- "Totem" redirects here. For the old shaman relic items, see Totem (relic).
Tauren totems, used by all Horde shamans before patch 3.3
Totems are tools used by a shaman as an instrument of war. Characterized by their immobility and area of effect, the totems embody the shaman's mastery over the elements. Some totems possess destructive power while others aid and assist allies. Shamanistic cultures outside those of the Horde and draenei also possess the ability to use totems in battle.
Totems are unique to the shaman. Once a totem is put down it cannot be moved, but a new totem can be used to replace it. Although the shaman's totems are summoned and fixed near the caster, a shaman player can place a totem while moving. A totem's effect is only active within a certain radius of the totem (making it a hybrid version of Point Blank Area of Effect and Ground Targeted Area of Effect). The totem can be planted underwater, and appears floating at the foot level of the character. Totems are immune to AoEs and DoTs, and must be specifically attacked to be destroyed.
Totems are considered spells, and summoning totems can be prevented by silencing effects.
Positional placement of totems
Totems are always placed roughly 3 yards away from the position from where you cast it. The exact position of the totem is dependent on where you are when you cast it, and in which direction you are facing.
|Fire Totem Spells
|| [Skyfury Totem]
|| Rank 4 honor talent
The subject of this section has been removed from World of Warcraft.
Elemental Protection Totem.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): A majority of totems have been changed to not be part of a category. Fire and Air totems still exist.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Totems will no longer cause hostile creatures to enter combat with the shaman based on proximity.
- Patch 5.1.0 (2012-11-27): All totems are now considered spells, and summoning totems can be prevented by silencing effects. [Searing Totem], [Magma Totem], and Fire Elemental totems fall into the Fire school, while all other totems fall under the Nature school.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Stone Bulwark Totem, Earthgrab Totem, Windwalk Totem and Healing Tide Totem added. Stoneskin Totem, Stoneclaw Totem, Strength of Earth Totem, Flametongue Totem, Elemental Resistance Totem, Mana Spring Totem, Totem of Tranquil Mind, Windfury Totem and Wrath of Air Totem removed.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Totem of Wrath has been removed (being replaced by the Totemic Wrath talent), along with Sentry Totem, Cleansing Totem, and Frost, Nature, and Fire Resistance Totems (which have been merged into one totem, Elemental Resistance Totem). In addition, a new totem has been added, Tranquil Mind Totem.
- Patch 3.3.0 (2009-12-08): Each of the horde races now have unique totem artwork. Some of the totems are going from party-only buffs to raid buffs. Tranquil Air Totem has also been removed.