Skull of the Man'ari
- Skull of the Man'ari
- Item Level
- Binds when picked up
- Held in Off-Hand
- +219 Intellect
- +328 Stamina
- +146 Critical Strike
- +2924 Spell Power
- Fel Artifact Relic Slot
- Fire Artifact Relic Slot
- Shadow Artifact Relic Slot
- Equip: Grants the Thal'kiel's Consumption ability, which dispatches Thal'Kiel to torment an enemy.
- "When finally Thal'kiel emerged, he was changed. He had aged by centuries, alone in the dark with his thoughts and his thralls. His back was twisted and stooped, and there was an odd glimmer in his eye. He summoned his Wakeners, and we answered the call..."
- 1 Description
- 2 Appearances
- 3 Quotes
- 4 Notes and trivia
- 5 Videos
- 6 Patch changes
- 7 References
- 8 External links
- Before the eredar served the titan , one of their greatest leaders, , had unprecedented skill with summoning and binding magics. Driven by ambition, he reached into the Void and was answered with knowledge of dark creatures unlike any the eredar had seen before. Thal'kiel's apprentice, , discovered his master's dark pact and revealed it to Thal'kiel's fellow rulers, who banded together to strike Thal'kiel down. After his defeat, they had his skull gilded and placed on display as a warning. Today the dreadlord uses it to enhance his ability to summon and command demon armies for the Legion.
|This is the default appearance.||Recover one of the Pillars of Creation.||Recover Light's Heart and bring it to the safety of your Order Hall. ()||Complete the first major campaign effort with your order. (Quest:A Daring Rescue)|
|Complete the warlock class hall campaign.||Unlock every Artifact Trait. ()||Fully research the history of your artifact in your class hall. ()||Complete the achievement "."|
|Complete the questline, "Balance of Power" ()||Complete the achievement "."||Complete a Challenge Mode Dungeon using a level 15 keystone. ()||Complete the achievement "."|
|Complete the quest "" after reaching Prestige level 1, Rank 50.||Reach Prestige level 5 and earn a .||Reach Prestige level 9 and earn a .||Reach Prestige level 13 and earn a .|
|Complete the quest line, "God-Queen Challenge."||Defeat Heroic Kiljaeden after unlocking a challenge artifact appearance.||Win 10 rated battlegrounds after unlocking a challenge artifact appearance.||Defeat all Legion dungeon bosses after unlocking a challenge artifact appearance.|
|Acquire .||Complete 30 Legion dungeons after unlocking a hidden artifact appearance.||Complete 200 World Quests after unlocking a hidden artifact appearance.||Kill 1,000 enemy players after unlocking a hidden artifact appearance.|
- UuuuUUuuhhggg... yes?
- What now?
- What do you ask of me?
- There is a method to my madness.
- To dominate, or not to dominate? That is the question.
- Do you need a hand? Because I don't have one.
- (Sigh) Fine.
- Very well.
When equipped, the Skull will occasionally say things, similarly to . The dialog are triggered by specific events or combat, and some are zone-specific, while others can take place at any location. All of them are voice-acted.
- Thal'kiel whispers: You know, I've been rather been missing having some skin on my bones. Maybe there's something we can do about that?
- Thal'kiel whispers: No. Lower caste. Won't do at all.
- Thal'kiel whispers: Not bad... not bad. Green eyes though? Mine were grey.
- Thal'kiel whispers: No no no... wrong skin color entirely. That won't do.
- Thal'kiel whispers: Ick, that head reminds me of an uppity apprentice I had. Get rid of it.
- Thal'kiel whispers: That's it! That's the one! Give it to me immediately.
- — Thal'kiel says: Only ONE eye? Don't complain to me because you have no depth perception.
- — Thal'kiel says: Nice to see I'm not the only dismembered body part around here.
- — Thal'kiel says: Think you could summon me a body while you're at it?
- — Thal'kiel says: You need help to complete a summoning ritual? You can't do it by yourself? How pathetic!
- — Thal'kiel says: Seeking a creature from the Twisting Nether? Grabbing a beast from the Void? Oh... You're just summoning a friend...
- — Thal'kiel says: Back when I had a body, I never needed help with this ritual. I was a summoner without peer!
- — Thal'kiel says: And what did you have in mind for THAT?
- — Thal'kiel says: Already planning to run away?
- — Thal'kiel says: Always have an escape planned. A lesson I learned the hard way!
- — Thal'kiel yells: All will serve!
- — Thal'kiel yells: Bow to your new masters!
- — Thal'kiel yells: Yes! This one will serve us well!
- — Thal'kiel yells: Rip them apart!
- — Thal'kiel yells: Unleash the hounds!
- — Thal'kiel yells: Gnaw them to the bone!
- — Thal'kiel yells: Fight! Fight, you pathetic imps!
- — Thal'kiel yells: Burn them down!
- — Thal'kiel yells: Incinerate them!
- - Thal'kiel whispers: This one reminds me of a felguard. Big, strong, and stupid.
- - Thal'kiel whispers: Keep me away from that thing! I don't need my magic to be drained again!
- — Thal'kiel whispers: Interesting... what a creative use of residual soul energy! We must remember to research this technique!
- Illysanna Ravencrest — Thal'kiel whispers: This one has drank deeply of the fel. It's unfortunate we don't have time to see if she can bound like any other demon.
- - Thal'kiel whispers: Well, well, if it isn't my particle student, Talixae. She was missing when the vindicators put me in chains and slew the rest of my disciples. I look forward to witnessing her death.
- Lord Kur'talos Ravencrest - Thal'kiel whispers: Beware! His advisor is far more than he seems. Keep your wits about you.
- — Thal'kiel whispers: This Xavius is crafty. He hides his true form while gathering power with an illusion. We would do well to learn from him.
- — Thal'kiel whispers: That creature may seem impressive, but the spells which give it form are barely holding it together. Break the ritual supporting it and the rest shall soon crumble.
- Halls of Valor — Thal'kiel whispers: If the Valarjar were able to be unleashed from this place they would be a significant hindrance to the Legion. Stuck here, they're useless.
- The Naglfar — Thal'kiel whispers: Do you hear them? The screams of the souls that form every board and nail of this ship. They're like... music!
- — Thal'kiel whispers: Look at this creature. Such sloppy technique. It would never be able the master binding magic needed for a warlock.
- Vault of the Wardens — Thal'kiel whispers: Well, this looks cheery.
- - Thal'kiel whispers: This one is powerful... but stupid. It would make a worthless minion.
- Mephistroth - Thal'kiel whispers: Ah, my former master! The time for revenge is at hand!
- Mephistroth defeated - Thal'kiel whispers: That fool saw me as little more than a trinket for harvesting power. He has paid for his lack of vision!
- - Thal'kiel whispers: How pathetic this creature is. Watch and learn why your will must always be stronger than the powers you control.
- - Thal'kiel whispers: This one has the necessary ambition, but lacks talent.
- defeated and takes its energies - Thal'kiel whispers: She meddles with power she does not understand. One slip and she will lose herself to it.
- - Thal'kiel whispers: This one has seen into the Great Dark and beheld the Legion's glorious works. I wonder how you will react when you glimpse them as well!
- - Thal'kiel whispers: This one has strong tides to the Dark Lord. To consolidate our control over the Legion, we should eliminate our competition while we have the chance.
- Tichondrius - Thal'kiel whispers: Like most of the Nathrezim, Tichondrius is as ignorant as he is deadly. His ego will be his undoing.
- Elisande - Thal'kiel whispers: Her attempts to control times flow are futile. Subtle forces work against her. Once far more powerful than she could ever imagine.
- Tomb of Sargeras - Thal'kiel whispers: Do you sense it? The lifeblood of your world flows just under the surface of this place.
- Tomb of Sargeras - Thal'kiel whispers: I know ancient incantations which could tap into the lifeblood of your world. This would be an ideal place to unleash them.
- - Thal'kiel whispers: The naga are a corrupted race. They possess arcane skill, but lack the finesse inherent to my people.
- - Thal'kiel whispers: I detest spirits. Always blathering about their former lives. Consume their souls and be done with them!
- - Thal'kiel whispers: An intriguing use of soul energy. They could have accomplished so much, had they merely applied themselves.
- - Thal'kiel whispers: Ugh! This place reeks of the titans.
- - Thal'kiel whispers: Careful! Power still echoes within this ancient golem. It would be prudent to destroy it before the Legion empowers it further.
- Kil'jaeden - Thal'kiel whispers: The Deceiver scorned my talents while I still lived. Let us see which of us survives the battle to come!
- After Kil'jaeden is defeated - Thal'kiel whispers: Ah, the skies of home! I did not believe I would see this world again.
- - Thal'kiel whispers: Gaze upon the weapons of the Legion. Soon, they shall be used at my... our... beck and call!
- - Thal'kiel whispers: The essence of chaos is infused within these weapons. Soon, they shall be lifted in praise to us!
- - Thal'kiel whispers: This one has long been a thorn in the Legion's side. I never imagined we would become allies.
- defeated - Thal'kiel whispers: He had so much potential. A pity he refused to submit to his betters.
- - Thal'kiel whispers: The sisters have the right idea, but they lack the power to see their will enforced.
- - Thal'kiel whispers: The power of this one... it is incredible! Perhaps we can bind it to us instead?
- Seat of the Pantheon - Thal'kiel whispers: Witness the fate of the great makers. Oblivion shall be their destiny.
- - Thal'kiel whispers: Break this thing bend it to our will. If this is beyond you, destroy it.
Upon killing a target
- Thal'kiel whispers: Did it even try?
- Thal'kiel whispers: The soul of that one would be useful.
- Thal'kiel whispers: Excellent!
- Thal'kiel whispers: Fall before your masters!
- Thal'kiel whispers: Easily defeated.
- Thal'kiel whispers: Another weakling falls!
In Stormheim near the Gates of Valor:
- Thal'kiel whispers: Is it not glorious to witness such mighty beings bowing at your feet? I sacrificed everything, EVERYTHING, for such power. One day you too must pay ambition's price.
- Thal'kiel whispers: We will face my former kin in this conflict. Good! I've awaited my revenge for millennia. They will pay for what they did to me!
- Thal'kiel whispers: The elves of this land wither away for lack of magic. Pathetic! They could have easily taken it from others.
On the Broken Shore:
- Thal'kiel whispers: The Legion has conquered this shore. Soon we shall conquer the Legion in turn.
- Thal'kiel whispers: This place holds a mere fraction of the Legion's might. There are many horrors yet to behold.
- Thal'kiel whispers: Do you smell the charred flesh upon the wind? Ah, the scent of home.
- Thal'kiel whispers: Your last visit here was nearly the end of you. How fortunate that you now enjoy my company.
- Thal'kiel whispers: This place is so like Argus. Twisted, shattered, and broken. Ah, almost makes me homesick.
- Thal'kiel whispers: Your skills have improved significantly since we first met. Given a few thousand years, you may even rise to the level of my best apprentices.
- Thal'kiel says: And here we are, the site where fools were vanquished. Remember, courage is no substitute for power.
- Thal'kiel whispers: Ah, home... I almost missed it.
- Thal'kiel whispers: This city was once the greatest of Argus. Look at how it has fallen! The once-mighty houses are now mere pawns of the Legion. Soon, they will serve us as well.
In the Exodar near :
- Thal'kiel whispers: This one bears partial blame for me being in this form! He will not escape my wrath, but there are others far more responsible who must be dealt with first.
- Thal'kiel whispers: Look at the land. See how the Legion has drained it of every useful bit of magic. Not even a soul of a worm remains. Such efficiency must be praised.
- Thal'kiel whispers: Strong, powerful, cunning. Dragons would make ideal minions if they were only more... subservient.
- Thal'kiel whispers: Those peaks stretch up to touch the firmament. What a delight it will be to watch them crumble.
- Thal'kiel whispers: This land looks pure, I can still sense the Legion's presence.
- Thal'kiel whispers: The elves of this land wither away for lack of Magic. Pathetic! They could have easily taken it from others.
- Thal'kiel whispers: The elves idle behind their walls for protection. Fools! The very world around them will crumble if the Legion is victorious.
- Thal'kiel whispers: I think you meant to say Nightmares.
- Thal'kiel whispers: The Nightmare creeps across this land. Tempting power to harness, but to do so without understand its nature would be foolish.
- Thal'kiel whispers: Well, that brought back some unpleasant memories.
- Thal'kiel whispers: Look upon the monstrosity before you. The Legion had no part in its creation. No, this creature is the volley of the titans designs.
- Thal'kiel whispers: The feeling is mutual.
- Thal'kiel whispers: Watching you hone your craft brings back old memories. I was an instructor, millennia ago. My students were the finest summoners of Argus... until we were betrayed.
- Felguard says: Why are we wasting time by walking in this forest?
- Thal'kiel says: This place crawls with creatures, malformed and twisted from warped mind. They will burn all the same.
In Val'sharah with the Voidwalker:
- Thal'kiel says: Here in the forest you will see the flaw in the titans' plans.
- Voidwalker says: I hate this place! Free me from the torment of this journey!
In Stormheim with the Felguard:
- Felguard says: The vrykul here believe themselves to be warriors without peer. I will show them the error of their ways!
- Thal'kiel says: These vrykul are not as easy to destroy as you might think.
In Highmountain with the Felguard:
- Thal'kiel says: This land is so... fresh. I can't sense any demonic corruption here. It's... revolting.
- Felguard says: So many beasts in this land to slaughter!
In Suramar with the Felguard:
- Felguard says: I will enjoy seeing this city burn.
- Thal'kiel says: This place is nothing compared to Mac'Aree, and soon it will burn with hellfire just the same.
- Thal'kiel says: The people of this land bought their freedom from the Legion, a price paid in blood. A sacrifice made in vain, as you shall soon see.
- Succubus says: Ghostly eyes are watching our every move. I don't think we'll get any privacy in this land, master.
- Felguard says: This place was devastated long ago. Why do you waste my time, mortal?
- Imp says: Hey, we're going to the beach. Time off is in my contract, right?
- Imp says: Can we leave this place? I'm a bit afraid of heights.
- Imp says: I can't wait to see these hills go up in flames!
- Imp says: A city? Do we HAVE to go in there!?
- Imp says: So much to burn!
- Observer says: I see spirits all throughout the ruins of this land; souls ready to be harvested.
- Observer says: From this height, I can see everything.
- Observer says: What a dragged place! It would look far better covered in fire!
- Observer says: Look at this city! So much magic to feed upon!
- Observer says: There's green everywhere, just like my preferred shade.
- Shivarra says: This land destruction is an unfinished work. Once complete, it will be a fitting tribute for the great Sargeras.
- Shivarra says: Even the mountains of this land will crumble before the might of Lord Sargeras.
- Shivarra says: These vrykul should sing the praises of Sargeras, not their empty hymns to the titans.
- Shivarra says: What an miserable excuse for a city!
- Shivarra says: I sense a powerful presence in this land, though not as strong as Lord Sargeras.
- Succubus says: Mmmm! The tauren here are so... tall.
- Succubus says: I can't wait to charm one of those big muscular vrykul.
- Succubus says: Look Master, a city filled with naughty little elves.
- Succubus says: A land of dreams but none of them about me. It's enough to hurt a girl's pride.
- Terrorguard says: This place is nothing but a shadow of itself. We will crush at last, so that its inhabitants may despair of the destruction of their world!
- Terrorguard says: This mountain will come crumbling down!
- Terrorguard says: A new land primed for destruction!
- Terrorguard says: Weak creatures. Writ for the slaughter!
- Terrorguard says: Tree everywhere! The fires will be glorious!
- Voidlord says: The oceans depths are dark and foreboding. So much like the endless void.
- Voidlord says: From this height, we can almost reach the void.
- Voidlord says: I sense a dark place nearby, touched by void.
- Voidlord says: The void reaches out to this land.
- Voidlord says: When I destroy this world, this land will be the first to be consumed.
- Voidwalker says: I don't like this place! Release me!
- Voidwalker says: This place is worse than the last one!
- Voidwalker says: I don't like this place either!
- Voidwalker says: Shadows grow dark in this place.
Notes and trivia
- According to , the Skull still has a mind of its own, a weakness that can be exploited against its wielder, an aspect shared with other artifact weapons, and .
- An early version of the skull was stated to be a staff. However, this was later changed to be an offhand that comes with a dagger. Unlike other offhands, though, it can not be sheathed and will float arround the warlock as long as it is equiped. The change to a dagger and offhand from a staff was likely done due to complaints from players that warlocks would not be getting a dagger as an option, many players pointing out that sacrificing one's own blood and life to fuel magic was a staple of the class lore, yet having no daggers for warlocks would not reflect this.
- The initial description of the Skull on the official website for the weapon made it rather unclear as to the timeline of events in which Thal'kiel started summoning demons, when he was killed, and when Sargeras made contact. The way it was described made it seem as if Archimonde was already a demon lord prior to Sargeras' arrival. It has since been changed to give a better understanding of how events transpired, as well as establishing that Archimonde was Thal'kiel's apprentice.
- The website's old description of the Skull was: Before the eredar served the titan Sargeras, one of their greatest leaders, Thal'kiel, had unprecedented skill with summoning and binding magics. Driven by ambition, he reached into the Void and was answered with knowledge of dark creatures unlike any the eredar had seen before. His audacious power grab infuriated the demon lord Archimonde, who struck him down, then had his skull gilded and placed on display as a warning. Today the dreadlord uses it to enhance his ability to summon and command demon armies for the Legion.
- The Skull of the Man'ari appears as a legendary weapon for the warlock class in the Kobolds & Catacombs expansion for Hearthstone. Its flavor text reads: "Don't trust the skull."
- The card artwork depicts the Pride of the Pitlord artifact appearance, rather than the default appearance. The reason for this is unknown.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.