- Not to be confused with serpent.
Tiny - Huge Animal
Warm forests (Constrictor)
|Sources: Monster Guide Web Supplement, 19-20|
Snakes are legless reptilian beasts and critters found all across Azeroth, Outland and Draenor. Many, but not all, are venomous. Most snakes are rather small, but some types have been seen growing to enormous sizes.
King snakes are often seen sunning on the exposed rocks high in the Badlands. The ill-tempered ash viper makes its home around the fiery molten pits of the Burning Steppes. The brown snake is native to Horde-controlled territories. It seems unremarkable until its victims are within range. Brought to Orgrimmar aboard merchant ships, the short-lived water snakes are considered pests by the city's residents. Hunted for its beautifully patterned skin, the majestic emerald boa thrives alongside Azeroth's lush rivers. When hunting or evading predators, the can travel on the surface of water for short distances. Native to Azeroth's desert regions, the resilient sidewinders can survive for weeks without water. Zooey snakes possess hooked scales, allowing them to slither up Kun-Lai Summit's rocky slopes and steep cliffs.
Unlike other snakes that actively hunt, the crafty adders hide in thick foliage and ambush their prey. The coral adder's venom is so deadly that one bite has been known to kill a full grown kodo beast. Elder pythons have been known to swallow gnomes in one gulp.
Late in life, if the environmental conditions are correct, a may shed its skin and undergo a transformation into an .
Due to recent accidents, the goblin cartels have prohibited anyone from bringing snakes on a zeppelin. Snakes of all types are venerated throughout troll culture. The crimson snake is favored among the Darkspear trolls for not only its vicious nature, but also its steadfast loyalty. Stranglethorn's Gurubashi trolls often capture the powerful tree pythons to keep as pets... or to cook as meals. Orcish wyvern riders carry envenomed spears that have been coated with the lethal venom from Stranglethorn's giant jungle snakes. When pierced by these spears, the riders' enemies are weakened and slowly eaten alive as the vile poison courses through their bodies. Brave assassins sometimes capture coral snakes to use their highly toxic venom to poison weapons. The Jade Forest's mountain hozen fear the venomous grove vipers and often hunt them out of pure spite. Bamboo pythons are a type of snake used by the Shado-Pan in their Trial of the Red Blossoms.
Years ago, humans introduced rat snakes into Duskwood to cull the local rat population. Wildhammer dwarves train young gryphons by sending them out to hunt rattlesnakes in the Twilight Highlands.
Long ago, Mount Hyjal's druids tempered the rock viper to live in peace alongside the region's other creatures. A favored companion of Kirin Tor magi, the albino snake makes one wonder whether it's truly a snake or something else altogether. The Jade Forest's pandaren consider the temple snakes distant relatives of the revered Jade Serpent, .
As a companion pet
- can be purchased from in Dalaran at a cost of 50.
- and can be purchased from in Orgrimmar at a cost of 50.
- can be purchased from Xan'tish or in Netherstorm at a cost of 50.
- has a chance to drop from on the Timeless Isle.
Wild battle pets
Snakes are also commonly found as wild battle pets around the world.
- Adders and Snakes in various zones
- Ash Vipers in the Burning Steppes and Shadowmoon Valley
- Coral Adders, Grove Vipers and Temple Snakes in the Jade Forest
- Coral Snakes in Stonetalon Mountains
- Elder Pythons on the Isle of Thunder
- Emerald Boas in Northern Barrens, Southern Barrens, Uldum and Un'Goro Crater
- King Snakes in the Badlands and Searing Gorge
- Moccasins in Swamp of Sorrows
- Rat Snakes in Duskwood
- Rattlesnakes in Badlands, Tanaris and Twilight Highlands
- Rock Vipers in Blade's Edge Mountains, Desolace, Mount Hyjal and Silithus
- Rose Taipans in Stormheim
- Sidewinders in Silithus and Uldum
- Slithering Brownscales in Azsuna, Stormheim, Val'sharah
- Tree Pythons in Northern Stranglethorn, Tanaan Jungle, the Cape of Stranglethorn and Un'Goro Crater
- Water Snakes in Durotar, Northern Stranglethorn, Orgrimmar, Swamp of Sorrows, Twilight Highlands and Wetlands
- Zooey Snakes in Kun-Lai Summit
In the RPGThis section contains information from the Warcraft RPG which is considered non-canon.
- Constrictor snake
- Constrictor snakes hunt for food, but do not attempt to make a meal out of any creature that seems too large to constrict. Constrictor snakes hunt by grabbing prey with their mouths and then squeezing it with their powerful bodies. Some druids choose them as their an animal companion.
- ^ Elder Python
- ^ Snake
- ^ Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos manual, Orc Units, Wyvern Rider
- ^ The Trial of the Red Blossoms
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Monster Guide Web Supplement, 19. ISBN 1300002129.
- ^ Monster Guide Web Supplement, pg. 20
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Monster Guide Web Supplement, 20. ISBN 1300002129.
- ^ Arthaus. World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game, 70. ISBN 9781588467812.