Soul Shard (item)
|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 4.0.1.
Soul Shards can be obtained by channeling the spell on a mob or a player from which the caster gains experience or honor by killing. If the mob dies while under the effect of Drain Soul, the player is granted a Soul Shard. The warlock talent skill requires the use of a Soul Shard when cast; however, if the target dies within five seconds and yields experience or honor, the player gains a Soul Shard back. These skills can be used in PvP.
The following spells consume a shard when successfully cast:
The usage of shards varies between warlocks given their particular talents.
Destruction warlocks use , an instant-cast direct-damage spell that consumes a Soul Shard when cast. If the target dies within 5 seconds, and gives experience, the caster gains a replacement Soul Shard.
Demonology warlocks tend to use slightly more Soul Shards for summoning demons than other warlocks, as they tend to summon more frequently, or use Enslave Demon more often. Also, with Improved Stone talents, demonology warlocks may be more apt to use Healthstones, Spellstones, Firestones.
Raiding warlocks use Soul Shards to create Healthstones for their raid members, and to summon other raid members with .
Players can use soul bags to specifically hold Soul Shards in. Their benefit is that they are larger than comparative generic containers, and they automatically sort all incoming Soul Shards to that bag. Their icon on the container bar will have the number of shards remaining displayed upon it.
It is advised to keep a bag full of these at hand. While leveling, it may be a good idea to keep some in the bank because soloing with the Imp to get a shard can be quite annoying, and sometimes difficult.
As of patch 3.1.0, you could farm soul shards from training dummies, making recovering shards if you run low much easier.
Soul Shards may be refunded to the player if their pet despawns under the following circumstances, providing that the pet required a Soul Shard to be summoned:
- If the player and their pet become separated by too great a distance.
- Zoning under certain circumstances.
- When the player chooses to relearn their talents at a class trainer.
- When the player switches from one talent specialization to another using Dual Talent Specialization.
- Main article: Soul Shard
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Now a resource within the user interface instead of an item.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): This item now has a maximum count of 32 in inventory.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07): Honorable kills will now generate a Soul Shard when Drain Soul and Shadowburn are used.