- For strategy on the encounter in Bastion of Twilight, see Sinestra (tactics).
- Not to be confused with Sintharia Cinderweave.
|Race||Black dragon (Dragonkin)|
|Occupation||Former prime consort of Deathwing, Matriarch of the Black Dragonflight and Twilight Dragonflight|
|Status||Active (lore); Killable (WoW)|
Nefarian and Onyxia (children),
Nyxondra (possible daughter),
Wrathion (possible grandchild)
- “No! This is my dream! My grand vision! Yes, I will make over Azeroth into a realm ruled by the ultimate dragonflight, but it will be my creation, nothing of his! Mine!”
- — Sinestra
Sintharia, also known as Sinestra or Lady Sinestra, was the former prime consort of Deathwing and mother of Nefarian and Onyxia. Until recently, she was believed dead. Her experiments led to the creation of the Twilight Dragonflight, through which she planned to rule Azeroth. Her plans never came to fruition, and she was killed during the destruction of her own creation, the twilight dragon Dargonax. However, recent events have revealed that she was reanimated by the power of the Old Gods.
Sintharia was once the prime consort of Neltharion, who later came to be known as Deathwing. She gave birth to some of Deathwing's most despicable children including Nefarian and his sister, Onyxia. After Neltharion's madness overtook him and the rest of the black dragonflight, the newly disfigured Deathwing attempted to mate with his consorts, causing Sintharia a great deal of pain and leaving behind scars and marks that would continue to burn for (at least) the rest of her natural life. Sintharia was the only mate known to have survived.
Approximately five hundred years prior to the opening of the Dark Portal, Sintharia attempted to bring down the Kirin Tor with a curse that left the wizards unable to use their magic. Her scheme was foiled in part by Korialstrasz, consort to Alexstrasza, and when Sintharia was defeated, most believed her to be dead. She survived, however, and forsook her mate and children, taking on the guise of Lady Sinestra, a name she came to use as a dragon as well.
Though the Black Dragonflight is in the process of dying out, that isn't stopping Deathwing from trying to keep it alive. Sinestra's children, Nefarian and Onyxia, have continued their plan of domination even in their father's absence. But Nefarian fell, leaving nobody behind to continue Deathwing's plans. Sinestra, on the other hand, wasn't beholden to Deathwing at all. In fact, she hated her former mate.
This section concerns content related to The Burning Crusade.
After the disappearance of Deathwing and the death of Nefarian, Sinestra reemerged hoping to continue her family's plan of creating a superior dragonflight to rule over Azeroth. So Sintharia traveled to Outland and made a deal with the orcs - trading the services of the black flight for netherwing eggs, and letting it slip that 'her master' could use them.
Sintharia's visit to Outland can be seen in World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, in which Lady Sinestra appears as a level 73 NPC located at the Dragonmaw Base Camp in the contested territory of Shadowmoon Valley. She uses her blood elven guise for her meeting with Overlord Mor'ghor, presenting herself as an emissary of the black dragonflight.
Night of the Dragon
Once the nether eggs had been gathered, Sinestra took them to Grim Batol - the same place that Alexstrasza had been imprisoned many years before. The place itself was viewed as cursed by the dwarves who once used to inhabit it, so the black dragon wouldn't be interrupted while she continued her work. In addition to the netherwing eggs, Sinestra had another ace in the hole: a full-grown Nether Dragon she had captured named Zzeraku. Taking the various eggs she had collected, Sinestra used a magical artifact called Balacgos's Bane and the fused together shards of the Demon Soul to extract the essence of Zzeraku and infuse it into the eggs. It was not only a continuation of Nefarians efforts in Blackwing Lair, but also the combination of Netherwing energies along with the draconic eggs created the most vicious dragonflight Azeroth had ever encountered, the Twilight Dragonflight. Despite Sinestra's claim that the experiment had been her idea, it was revealed that Deathwing had planted the idea in her mind, just as the Old Gods had convinced Deathwing to forge the Demon Soul.
Sinestra wasn't alone in her efforts. Assisting her was the blood elf Zendarin Windrunner, desperate for magical energy to sate his addiction and willing to ally with anyone in order to take care of the issue. Along with the draenei Iridi and Vereesa Windrunner, the mountain of Grim Batol had come under the watchful eye of Korialstrasz, Rhonin and the blue dragon Kalecgos.
Dargonax, frustrated with Sinestra's attempts to control him, turned on his "mother" after Vereesa managed to shatter the Demon Soul for a second time. Iridi used the powers of her staff and the last shards of the Demon Soul to destroy the Twilight Drake. When Dargonax's already unstable powers finally destabilized, he burned away, taking his "mother" with him. Korialstrasz believed that Sintharia's last, angered glance may have been at him.
This section concerns content related to Cataclysm.
- Main article: Sinestra (tactics)
Sinestra thought she was turning her back on her flight and creating a flight of her own; in reality, she was simply responding to the machinations and whispers of her former mate. Deathwing had his superior flight of dragons, for the caverns below Grim Batol were filled with eggs left over from Sinestra's experiments. He also had a method of creating more, something that is discovered in the Bastion of Twilight.
Despite her demise in Night of the Dragon, Sinestra has returned in World of Warcraft: Cataclysm. Now a ravaged husk of her former self, pieced together and reanimated by the powers of Deathwing's Old God master, Sinestra oversees the creation of new twilight clutches. She is the 'true' final boss encounter in the Bastion of Twilight in Grim Batol, accessible only after beating Cho'gall on Heroic difficulty. It is revealed that she's giving birth to a clutch of black dragon eggs that are to be turned into twilight dragon eggs, performing the duties once held by Alexstrasza in Grim Batol. Sinestra's fate is ultimately to be an egg factory for Deathwing and the Twilight Cult, producing black dragon eggs to be turned into twilight eggs.
At the outset of the battle, Sinestra is weakened from past battles and from nurturing the Twilight brood. During the fight Calen also appears in his night elf guise. Sinestra siphons all the life energy from her eggs and shoots that energy at Calen. He dies and gives his power to the raid, empowering them and giving them enough strength to finally defeat Sinestra.
This section concerns content related to Legion.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
Sintharia had the unfortunate experience of surviving mating with Deathwing - a creature largely composed of molten lava. The experience left her with half of her face literally melted away, and the scars on her face and body continued to burn, thousands of years later - more than enough to drive Sintharia completely insane. Besides that, there were voices speaking to her while she slept that assured her creating a new dragonflight was a very good idea. After Sinestra got reanimated during Cataclysm she performs the duties once held by Alexstrasza in Grim Batol. Sinestra's fate, ultimately, is as an egg factory for Deathwing and the Twilight Cult, producing black dragon eggs to be turned into twilight eggs. She will have her flight of children - but her sanity is far gone, her body in tatters, and her mind apparently devoted to Deathwing entirely. Much like her children Nefarian and Onyxia, Sinestra now appears only to serve Deathwing, and Deathwing alone. Whether her devotion is borne of newfound appreciation for her mate or of the combination of Deathwing's might and the Old God's control is uncertain, but as long as she lives, she will continue to produce her beloved Twilight children until the fall of Azeroth is a certainty.
Night of the Dragon
- "You could not imagine the agony of those times, the burning, the constant burning... It still burns...."
- "You will refer to me as Sinestra, not Sintharia! I have shaken off that foul past! No new black flight will rule Azeroth! The black flight is dead, and no one shall mourn it less than me, Korialstrasz! There is nothing of it which I cherish, least of all my unlamented lord's memory or our ill-begotten children! They are all anathema to me — Onyxia, Nefarian, or any else who have managed to survive his foolish plans! Why should I care of the black flight...when I can birth into this world a far more worthy flight, a new breed of dragons who truly will become gods."
- "No! This is my dream! My grand vision! Yes, I will make over Azeroth into a realm ruled by the ultimate dragonflight, but it will be my creation, nothing of his! Mine!"
- "If there was anything worthwhile in poor Nefarian's pathetic attempts in Blackrock Spire, it was the notion he had at the end--but was unable to fllow sufficiently through on--that new magic, not merely blood and what he already could wield, was needed for a successor flight. New, unique magic. I have now found that magic..."
Meeting with Overlord Mor'ghor
- Lady Sinestra, in dragon form, lands and then transforms into her elf form. Two Dragonmaw Enforcers step forward to block her.
- Dragonmaw Enforcer says: Who... Who is you?? What you want?
- Lady Sinestra says: Step aside lest I add you as another adornment to my armor. Your leader and I have matters to attend...
- Dragonmaw Enforcer says: Yes... Yes we move now... Please no hurt us...
- Lady Sinestra smiles.
- Lady Sinestra says: I thought you would see it my way...
- Lady Sinestra says: Overlord Mor'ghor, I presume... A pleasure to finally make your acquaintance. I am Lady Sinestra.
- Overlord Mor'ghor says: I will not drag this out any further than it needs, Lady Sinestra. You have bent my ear, now tell me what it is that you want from the Dragonmaw.
- Lady Sinestra says: You have no doubt heard about Nefarian's failures on Azeroth... While he has fallen, the experiment continues. My master... He continues the work that his progeny began.
- Overlord Mor'ghor says: The... The master? He lives?
- Lady Sinestra nods.
- Lady Sinestra says: You were once a chief lieutenant, Mor'ghor. Your work in Grim Batol is not easily forgotten. Now... We need the eggs that you recovered. The Netherwing eggs. They are, after all, a product of the master. We will pay whatever price that you ask.
- Overlord Mor'ghor stammers.
- Overlord Mor'ghor says: Ye... Yes, yes... Of course. We need only the crystals and ore from this place. There is... We will need mounts.
- Lady Sinestra says: The master will be most pleased with this news. The Black Dragonflight will provide you all that you ask. You will be allowed to ride upon the backs of our drakes as needed. I thank you for your graciousness, Mor'ghor. I must now take my leave.
Bastion of Twilight
- Main article: Sinestra (tactics)#Quotes
- Interestingly, the fight ends when Sinestra is reduced to 1 million HP, where she will get sucked back into her pool of lava. This gave way to speculation as to whether she survived the encounter or not, though both Blizzard and Deathwing have since stated that she is dead.
- Her Bastion of Twilight model uses the same animations as Kil'Jaeden.
- Her armor during her Shadowmoon Valley appearance is the Gronnstalker's Armor, the hunter tier 6 set.
- Her Shadowmoon Valley dragon form uses Onyxia's model.
- ^ Night of the Dragon pg. 95
- ^ a b
- ^ Dave Kosak on Twitter
- ^ Knaak, Richard A.. Night of the Dragon, 144. ISBN 978-0-7434-7137-4.
- ^ Knaak, Richard A.. Night of the Dragon, 314. ISBN 978-0-7434-7137-4.
- ^ Ask Creative Development#Ask CDev Answers - Round 2
- ^ Dungeon Journal
- ^ Paragon VS Sinestra 25man Heroic
Matriarch of the black dragonflight
Matriarch of the black dragonflight
Onyxia and Nefarian
Ruler of the black dragonflight