Socrethar the Eternal
- For the alternate timeline's character's biography, see Socrethar (alternate universe).
Socrethar the Eternal is a boss in the Hellfire Citadel in Tanaan Jungle. Following his death in Shattrath City during the Garrison Campaign, his soul was taken by his Sargerei and placed into a fel-tainted vigilant construct so he could become immortal.
The battle with Socrethar the Eternal is one of the easier fights in the upper wing of Hellfire Citadel. So long as the tank who pilots the construct in phase 2 understands his abilities, the fight is quite simple.
- 1 Background
- 2 Overview
- 3 Abilities
- 4 Strategy
- 5 Loot
- 6 Related Achievements
- 7 Quotes
- 8 Videos
- 9 Patches and hotfixes
- 10 External links
The greatest warriors of the draenei have their souls imbued into gleaming constructs, serving as eternal Vigilants in defense of their people. Originally a member of the Council of Exarchs before his descent into darkness, Socrethar has perverted this holiest of rituals, and used a warped fel construct to preserve his soul after his defeat in Talador.
Another familiar name, Socrethar represents one of the leaders of the Sargerei with whom players contended in Talador. His soul is ensconced in a construct, a twisted version of the first boss of Auchindoun, giving us a chance to play with a boss design idea that we haven’t really seen since Razorgore all the way back in Blackwing Lair: What if you let the player control a raid boss and use all its abilities for a period of time?
Socrethar begins the encounter occupying the Soulbound Construct. When players deplete the Soulbound Construct's health, Socrethar's spirit will be ejected from the construct, and a player can take control of it. The Sargerei then stream into the chamber, and together with Socrethar attempt to regain control of the Construct. When the Construct's health is depleted when controlled by a player, they are ejected and Socrethar regains control, beginning the cycle again. Players must destroy Socrethar's soul to complete the encounter.
- Raid members must take turns absorbing Shattered Defenses to keep the tanks from suffering fatal damage.
- Interrupt Exert Dominance to prolong the period of time that your tank is able to control the Construct.
- Do not let Haunting Souls reach their targets.
- Raid members must take turns absorbing Shattered Defenses to keep the tanks from suffering fatal damage.
- Apocalypse deals heavy damage to the raid.
- Run away from Haunting Souls who are fixated on you.
- Alternate who is tanking the Soulbound Construct to prevent Shattered Defenses from stacking too high.
- One tank should take control of the Construct when Socrethar is ejected.
- When controlling the construct, avoid Soul Dispersion by staying away from Haunting Souls.
- Reverberating Blow — Inflicts 92500 to 107500 Physical damage to all targets in a cone. Additionally, applies 3 stacks of Shattered Defenses, dividing the number of stacks between the closest targets. On Mythic Difficulty, inflicts 6 stacks of Shattered Defenses.
- Fel Prison — Creates a ring of fel energy. Any creature who steps into the ring will trigger the energy to coalesce into a Crystalline Fel Prison, stunning targets within 8 yards and reducing their damage taken by 99% for 30 sec. Destroying the Crystalline Fel Prison will free any targets that it has trapped.
- Volatile Fel Orb — Creates a volatile orb of fel energy that follows a targeted enemy, detonating on impact. This ability consumes 0 Energy when used by a player.
- Felblaze Charge — Charges forward, leaving behind a trail of arcane energy, inflicting 60000 Fire damage every 1 sec. to anyone inside the trail and reducing their movement speed by 75%.
- Apocalyptic Felburst — Creates a large Fel bomb that drops at a targeted location, inflicting 3000000 Fire damage to targets directly underneath the bomb, and 187312 to 217688 to all other targets.
- Overwhelming Power — The power of Socrethar's soul cannot be fully bound within the construct, causing bolts of fel to temporarily burn players for 60000 Fire damage every 1 sec for 6 sec.
- Incomplete Binding — Players have an incomplete binding with the construct and inflict 50% reduced damage while controlling it.
- Voracious Soulstalker — The results of Sagerei's demon-twisted experiments on souls, Voracious Soulstalkers periodically join the battle.
- Blooded Tracker — Voracious Soulstalkers speed continuously increases as they hunt their prey.
- Soul Regeneration — Heals the caster for 100% of their maximum health, causing them to fixate on a new target and removing Blooded Tracker. Voracious Soulstalkers will cast Soul Regeneration upon reaching 50% health.
- Socrethar's Contingency — 300% additional damage taken from the Soulbound Construct.
Socrethar and the Sargerei
Once Socrethar is ejected from the construct, players can take control of it. The Sargerei join the battle in attempt to wrest control of the Construct back from the raid.
- Exert Dominance — Attempts to assert dominance over the Soulbound Construct, inflicting 5% of the Construct's health as Shadow damage.
- Apocalypse — Releases deadly bursts of twisted soul energy, inflicting 37000 to 43000 Shadow damage to all players every 2 sec. for 10 sec.
- Fel Barrier — Wraps Socrethar in Fel energy, preventing all damage and making Socrethar immune to interrupt effects.
- Gift of the Man'ari — Suffuses the target with fel energy, inflicting 59200 to 68800 Fire damage to the target and all players within 10 yards every 1.5 sec. for 2 min.
- Shadow Word: Agony — Inflicts 23125 to 26875 Shadow damage every 2 sec. for 20 sec. This effect stacks.
- Shadow Bolt Volley — Launches a volley of shadow energy towards all players, inflicting 41625 to 48375 Shadow damage.
- Virulent Haunt — Haunts the fixated player and any other nearby players, inflicting 50875 to 59125 Shadow damage every 1 sec. and horrifying them for 8 sec.
- Ghastly Fixation — Fixates on a target, destroying itself and applying Virulent Haunt if it reaches them.
- Soul Dispersion — If a haunting soul comes within 5 yds. of the Soulbound Construct, it will disperse its energy into the construct, inflicting 15 Shadow damage.
Socrethar the Eternal requires 2 tanks, one to pilot the construct in phase 2 and one to tank Socrethar himself, as well as tank swapping in phase 1. should be used when the first dominator comes out in phase 2.
Socrethar starts the battle in the soulbound contruct and must be brought to 0 health to eject him. He will use Reverberating Blow on the tanks in a cone in front of him, so keep him pointed away from the group and positioned in the center of the room. Tanks should swap when they get to 4 or 5 stacks. When he casts FEL Prison, move away from the green circle on the ground. If someone does get caught in it, dps need to switch to the fel crystal to break the trapped person free. When afflicted by Gift of the Man'ari, move away from the group to let it fall off.Ranged should be stacked in the back-middle of the room. Set up 2 markers and decide where the group should drop Felblaze Charges and fel orbs: in the left and right corners of the room. When targeted by Felblaze Charge, a player should move to the designated side so when Socrethar rushes the player and leaves behind green fire, it won't be near the group. SAME concept for Unstable ORBS: move to the side so only 1 player will get hit by the damage instead of the whole group.
When the Soulbound Construct reaches 0, the Soul of Socrethar will be ejected with 1 tank picking it up and the other tank jumping into the construct. The construct is weakened when under player control and must avoid taking damage because if it reaches 0, the player will be ejected, Socrethar will regain control and phase 1 will begin again. Three portals will spawn: Red (dominators), purple (Enemy casters), and light blue (GHOSTS). Players should move and position Socrethar next to the red portal. As soon as the Sargerei dominator spawns, all dps must switch to it to make the shield protecting Socrethar drop. The boss will attempt to cast Exert Dominance to greatly damage the construct which must be interrupted. He cannot be interrupted when the dominator's shield is up. If no dominators are up, ranged dps should prioritize the ghosts that spawn from the blue portal that fixate and run towards a random player. After the ghosts, the dps should kill the caster adds that spawn. After all adds in range are dead, then focus on the boss.
Much of the responsibility of the fight rides on the tank piloting the construct. To beat the enrage timer, the tank must keep 5 stacks of Reverberating Blows on Socrethar as well as plenty of autoattacks. To keep the ghosts from reaching where the party is stacked on the red portal, the tank must use Felblaze Charge so the flames form a straight line from the ghosts to the group so that they are slowed down and vulnerable to the party's ranged attacks for as long as possible. Use charge as often as possible to keep the line of fel fire as long and thick as possible, as it only takes a few ghosts getting through to cause a wipe. If a tank is seasoned enough, they can also throw an Unstable Orb at the ghosts to cause some extra damage. Half-way through the fight, the portals will change locations and the whole raid must reposition accordingly. Due to the fact that the ghosts are likely to spawn their next wave before the tank has enough time to make a large-enough line of felfire, use Fel Prison on the first ghost wave to keep them at bay long enough to set up the felblaze charges.
- Korvos aggroed
- Soul of Socrethar yells: They come for me! Stop them, Sargerei!
- Soul of Socrethar yells: You could not stopped me in Shattrath. You will not end me here, fools!
- Korvos defeated
- Soul of Socrethar yells: Just a bit longer, and the bidding will be complete.
- Disciples aggroed
- Soul of Socrethar yells: Fight, you fools! Stop them!
- Disciples killed
- Soul of Socrethar yells: I should have expected as much. No matter.
- Soul of Socrethar yells: The construct is fully powered... the final binding will have to wait. For now, I believe we have a score to settle, fleas!
- Soulbound Construct yells: Death could not stop me - how do you hope too?
- Soulbound Construct yells: You killed me once, mortals. It will not happen again.
- Reverberating Blow
- Soulbound Construct yells: Kneel before me!
- Soulbound Construct yells: Join me in death!
- Soul ejected
- Soul of Socrethar yells: No! The binding... I cannot control...
- Soul of Socrethar yells: My soul itself will strike you down!
- Soul of Socrethar yells: Sargerei! To me!
- Soul of Socrethar yells: I am more powerful than ever!
- Soul of Socrethar yells: Wither away, fools!
- Soul of Socrethar yells: Your life ends here!
- Soul regained to construct
- Soul of Socrethar yells: You cannot control it! It is mine!
- Soul of Socrethar yells: Out! It is too good for you, pitiful soul!
- Soul of Socrethar yells: The nether! It... consumes me...
- Outro (Killed first)
- Archmage Khadgar yells: I've breached the first seal, soon the portal will take us to Gul'dan.
- Outro (Killed second)
- Archmage Khadgar yells: Another seal is open! Oh, I am good.
- Outro (Killed third)
- Archmage Khadgar yells: The portal is nearly complete, the next seal has been removed.
- Outro (Killed fourth)
- Archmage Khadgar yells: The final seal has fallen! My work here is almost finished.
- Outro (Killed last)
- Archmage Khadgar yells: The portal is unlocked! It will take us directly to Gul'dan. Now he will pay for his crimes.
- Unused quote
- Soulbound Construct: Time itself bends to my will!
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2015-07-09): "Fixed an issue where transitioning between phases multiple times could cause adds from phase 2 of the encounter to sometimes incorrectly spawn in phase 1."
- Hotfix (2015-07-06): "
- Hotfix (2015-07-02): "
- Sargerei Dominators no longer immediately attack nearby players after spawning and applying their shield.
- Sargerei Dominators’ Gift of the Man'ari has had its damage reduced by 15% on all difficulties."
- Hotfix (2015-07-01): "Sargerei Dominator now always properly shields Soul of Socrethar after becoming active."
- Hotfix (2015-06-30): "
- Fel Dominators now spawn more frequently in all non-Mythic difficulties.
- Soul of Socrethar's health has been reduced 15% in all non-Mythic difficulties.
- Fel Dominators should now instantly shield Socrethar when spawning."
- Hotfix (2015-06-29): "Sargerei Shadowcaller's Shadow Word: Agony can no longer be copied by Dark Simulacrum."
- Hotfix (2015-06-25): "
- Soulbound Construct while it's under player control should no longer be affected by Rallying Cry.
- Sargerei Dominators now have a very brief delay before attacking after being spawned."
- Hotfix (2015-06-24): "
- Fel Prisons should now be able to correctly trap Sargerei Shadowcallers.
- Soulbound Construct's Reverberating Blow should no longer incorrectly pull mobs from outside of the encounter."
- Patch 6.2.0 (2015-06-23): Added.
|Soul of Socrethar||Soulbound Construct|