- For the south sea on Draenor, see South Sea. For other seas, see Sea.
The South Seas in Chronicle
The South Seas, also known as the South Sea, is a body of water that surround the southern tip of the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor and the northern coast of Pandaria, mostly noted by travelers on the southern coasts of Stranglethorn Vale and the port of Booty Bay.
South Seas map from the non-canon
Regions adjacent to the South Seas
Notes and trivia
- The South Seas were originally planned to be the setting for World of Warcraft's first expansion. Johnathan Staats describes it as having had a flavor similar to Booty Bay and Stranglethorn Vale and explains that the development team were extremely enthusiastic about pirate themes following the release of the Pirates of the Caribbean film. However, technical limitations meant that the servers were getting too overloaded with data in Azeroth and its continents of Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor, preventing Blizzard from just adding more zones without either upgrading the server equipment or making the code more efficient. Thus, the team decided not to add more Azeroth content and instead use another realm, Outland, as the setting for the first expansion, later named The Burning Crusade. This is also why the Azuremyst Isles and Quel'Thalas are technically on the Outland realm.
- When the Cataclysm destroyed a barrier in Thousand Needles, the South Seas poured into the area, flooding it. Traveler: The Spiral Path says it was the Great Sea.
- Bounty Hunter Kolark's travel across the seas led him to discover [Thorium Headed Arrow].
- The monstrous, flesh-eating bloodwing bat hails from the misty jungle islands of the South Seas, where it is the undisputed ruler of the night sky.
- Giant turtles are also known to live in the southern seas.
- There are also giant squids.
- There is an uncharted island deep in the South Seas from which the rogues of the Uncrowned extracted a rare venom.