Shield Wall is a level 48 Protection warrior ability. When activated it reduces damage taken by 40% for 12 seconds. It has a 3 minute cooldown.
- Despite the nature of the ability, with patch 5.4.0 Shield Wall no longer requires a shield to be equipped. If the warrior does not have a shield equipped, a visual of an equipped shield will be displayed.
- Shield Wall is not affected by the global cooldown.
Tips and tactics
- Shield wall is one of the most powerful forms of damage reduction in the game, and is very effective at keeping the warrior alive. In addition, shield wall does not drop aggro, so it allows a warrior to continue tanking.
- Shield Wall is a great panic button, and is useful when you just have to survive a little bit longer. Examples include an OOM healer, just a few adds too many, an enraged end-instance/Raid Boss, too many stacks of a debuff that reduces healing received, or a battleground flag run.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Cooldown increased from 3 minutes to 4 minutes.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Now available only to Protection warriors. Duration reduced to 8 seconds, down from 12 seconds.
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): No longer requires a shield. If the Warrior does not have a shield equipped, it will show a visual of an equipped shield.
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): Cooldown has been reduced to 3 minutes, down from 5 minutes.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Retaliation, Recklessness and Shield Wall no longer have stance requirements.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Shield Wall now reduces all damage taken by 50% for 12 seconds, cooldown reduced to 5 minutes. Shield Wall is no longer linked to or .
- Patch 1.7.0 (2005-09-22): Shield Wall will no longer be canceled if you switch stances while the effect is active.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Moved to level 28