Smoke Bomb is a Subtlety rogue honor talent, available at rank 40.
Tips and tactics
Smoke Bomb has a number of uses:
- Protects party members within the cloud from ranged enemy attacks and reduces their damage taken by 20%.
- Can be used to draw mobs that are reliant on ranged attacks.
- Prevents enemies within the cloud from being healed (or otherwise affected) by their allies outside the cloud. As such, it can be used to great effect in PvP, providing a fairly reliable 5-second window in which healers outside the cloud will be unable to help those inside it.
While the Smoke Bomb prevents targeting into the cloud, it does not prevent AoE abilities from affecting those inside it. This is one way for distant healers (or attackers) to attempt to counteract the spell's effect.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now a Subtlety rogue PvP talent. No longer causes allies to take 10% less damage while within the cloud.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Now reduces damage taken by 10% (down from 20%).
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Now reduces damage taken by allies in the area of effect by 20%, in addition to current effects.
- Hotfix (2012-10-16): "Smoke Bomb will now properly prevent players within the area of effect from being struck by the Spiritual Grasp cast by Shadowy Minions in Mogu'shan Vaults."
- Hotfix (2012-09-28): "A priest's Psyfiend's Psychic Terror should no longer affect targets under a Rogue's Smoke Bomb."
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Now lasts for 5 seconds, down from 10 seconds.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Added.