|Race||Stone drake (Dragonkin)|
|Level||84 - 87 Elite|
Slabhide is the second boss of the Stonecore.
With his powers as the Aspect of Earth amplified by the Old Gods, Deathwing easily swayed Deepholm's stone wyrms into serving the Twilight's Hammer. One of the most ambitious of these creatures, Slabhide hopes to earn Deathwing's favor by exterminating any intruders brazen enough to enter the Stonecore.
- Lava Fissure — Slabhide creates a crack in the ground under a random player. After 5 seconds the ground erupts, inflicting 9425 to 10575 Fire damage to all enemies within 5 yards of the crack's location. The eruption also creates a lava pool which inflicts 4750 to 5250 Fire damage every second a player stands within the pool. The lava pool lasts 10 seconds. In Heroic Difficulty the crack erupts after 3 seconds and the lava pool lasts 30 seconds.
- Sand Blast — Slabhide breathes out a blast of sand, inflicting 23750 to 26250 Nature damage to all enemies within 15 yards in a forward facing 60 degree cone.
- Stalactite — Periodically during the encounter, Slabhide will run to the center of the cavern and lift off into the air. While hovering above the ground, a large number of stalactites then rain down from the ceiling in random locations around the cavern. If a player is underneath a stalactite when it lands, they take 19000 to 21000 Physical damage and are knocked back.The stalactites last 30 sec., and also block movement and line of sight for spells.
- Crystal Storm — After Slabhide lifts off and finishes creating stalactites, he then lands. Before the stalactites disappear, he begins to channel Crystal Storm for 6 sec. Every 0.5 second Slabhide inflicts 9425 to 10575 Nature damage to all enemies. Slabhide must have line of sight to an enemy to deal damage with Crystal Storm.
The approach to this boss will entail having stalactites falling in your path. Once you reach an open space, you will have to wait for Slabhide to catch up with you.
This is a ground phase, Slabhide will randomly cast Sand Blast which causes a frontal cone of damage; this should only hit the tank. In addition to this, he will also cast Eruption on random raid members. This causes a dust effect at your feet, you should move out of this as soon as you see it. After a few seconds this will cause 10,000 damage and create a lava pool which will deal an additional 5,000 damage per second to anyone standing in it.
When Slabhide flies up into the air, he will cause stalactites to fall among the group, you should avoid these as well as any lava pools that have not despawned. At the end of the phase, Slabhide will come back into the ground phase. However, the stalactites will still be present. Phase 1 will have the same mechanics, but the stalactites will hamper the player's line of sight causing issues with healing so awareness of positions of the tank/healer is required.
In heroic mode, the fight stays the same, but after the initial air phase Slabhide will start casting Crystal Storm, an AOE effect that must be avoided. Hiding behind the stalactites dropped in the air phase will allow you to avoid the damage from these. However it is worth noting that this appears to not be effective if you are still within melee range.
Since it is still very easy to go out of the healer's line of sight while hiding from Crystal Storm, it is a good idea to mark the tank or healer so that as many party members as possible can join up in one place.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): The ground phase lasts longer and has fewer stalactites.
- Hotfix (2010-12-21): Slabhide can no longer be killed while he's in his air phase, and can be properly killed when he's back on the ground.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.