by 4%."
- Hotfix (2017-06-13): "Shadow Word: Pain (Shadow) damage reduced by 20% in PvP situations."
- Patch 7.2.5 (2017-06-13): Shadow Word: Pain damage increased by 5% for Discipline and 10% for Shadow.
- Hotfix (2017-02-21): "Shadow Word: Pain (with the Misery talent) is now properly applied to the target when out of range."
- Patch 7.1.5 (2017-01-10): (Shadow) Duration now 18 seconds (was 14 seconds). Now generates 4 Insanity (was 3).
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): (Shadow) Damage reduced by 10%.
- Hotfix (2016-08-26): "Shadow Word: Pain (Discipline) damage increased by 7%."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): No longer available to Holy. Damage per tick reduced by 5%. Duration reduced to 14 seconds (down from 18). Now generates Insanity (Shadow only).
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Mana cost reduced by 50%. Shadow Word: Pain's initial damage is now considered direct damage rather than periodic damage. Shadowy Apparitions and Shadowy Insight are no longer able to trigger from this initial direct damage.
- Hotfix (2013-09-23): "Shadow Word: Pain's damage has been reduced by 15%."
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Now deals 25% more damage.
- Hotfix (2013-03-12): "Shadow Word: Pain now deals 25% less damage."
- Hotfix (2013-03-05): "Shadow Word: Pain now deals 25% more damage."
- Hotfix (2012-09-14): "Shadow Word: Pain should now interrupt flag captures and other similar processes with its initial damage (but not its periodic damage over time)."
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now deals initial damage in addition to its periodic damage.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Shadow Word: Pain damage done has been decreased by 12%.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Range increased to 40 yards, up from 30.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): No longer gains increased damage from critical strike via . Instead, Shadowform will now grant Shadow Word: Pain the ability to critically strike.
- Patch 3.0.3 (2008-11-04): Shadow Word: Pain cast while in now deals increased damage equal to the caster's critical strike chance.
- Patch 2.0.6 (2007-01-23): Spell power coefficient reduced by 9%.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Removed facing requirement.
- Patch 0.6 (2004-04-13): Shadow Word: Pain will now stack with .