Spectral sight is a demonic, magical view of the world. Demon hunters, disciples of Illidan Stormrage, ritually blind themselves in exchange for spectral sight that enables them to better sense their prey.
As a mark of favor for professing his loyalty, Sargeras gifted Illidan with demonic eyesight. Sargeras shot forth twin tentacles of dark green flame through the Well of Eternity portal, and poured it into Illidan's eyes (the soft tissue seared instantly). Supernatural fire continued to pour into his blackened sockets even after the last bit of the eyes had long burned away. The flames suddenly withdrew and there was no sign of the eyes. There now burned within twin flames, fiery balls of the same vicious hue as that which had wreaked havoc on the sorcerer. The fires burned wildly for several more seconds...then faded until they seemed but smoky remnants. The smoke, however, remained, neither dwindling away nor growing stronger.
When his full consciousness returned, his world was suddenly filled with a maddening display of colors and violent energies. Recalling the words of Rhonin, he focused so that it all comes together. Illidan forced order upon matters. The colors began to organize, the energy to flow with regularity and purpose. Shapes began to form from the natural energies inherent in all things, alive or inanimate. Lady Vashj then offered Illidan an amber scarf, which he wrapped over where his eyes had been, and not at all to his surprise, the scarf in no manner inhibited his new abilities.
In the RPG
Spectral Sight is gained when using a demonic claw (or dagger, each case varies) to ritualistically cut out one's own eyes. The sight is comprised of a variety of dark and light shadings. Light reflects off of objects allowing the demon hunter to navigate unhindered. Beings (namely fel users and demons) shine a radiant assortment of colors making them easy to detect even when disguised.
Notes and trivia
- When Illidan was imprisoned in Barrow Dens, he used his spectral sight to see every inch of his cell.
- Warlocks had the ability to detect invisible creatures such as ghosts via
- Players can gain spectral sight by obtaining equipping the . This only allows the players to track Demons and Undead on their Mini-map.
- Xavius had a similar ability. He had replaced his eyes with artificial orbs, giving himself the ability to see energies and colors unseen by others, even dream forms.
All demonic "eyes" might (and seem to) have a connection to "the shadows", or the realm of the dead:
- The warlocks' Eye of Kilrogg spell conjures a demonic eye that is linked to the souls of warlocks and is a variation of necromantic magics. The satyr warlock Peroth'arn conjures multiple demonic eyes that can spot the players "hiding in the shadows" along with Illidan.
- Shadowmoon Valley is haunted. Ghosts litter the landscape, stuck there for all eternity. The warlock Chief Apothecary Hildagard sent the player to collect the ever-burning ash that is found near any of the fel lava pools of western Shadowmoon. Anywhere near green lava. Once collected, she makes something out of the ash. She crafted the , which allows its wearer to see the spirits of Shadowmoon Valley when the goggles are equipped.
- The Jadefire Shifters in Jadefire Run were hiding in plain sight in the guise of friendly caretakers. Feronas Sindweller offers you a blindfold soaked in demon blood, which shows even the most oblivious fool the true nature of any demon. He warns that gazing through the veil for too long without practice will break your mind.
- ^ The Sundering, pg. 85
- ^ The Sundering, pg. 144
- ^ Classes of World of Warcraft: Demon Hunter
- ^ The Sundering, pg. 82
- ^ The Sundering
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan
- ^ Knaak, Richard A.. "Six", The Well of Eternity, 151 (ebook). ISBN 978-0-7434-8902-7.
- ^ Knaak, Richard A.. "Twenty", The Well of Eternity, 511 (ebook). ISBN 978-0-7434-8902-7.
- ^ Knaak, Richard A.. "Six", The Well of Eternity, 160 (ebook). ISBN 978-0-7434-8902-7.
- ^ Knaak, Richard A.. "Twenty", The Well of Eternity, 513 (ebook). ISBN 978-0-7434-8902-7.